Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
08-04-2018, 11:40 PM   #5296
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m still using the original strap (but considering an incognito one). For walking I use a regular rucksack with my two normal auxiliary lenses in the side water pockets, and a water bladder/drinking tube inside the pack. The most interesting feature however is the B-grip Uno that I put on one of the straps, that keeps camera and lens secure while relieving weight around the neck. Great piece of kit.

08-05-2018, 02:33 AM - 1 Like   #5297
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was wondering around "the shambles" area of York and noticed a Camera store. Something I have really not seen in a long time. As I walked up I saw Nikon, Olympus, Canon and Yikes PENTAX in the window. Right there, was a K-1II body and a K-70 with some lens or another. Around the corner was another window with real PENTAX lenses. It was really hot so maybe it was just a dream. Anyway, we stopped off at nearby pub, had a pint of bitter and some fish sticks. Good day all around.
08-05-2018, 02:44 AM   #5298
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I was wondering around "the shambles" area of York and noticed a Camera store. Something I have really not seen in a long time. As I walked up I saw Nikon, Olympus, Canon and Yikes PENTAX in the window. Right there, was a K-1II body and a K-70 with some lens or another. Around the corner was another window with real PENTAX lenses. It was really hot so maybe it was just a dream. Anyway, we stopped off at nearby pub, had a pint of bitter and some fish sticks. Good day all around.
This one?
https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=qMVmW4L6J8KegQbn45SwCw&q=york+camera+mart...amera%2520Mart

08-05-2018, 12:27 PM   #5299
PDL
Pentaxian

slartbartfast01 Yes, that is the one the pub is the Golden Lion up the road a bit. Good beer (Black Sheep Best Bitter) and interesting fish sticks (cod and breaded).
Google Maps

08-05-2018, 10:46 PM   #5300
Veteran Member

So after a full week in the Canadian Rockies, I saw one fellow Pentax user...

A white KR or KX with the matching white 18-55 kit lens. Other than that it was my dad sporting his K3 II and myself with my KP.

So last summer on holiday, I saw more in Washington State than I did this year.

Saw lots of crop Nikon entry level D3XXX crap, a few higher end crop bodies and a little full frame. Saw a lot of low end Rebel crap from Canon too and a few high end full frame. Also a few Sonys, a few Panasonic’s and a very rare Fuji all MILC jobs but larger cameras still dominated by a mirror/optical view finder. Did see handful of high end point and shots. Oh and plenty of phones.

Most popular lens kit 18-55 (approximately) and 70-300 (approximately). The DSLR was the bulk of the cameras if people weren’t using smart phones.

Would appear the DSLR is alive and well.
08-06-2018, 05:45 AM   #5301
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was the only Pentax shooter I noticed at the Bioblitz this weekend, though I wasn't looking too hard. One of the guys I'm familiar with shoots an Olympus 4/3 rig with great results. Nice and light, and small, with an EVF so it's usable out in the field. He lost lots of most of his fingers from frostbite, so size is an issue...

But plenty of good rigs in use documenting wildlife!
08-11-2018, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #5302
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fellow members of my Camaro club have DSLRs, the usual run of the mill Canikony, but when we are around each other we share our passion for photography, and mostly talk about lenses/focal lengths/ composition/ etc......
I would rather see someone shooting with real photo equipment instead of cellphones/gadgets.
One time I was questioned why I shoot Pentax,,. I responded that I have shot Pentax all my life, it just suits me, and Pentax has never failed me for getting the images I want......

08-11-2018, 11:10 PM   #5303
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
Fellow members of my Camaro club have DSLRs, the usual run of the mill Canikony, but when we are around each other we share our passion for photography, and mostly talk about lenses/focal lengths/ composition/ etc......
I would rather see someone shooting with real photo equipment instead of cellphones/gadgets.
One time I was questioned why I shoot Pentax,,. I responded that I have shot Pentax all my life, it just suits me, and Pentax has never failed me for getting the images I want......
I haven't been asked for a while but to that question I respond that when I was choosing a camera/system Pentax was clearly the best choice available (K200D vs the likes of Canon 400D, Nikon D40, Sony A350 etc).

