Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
08-15-2018, 10:34 PM - 1 Like   #5311

Photos: Gallery
Well, my mountain bike is all-wheel drive (that is both of them!). Boat is a folding model. Lathe requires I build a bed for the cast iron bits to mount on and is almost impossible to find aftermarket parts/accessories. So, shooting Pentax just fits with the way I do things. And I would not change any of them. K1000 in 1982 and happy with every Pentax body and lens since. Have not met a Pentax user at any camera club meeting or anywhere else. Happy to be the odd one out. Especially knowing all my kit cost less than a single lens for some folks. Long live the underdog!

08-23-2018, 08:10 AM   #5312
Forum Member

I was part of a photography crew for an pop art festival in san francisco two years ago. I was the only Pentax.
08-24-2018, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #5313

Based on my own experience of over the past 2 years in Sydney, the majority of tourists that come to Sydney use either Canon or Nikon entry-level bodies. For enthusiasts, Sony users are becoming more common. Occasionally, I see Fuji and Olympus. I guess we are rare because I have encountered only 3 Pentax users over the past 2 years. Only one of them bring along the Pentax camera. The others two just said they use Pentax.
08-24-2018, 08:23 PM   #5314
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

over the past two years I've seen two Pentax photographers, around my district, anywhere for that matter.

08-24-2018, 11:09 PM - 4 Likes   #5315

I have never seen another Pentax user in the Wild.
Apparently we are like Unicorns or Bigfoot.
There is talk of us but, few have the pictures to prove it.
08-25-2018, 12:48 AM - 2 Likes   #5316
Banned

Photos: Albums
yes, we do not have many owners of this brand in Ukraine, but thanks to me and my publications in public and competitions, the situation may change. Just about Pentax and pentaxists there was a wrong opinion, as if it is such an introvert to itself, which is uninteresting to anyone but its pictures are the same, incomprehensible and uninteresting.
But I and my works speak about the opposite and already there are people who thanks to me bought the cameras of our beloved brand.
08-25-2018, 11:46 PM   #5317
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Yuri Leo Quote
yes, we do not have many owners of this brand in Ukraine, but thanks to me and my publications in public and competitions, the situation may change. Just about Pentax and pentaxists there was a wrong opinion, as if it is such an introvert to itself, which is uninteresting to anyone but its pictures are the same, incomprehensible and uninteresting.
But I and my works speak about the opposite and already there are people who thanks to me bought the cameras of our beloved brand.
Good work going forth and spreading the word.

08-26-2018, 12:41 AM - 1 Like   #5318
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Yuri Leo Quote
Our Pentax saviour!!!
09-08-2018, 05:58 AM   #5319
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
I've read the "pros dissing Pentax" thread and had a bit of a laugh. I shot high-end Canon for 30 years in my film days but am at a more laidback place now during semi-retirement. For the switch to DSLR, I couldn't justify the expense - particularly for good glass - that Canon entailed and went with Pentax. I am very happy with that choice despite the occasional sneer from my former Canon compatriots.

Now, my topic. During the recent Worldwide Photo Walk, I joined 40+ area photographers for a fun day of shooting followed by a group lunch and wrap-up. In that group, I saw exactly zero Pentax DSLRs - aside from my own. I found myself "justifying" my choice not to go with Canikon during good natured discussions. Not so much distain but more "why in the world would a serious photographer NOT buy Canikon??"

Are we really that sparse out in the world?
I recently spent three weeks out in the SW USA visiting some of the National Parks out there. In Yellowstone I saw a man with a Pentax DSLR camera. I couldn't ID the model though. A few days later, at the site of the 1976 Winter Olympics in Denver, I chatted with a man who was using a Kx. He had a standard 55 mm lens on it. He said he wished he had a telephoto lens since he was taking pics of bison a few days ago and he couldn't get decent shots from where he was standing. He said he liked the camera and that he had it for about 40 years. However, I don't think the camera was introduced that early. Apart from these events I seldom see Pentaxes. What I did see on my trip was vast numbers of people who were using cell phones to take photos. Most people are not photography enthusiasts and merely want to record where they've been. I believe that as time goes by users of DSLR cameras will become fewer and fewer and some manufacturers will close shop. The convenience of a cell phone for photography cannot be denied. Also, the picture quality is more than adequate for the majority of casual photographers. I hope that Pentax survives, but I have my doubts.
09-08-2018, 06:22 AM   #5320
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eyrr Quote
Would you believe fireworks? More than 10 years ago I was taking pictures at a fireworks display and someone was shooting them with a dslr handheld with flash. I wonder how they turned out. Would the flash have brought the shutter speed up enough to give a usable result? I'd try it myself, but I don't want to incur the loathing of everybody within 500m...
I'd believe that! Some years ago I shot a fireworks display in Charleston WV over the Kanawha River with my LX using, IIRC a 19mm Vivitar lens. With the LX on a tripod and a cable release I wasted a frame or two to set the aperture to keep shutter open long enough to record the totality of the displays, and just sat back and let the camera do its thing. The results were really good! A tribute to the wonder of the mighty LX.

---------- Post added 09-08-18 at 09:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Yes I put the strap around my neck. It keeps the camera from falling to the ground as I switch lenses. I keep thinking pros are going to see its not around my shoulder and think I suck. Or as Ken Rockwell says if I have the pentax label up without being sponsored I am a sell out!
Help out or let it be. We all make mistakes.
Re: the lens shade. I've had Canikon owners, kids generally, ask me what the funny thing on my len was! They were referring to the petal lens hood. As far as not using a strap of SOME sort: Everyone drops a camera at some point. My "bad" was many years ago, and somehow the camera survived. I favor the BlackRapid type, no need to worry about the camera strap slipping off the shoulder.

