Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2018, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #5356

Photos: Gallery
Thankfully WE ARE RARE, for this difference gives us a welcome edge on the artistic side! (Same argument applies in my case when shooting with a traditional 4/3 kit like the E-5 & Leica D or Zuiko lens, I guess.)

10-13-2018, 03:10 AM - 1 Like   #5357
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marathonianbull Quote
Thankfully WE ARE RARE, for this difference gives us a welcome edge on the artistic side!
I have that thought every time I mount one of my FA Ltds on the K-1
10-15-2018, 03:14 PM   #5358

I saw a guy about two weeks ago in Gettysburg, PA. He was shooting his (dslr) K-x. For what it's worth, he looked like he was having the time of his life. I'm not saying Pentax had anything to do with it, but he was happy and he was shooting an old Pentax.
10-16-2018, 06:29 PM - 4 Likes   #5359
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RookieGuy Quote
I saw a guy about two weeks ago in Gettysburg, PA. He was shooting his (dslr) K-x. For what it's worth, he looked like he was having the time of his life. I'm not saying Pentax had anything to do with it, but he was happy and he was shooting an old Pentax.
I shoot with an "old" Pentax k-x (two of them really). Maybe I'm old, too. However, age is just a number. THink about this growing older is inevitable, but growing up is optional. Me and my K-x's don;t want to grow up, yet.

10-17-2018, 06:00 AM   #5360
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RookieGuy Quote
I saw a guy about two weeks ago in Gettysburg, .... he looked like he was having the time of his life.
That set my imagination running.
01-29-2019, 04:42 PM   #5361
Pentaxian

Another year has passed for our Dinagyang Festival. The festival is a challenging event for photographers. Photographers come from all over the country and would wake up at 3:00 am to be at the stage by 4:00 am to have the best seat in the house despite the fact that the contest starts at 9:00 a.m. I was the only one using Pentax. Canikon dominated the scene and there were 2 Sony. We're still rare. Let's see what 2019 will give Pentax. I hope there will be a great boost for users.
01-29-2019, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #5362
Pentaxian

I just don't see that many people carrying around DSLR's or sophisticated mirrorless cameras that much anymore. Even though Canon, Nikon, Sony and Fuji are selling like hotcakes compared to Pentax...I don't see much evidence of it out there.

Used to see significantly more cameras back 5-10 years ago at the same outdoor events I go to now, as I did 5-10 years ago. Still see people out snapping away, but almost invariably they're now using Cell phone cameras.

Maybe I don't go to the 'right' places which wouldn't surprise me.

I don't know, not sure what to make of it.

01-30-2019, 06:54 AM   #5363
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I just don't see that many people carrying around DSLR's or sophisticated mirrorless cameras that much anymore. Even though Canon, Nikon, Sony and Fuji are selling like hotcakes compared to Pentax...I don't see much evidence of it out there.

Used to see significantly more cameras back 5-10 years ago at the same outdoor events I go to now, as I did 5-10 years ago. Still see people out snapping away, but almost invariably they're now using Cell phone cameras.

Go to elementary school Christmas programs. At least at mine, which I imagine to be typical, there are usually 6-8 dedicated cameras among the several hundred parents. Split pretty evenly between ILCs and bridge cameras. Almost always Canons and Nikons, except me. Also a handful of point-and-shoots. Of course there are a lot more people trying to digitally zoom with their iPhones in the bad lighting.

With a K-3ii, a 55-300 and an aperture around 5.6 I'm usually pushing ISO to 3200 or even higher, so I can't imagine what kind of noise and quality they're getting on phones or even bridge cameras. They're probably shooting 4K video of third graders horrifically playing Jingle Bells on the recorder in near darkness.
01-30-2019, 07:29 AM   #5364
Pentaxian

Just found out that one of the new Members of our local U3A Digital Photo Group, which I run, has a K-1, which he is using to good effect (some extremely good nighttime shots!) in our competitions

It's been 2 years since the only other Pentax DSLR user left the group, and so it's great to see someone new who has one and certainly knows how to use it.

Of the 20 active Group Members, most use P&S &/or Bridge cameras &/or phones - or combos of those -, 3-4 use Panasonic 4/3rds mirrorless, and mabe only 3-4 (now +1) - use APS-C or FF DSLRs and we also use a phone &/or a P&S as the backups/carry-anywhere.
02-01-2019, 01:01 AM   #5365
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In my local cafe, chatted with a young lady who has and uses a Spotmatic, rare to see Pentax people here.
02-01-2019, 02:26 AM   #5366
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote

I reckon you got it spot on there, why carry an expensive and cumbersome camera when your phone can do it. Certainly amongst the "younger generation" who have grown up with smart phones, the concept of a device that just takes photographs is a little too much to consider.
02-03-2019, 09:03 AM - 2 Likes   #5367
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barefootdesigns Quote
grhazelton, while I'm no pro, I've shot fireworks from the hip on various occasions with good luck. I even did it with a point-n-shoot with good outcome--no flash, special filters or other stuff, just hand held. I'm tough and can handle the loathing. Sorry for the duplicate and a couple I wanted to remove, but can't seem to.

02-06-2019, 05:51 PM   #5368
Veteran Member

I saw a Japanese tourist carrying a K-1 sometime before Christmas, missed speaking to him, and as I turned round thinking I would say something he had entered his hotel.
I do seem to consistently see one (digital) Pentax per year though.

Interesting to hear that Sony isn't represented well in other places, there's a lot of them here! Haven't seen Canon as often lately though.
02-07-2019, 01:20 AM   #5369
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
I saw a Japanese tourist carrying a K-1 sometime before Christmas, missed speaking to him, and as I turned round thinking I would say something he had entered his hotel.
I do seem to consistently see one (digital) Pentax per year though.

Interesting to hear that Sony isn't represented well in other places, there's a lot of them here! Haven't seen Canon as often lately though.
I had a visitor from Olympus Singapore. We are using their Endoscopy system. I was surprised they said that Sony isn't that popular in Singapore. It's either true or they just don't like to say that Sony is ahead of them in the camera business.
02-07-2019, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #5370
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I had a visitor from Olympus Singapore. We are using their Endoscopy system. I was surprised they said that Sony isn't that popular in Singapore. It's either true or they just don't like to say that Sony is ahead of them in the camera business.

My impression is that the Singapore market fills up with the established brands: Canon, Nikon, (Pentax), and Apple.