The difference is less clear now due to aperture block failures in the cheaper DSLRs and competition from mirrorless.
08-12-2018, 06:46 AM   #5304
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I haven't been asked for a while but to that question I respond that when I was choosing a camera/system Pentax was clearly the best choice available (K200D vs the likes of Canon 400D, Nikon D40, Sony A350 etc).

The difference is less clear now due to aperture block failures in the cheaper DSLRs and competition from mirrorless.
Well the cheapest DSLR I have had was the K-x and it never let me down, in fact my daughter is still using it to this day with great results. I have never had any of the issues with any of my camera bodies like you mentioned.
As for the mirrorless? I dont even bother with them, to me they are just the lastest "new fangled" gadget that folks are jumping on the bandwagon and chomping at the bit to get their hands on, reminds me of the insanely huge lines outside the stores every time they announce a new Iphone.....sheeple....
08-12-2018, 09:21 AM   #5305
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a video on YouTube of Adriel Heisey, using a classic Pentax 6x7 to photograph archaeological sites from his ultralight aircraft. I just tried to find it for the link without success but I am sure it is still there since it was made recently in conjunction with his recent book.
08-12-2018, 06:06 PM   #5306

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Chinese made goods are mostly subpar--at least at present

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Personally, the country of manufacture wouldn't stop me from buying a product. The quality certainly would, but as with all products, quality issues soon rear their heads and once they prove problematic, they're resolved (at least with major brands).
Mike, I wish I had your faith in major brands. Witness how Apple has ignored the fatal flaws in their products, over and over. I know for sure that Subaru is ignoring issues, like the ghostwalking that their 2005-10 Outback has, which is severe and nearly killed me and my husband .

At any rate, I have put together a one-page synopsis of several YouTube videos about Chinese guitars, discussing various problems that they have.

Synopsis of Chinese Fake Martins and Telecasters
Carla Kelly, Luthier—8/12/2018

Chinese Telecaster
• Slipping tuners
• Multiple finish flaws
• Nut of poor design, material and execution
• Fret ends not trimmed right
• Tuner drillings massively out of alignment
• Neck not flush with body—would hugely affect playing
• Hole for inset bridge plate very sloppy fit
• Screws on bridge adjustment missing
• Strings not properly aligned to neck
• Bridge plate misaligned
• Total waste of money

Chinese Martin D45S
• No case (paid for one)
• Whole guitar very dusty
• Unmatched, grainy (“not so nice”) top
• Internal sticker out of place
• Abalone binding is a cheap plastic sticker
• Peghead logo is poor
• Bridge is a cheap (“nasty looking”) piece of plastic
• Mahogany bridge and fretboard instead of ebony
• Would break up if played hard, unlike a true D45
• Asked for no Martin badging but got it anyway
• Needed serious setup on neck ($100 by luthier)
• Good value for the money but not even close to a D45

Bottom line: The guitars with fake branding are being confiscated now by customs’ agents, so don’t even try to buy one. If you do, the quality is a crap shoot from guitar to guitar and it’s illegal in the US to sell one. They usually need substantial work by a luthier to get them set up so they’re playable. The wood is often quite poor; because they just slam them together, there is no quality control. The practice by the Chinese factories that produce them is to close down whenever they get too much bad feedback and open with a new company name. They don’t take returns (which would be prohibitively expensive anyway), so IF you even get it, you’re stuck. As a luthier, I found the fake Martins to have almost no sustain and tinny trebles. The bass, like most rosewood dreadnaughts, is deep and warm, but on the fake, is muddy. The many problems they come with don’tt bode well for longevity. There are nicer guitars for the money, for sure; but some people will just love having a “Martin” to show off, and a lot of players can’t tell the difference.

The 1970’s Japanese “lawsuit” guitars were much better built, used quality materials, and have stood the test of time. I’ve owned dozens, repaired bunches. They were hand-made copies of American guitars without the fake branding. (It’s a little-known fact that the Japanese sent their luthiers to Spain for training before they began making “lawsuit” guitars.) The Chinese have no compunction about stealing the good names of American manufacturers and delivering crap; I wouldn’t buy one but I’m a luthier and brand theft offends me. No doubt some are good guitars, with work. According to some who have bought them, if you deal directly with the factory instead of going through the MANY distributors, you get a much better outcome.