---------- Post added 09-08-18 at 09:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
I recently spent three weeks out in the SW USA visiting some of the National Parks out there. In Yellowstone I saw a man with a Pentax DSLR camera. I couldn't ID the model though. A few days later, at the site of the 1976 Winter Olympics in Denver, I chatted with a man who was using a Kx. He had a standard 55 mm lens on it. He said he wished he had a telephoto lens since he was taking pics of bison a few days ago and he couldn't get decent shots from where he was standing. He said he liked the camera and that he had it for about 40 years. However, I don't think the camera was introduced that early. Apart from these events I seldom see Pentaxes. What I did see on my trip was vast numbers of people who were using cell phones to take photos. Most people are not photography enthusiasts and merely want to record where they've been. I believe that as time goes by users of DSLR cameras will become fewer and fewer and some manufacturers will close shop. The convenience of a cell phone for photography cannot be denied. Also, the picture quality is more than adequate for the majority of casual photographers. I hope that Pentax survives, but I have my doubts.
If he'd had a KX for about 40 years it was part of the rollout of the bayonet mount Pentaxes, which also included the K 1000. I have one of those old KXs, it is a wonderful camera. All metal, TTL center weighted metering, depth of field preview, mirror lockup, all exposure data visible in the finder. About all it lacks are exchangeable screens and a winder. I scored mine in excellent condition with a 50mm f1.4 lens for about $130, less than the inferior K 1000 often goes for. See this: Pentax KX - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
09-08-2018, 07:20 AM   #5321
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I'd believe that! Some years ago I shot a fireworks display in Charleston WV over the Kanawha River with my LX using, IIRC a 19mm Vivitar lens. With the LX on a tripod and a cable release I wasted a frame or two to set the aperture to keep shutter open long enough to record the totality of the displays, and just sat back and let the camera do its thing. The results were really good! A tribute to the wonder of the mighty LX.

---------- Post added 09-08-18 at 09:30 AM ----------

Re: the lens shade. I've had Canikon owners, kids generally, ask me what the funny thing on my len was! They were referring to the petal lens hood. As far as not using a strap of SOME sort: Everyone drops a camera at some point. My "bad" was many years ago, and somehow the camera survived. I favor the BlackRapid type, no need to worry about the camera strap slipping off the shoulder.

---------- Post added 09-08-18 at 09:50 AM ----------

If he'd had a KX for about 40 years it was part of the rollout of the bayonet mount Pentaxes, which also included the K 1000. I have one of those old KXs, it is a wonderful camera. All metal, TTL center weighted metering, depth of field preview, mirror lockup, all exposure data visible in the finder. About all it lacks are exchangeable screens and a winder. I scored mine in excellent condition with a 50mm f1.4 lens for about $130, less than the inferior K 1000 often goes for. See this: Pentax KX - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
Hi GR. The man had a Kx not a KX which I think is a different camera. The Kx, I think, was introduced about 10 years ago. The KX is older than that.
09-08-2018, 11:16 AM   #5322
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
The man had a Kx not a KX which I think is a different camera. The Kx, I think, was introduced about 10 years ago. The KX is older than that.
The Pentax K-x DSLR was released in 2009 (nine years ago).
The Pentax KX FSLR was released in 1975. (43 years ago).

The talk of the SLR being doomed resurfaces every decade. I'm old enough to remember this in the 80's with Kodak's film disk cameras, then in the 90's with APS film cameras, then during the 2000's when digital replaced film, and now with phones and mirrorless.

In terms of the masses, yes, the DSLR and every other type of camera has been replaced by phones. But the cell phone has become an appliance or the Swiss Army knife of technology. The DSLR, IMO will remain the tool of preference for hobbyists and professional photographers.
09-08-2018, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #5323
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bethor Quote
I have never seen another Pentax user in the Wild.
Apparently we are like Unicorns or Bigfoot.
There is talk of us but, few have the pictures to prove it.
I once heard that a man took a photo of Pentaxian, it was blurry though, and grainy, they said, but a Pentaxian it was, swore the man...
09-08-2018, 08:22 PM   #5324
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
The Pentax K-x DSLR was released in 2009 (nine years ago).
The Pentax KX FSLR was released in 1975. (43 years ago).

The talk of the SLR being doomed resurfaces every decade. I'm old enough to remember this in the 80's with Kodak's film disk cameras, then in the 90's with APS film cameras, then during the 2000's when digital replaced film, and now with phones and mirrorless.

In terms of the masses, yes, the DSLR and every other type of camera has been replaced by phones. But the cell phone has become an appliance or the Swiss Army knife of technology. The DSLR, IMO will remain the tool of preference for hobbyists and professional photographers.
I agree that hobbyists and pros will always use the best equipment available to get the extra quality that can be obtained. However, the availability of this superior photo equipment will become rarer as the smaller camera companies start to lose money and quit the business. There will always be DSLR's or something superior but they will never in my opinion be as universally appealing as the cell phone cameras which are so compact and increasingly versatile in photography.
09-09-2018, 04:08 AM   #5325
Pentaxian

I think that there will still be DSLRs in the future. There are some who will have difficulty with EVFs. However, which brand survives is another thing. I hope the Pentax niche will be stronger.