Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2019, 01:52 PM - 5 Likes   #5371
Pentaxian

Had just arrived at the London Classic Car Show (London - the Excel Centre) this morning, when a guy came up to me and asked "Is that a K-1?"

Unfortunately had to say "No, it's a K-70" (and why? - K-1 is too heavy for me), and then outlined what it was (is) and why - having 3x other Pentax bodies - I had bought it recently (GOOD body, GREAT price = £395 from SRS in the Xmas sales! ), and what it has to offer. Somehow I suspect that he is now interested in Pentax because he said that he has a Canon "whatever"( but probably "entry level") but had given up on it in situations like this show because had to up the ISO and was not "impressed" with the results in those circumstances. .

I think he might be interested in this brand in the future

PS: unfortunately, best current price from a Pentax Pro dealer is now the SRS price of £595 with "free" f1.8 50mm lens - I paid £395 for the body a couple of weeks ago

PPS: saw a few Canon shooters with the flash "up", but didn't have to use mine 'cause, with a bit of practice (first time I had used the K-70 "in anger"!), it produced some pretty damned good images in the prevailing indoor lighting.!

Last edited by jeallen01; 02-16-2019 at 05:25 AM.
02-16-2019, 04:51 AM   #5372
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
I too bought a K-70 body from SRS on the run up to Xmas. The K-70 was preceded by a K-30 and before that a K100D. I have to say the K-70 is a worthy successor to the K-30. How many people do I know locally with Pentax equipment? only 2! it used to be 3 but one has now defected to Nikon. In my travels both in the UK and elsewhere I have seldom met anyone else with a Pentax camera. More commonly the vast majority favour Nikon/Canon. Why??

Last edited by gramar; 02-16-2019 at 04:52 AM. Reason: typo
02-16-2019, 05:24 AM   #5373
Pentaxian

Quite simply because most people who consider buying a "decent" camera - particularly an APS-C DSLR - have heard of Canon and Nikon, seen others using them and that's pretty much all that is on offer in the few shops that actually have any DSLRs at all - and because the Pentax brand is "invisible" to them in those shops and the online stores!
02-16-2019, 05:24 AM   #5374
Pentaxian

Quite simply because most people who consider buying a "decent" camera - particularly an APS-C DSLR - have heard of Canon and Nikon, seen others using them and that's pretty much all that is on offer in the few shops that actually have any DSLRs at all - and because the Pentax brand is "invisible" to them in those shops and the online stores!

02-17-2019, 02:55 AM - 1 Like   #5375
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gramar Quote
I too bought a K-70 body from SRS on the run up to Xmas. The K-70 was preceded by a K-30 and before that a K100D. I have to say the K-70 is a worthy successor to the K-30. How many people do I know locally with Pentax equipment? only 2! it used to be 3 but one has now defected to Nikon. In my travels both in the UK and elsewhere I have seldom met anyone else with a Pentax camera. More commonly the vast majority favour Nikon/Canon. Why??
A lot of people ask me for advice on what camera to buy but mostly their eyes glaze over at my first piece of advice for casual novices - look beyond CaNikon. For those not glazed by the first piece of advice, the second one gets them - get a decent lens even if it means getting a lower spec camera.

Mostly they want me to confirm that the cheap CaNikon DSLR with crappy kit lens that they've already got their eyes on is OK, and I won't do that. It's never the best option.
02-17-2019, 10:01 AM - 2 Likes   #5376
Pentaxian

I met another Pentax shooter out on Dartmoor for the first time ever this afternoon: a young guy shooting Velvia 50 with a 67. He wasn't a forum member but I let him know that we're here, and it was a joy to see such a beautiful classic camera doing exactly the sort of photography it was made for.
02-22-2019, 03:08 AM - 2 Likes   #5377
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This semester I have a wonderfully small class of 14 B&W film photography high school students. The camera tally is 6 Canon, 4 Nikon, and 4 Pentax. What is unusual this semester is that those Pentaxes are usually K1000, Spotmatic, or SF-10. Instead there are two P3, a P3N, and a MZ-10.

02-22-2019, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #5378
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are we really that rare? Well, let me ask, how many other brands have users that appreciate shooting with old manual lenses?
02-22-2019, 01:26 PM   #5379
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Are we really that rare? Well, let me ask, how many other brands have users that appreciate shooting with old manual lenses?
Well actually the early success of Sony e-mount cameras was built on exactly that. The enthusiasm continues for many e-mount users.
02-22-2019, 02:16 PM   #5380
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Well actually the early success of Sony e-mount cameras was built on exactly that. The enthusiasm continues for many e-mount users.
But how do they compare to Pentax shooters? Which brand has the largest following?
02-27-2019, 11:51 PM   #5381

I believe it was the Best Buy site I visited recently that listed every camera brand known, but not Pentax. Funny thing is, they were referred to me by Ricoh, and yet they don't even stock a single camera by them.

To the guy who ran into someone in FL, I was spending over a month of every year in Disney World for well over a decade. Almost the entire time sporting a red K-X. Could have been me? lol
03-02-2019, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #5382
Veteran Member

A slight tangent, but after reporting a couple of recent purchases that have been from second hand / pawn shops and reading this thread of the rarity of Pentax users, I wonder if anyone here has ever read a post relating to a purchase of used equipment by another member and gone "hey that sounds familiar, that was mine!"
03-03-2019, 03:22 AM   #5383
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A chap came into the local museum sporting a K-S2, with a sigma zoom, I think it unfortunate that the camera shops push the sigma lenses in place of the Pentax lenses. Rarely see a Pentax anything around here.
03-03-2019, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #5384
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
A chap came into the local museum sporting a K-S2, with a sigma zoom, I think it unfortunate that the camera shops push the sigma lenses in place of the Pentax lenses. Rarely see a Pentax anything around here.
Pentax is great bang for buck, but sometimes Tamron and Sigma are just cheaper and still plenty good enough. No shop pushed anything on me since I buy my gear online, but after the DA 18-135 my second lens was a $30 Sigma 70-300. (I eventually upgraded to a DA 55-300, but it cost a bit more.) I also bought a broken Sigma 18-200 that I repaired for fun. Even though I prefer the 18-135 I could see the appeal of the Sigma that would sway someone to buy it for the extra range and lower price on the used market.

In particular the Tamron and Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 are both such great performers that I can't justify the extra cost for the Pentax DA* 16-50. (Especially with the worry that the SDM could fail and turn the Pentax into a manual focus lens until I could get it converted.)

That said, I've found that official Pentax lenses are the cat's pajamas if you can afford them. My DA* 50-135 is one of my favorite lenses to use. (I just had to wait a long time to score a good deal on eBay.) I do appreciate that Sigma and Tamron provide Pentax users with extra options though.
03-03-2019, 09:12 AM - 2 Likes   #5385
Pentaxian

I just met a Pentax shooter at my local wildlife preserve. Was sporting a Pentax K-1 with a DA*300mm. He was mentioning that he was going to buy a Nikon for the longer lenses as he was a bird shooter and was moving to a place where the birds perch quite high into the trees, but he also mentioned that he'd never give up his K-1 and lovely assortment of glass.