Last edited by barefootdesigns; 08-12-2018 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Typos
08-12-2018, 06:46 PM   #5307
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote

And from my perspective, I would add SDM failure in high-end lenses.
08-12-2018, 08:59 PM - 2 Likes   #5308
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barefootdesigns Quote
Mike, I wish I had your faith in major brands. Witness how Apple has ignored the fatal flaws in their products, over and over. I know for sure that Subaru is ignoring issues, like the ghostwalking that their 2005-10 Outback has, which is severe and nearly killed me and my husband .At any rate, I have put together a one-page synopsis of several YouTube videos about Chinese guitars, discussing various problems that they have
I don't think there is a major brand I have seen that has faithfully rectified every design/engineering flaw they encountered- they have money and lawyers that can make very good cost to risk analysis of whether it is worth it to them to own up and fix something or not. I used to install and now design plumbing systems for large commercial buildings, and I have found that if I make an design mistake that causes a performance issue or cost burden to the owner, my firm will be paying for it one way or another- we are not so fortunate.

As far as musical instruments, there are most certainly quality Chinese manufacturers, but they ones that produce an honest product under their own names- I have no respect for the junky knock-offs many corporations proliferate. I have a Shen Double bass that is of very good workmanship and is comparable to the Eastern European products at the same price point. I have acoustic and electric basses built in USA, Czech Republic, Indonesia, and China - all of very good quality, but none of them were less than $800.
08-13-2018, 02:56 AM   #5309
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
Well the cheapest DSLR I have had was the K-x and it never let me down, in fact my daughter is still using it to this day with great results. I have never had any of the issues with any of my camera bodies like you mentioned.
As for the mirrorless? I dont even bother with them, to me they are just the lastest "new fangled" gadget that folks are jumping on the bandwagon and chomping at the bit to get their hands on, reminds me of the insanely huge lines outside the stores every time they announce a new Iphone.....sheeple....
The K-x pre-dates the aperture block failures and the only really important feature it's missing is AF fine tuning. Still, in it's day I'd have had no problem in recommending it to new users.

Mirrorless cameras have definite advantages over SLRs. The most commonly mentioned one is size but that depends to a great degree on the lenses you use with it. Other advantages are in AF and correct exposure and white balance. They have disadvantages of course but I certainly don't think they deserve to be dismissed as a new-fangled gadget without merit.
08-13-2018, 03:07 AM - 1 Like   #5310
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barefootdesigns Quote
Mike, I wish I had your faith in major brands. Witness how Apple has ignored the fatal flaws in their products, over and over. I know for sure that Subaru is ignoring issues, like the ghostwalking that their 2005-10 Outback has, which is severe and nearly killed me and my husband .

At any rate, I have put together a one-page synopsis of several YouTube videos about Chinese guitars, discussing various problems that they have.

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Synopsis of Chinese Fake Martins and Telecasters
I'm not suggesting that Chinese products are perfect. Far from it. I'm just saying that major brands using Chinese manufacturing facilities are turning out some great equipment, the quality of which has improved immensely over the years.

I have a Chinese Yamaha acoustic that I bought a few years back. It was cheap compared to the American, Czech and British-made guitars that I own, but the workmanship inside and out is superb. If I'm being super-picky, the lacquer (or whatever it is - polyurethane, I imagine) is perhaps a little too thickly-applied to let it sing fully. Still, it sounds good and plays very well.

Amongst my other guitars, I own a relatively-expensive Guild dreadnought. I forget which model - it's a Westerly, RI guitar built not long before they shifted manufacturing to Mexico (I think). Superb instrument, yet its geometry is such that the break angle of the strings over the saddle was too shallow straight from the workshop. I had to have the bridge modified to increase the break angle. That's a common problem with Guilds that has been acknowledged for many years before my guitar was built. A much older F30 I owned years previously was no different.

Take-aways from the above? (1) Stick with the major brands, and Chinese manufacturing can be excellent (not perfect - but then, what is?). (2) Even the best quality, reputable, major brand products from the USA, UK, Japan and other highly-developed countries aren't immune to design and quality issues...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-13-2018 at 03:13 AM.