Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
In particular the Tamron and Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 are both such great performers
Yes I must say the Tamron is a beauty

03-03-2019, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #5387

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
A chap came into the local museum sporting a K-S2, with a sigma zoom, I think it unfortunate that the camera shops push the sigma lenses in place of the Pentax lenses. Rarely see a Pentax anything around here.
The only Sigma lens I will ever own was a 28-70 f2.8-4 (my first autofocus lens in the mid-1990s.) Useful range, but more flare than I’m used to.
It quietly fell apart in my husband’s hand one day as he was about to place it on a camera. I replaced it with the Pentax 28-70 f4, which is still in one piece although rarely used nowadays. I haven’t considered buying a non-Pentax lens since.
03-04-2019, 02:03 AM - 1 Like   #5388
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ERNR Quote
I haven’t considered buying a non-Pentax lens since.
yes me too.

Tamron yes, but no sigma for me, however, always preference to the Pentax lenses.
03-04-2019, 03:11 AM   #5389
Pentaxian

A chap came into the local museum sporting a K-S2, with a sigma zoom, I think it unfortunate that the camera shops push the sigma lenses in place of the Pentax lenses. Rarely see a Pentax anything around here.
QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
Pentax is great bang for buck, but sometimes Tamron and Sigma are just cheaper and still plenty good enough. No shop pushed anything on me since I buy my gear online, but after the DA 18-135 my second lens was a $30 Sigma 70-300. (I eventually upgraded to a DA 55-300, but it cost a bit more.) I also bought a broken Sigma 18-200 that I repaired for fun. Even though I prefer the 18-135 I could see the appeal of the Sigma that would sway someone to buy it for the extra range and lower price on the used market.

In particular the Tamron and Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 are both such great performers that I can't justify the extra cost for the Pentax DA* 16-50. (Especially with the worry that the SDM could fail and turn the Pentax into a manual focus lens until I could get it converted.)

That said, I've found that official Pentax lenses are the cat's pajamas if you can afford them. My DA* 50-135 is one of my favorite lenses to use. (I just had to wait a long time to score a good deal on eBay.) I do appreciate that Sigma and Tamron provide Pentax users with extra options though.
These days there are lenses from Sigma (and maybe even Tamron) which are better than the Pentax alternatives, not just cheaper. I owned the Tamron 17-50/2.8 and now have the Sigma and they've both provided great shots and superb value for money. I haven't used the Pentax but the Sigma is reputedly the best of those three.

Of course, the only company that makes anything like the limited lenses (small, metal, very high quality) is Fujifilm. Most others prefer cheap crappy zooms or massive, expensive FF primes.

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I just met a Pentax shooter at my local wildlife preserve. Was sporting a Pentax K-1 with a DA*300mm. He was mentioning that he was going to buy a Nikon for the longer lenses as he was a bird shooter and was moving to a place where the birds perch quite high into the trees, but he also mentioned that he'd never give up his K-1 and lovely assortment of glass.
Maybe the 150-450 would have been long enough for him.

QuoteOriginally posted by ERNR Quote
The only Sigma lens I will ever own was a 28-70 f2.8-4 (my first autofocus lens in the mid-1990s.) Useful range, but more flare than I’m used to.
It quietly fell apart in my husband’s hand one day as he was about to place it on a camera. I replaced it with the Pentax 28-70 f4, which is still in one piece although rarely used nowadays. I haven’t considered buying a non-Pentax lens since.
I have a Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8-4 that I bought used and I have to say it's a decent performer and feels solid enough. I haven't used it a great deal though.

03-04-2019, 07:43 AM - 2 Likes   #5390
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps we can start a new motto:

Rare birds of a feather flock together on Pentax Forum
03-05-2019, 11:34 PM - 6 Likes   #5391
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, what a read this has been...my thoughts...in a world of scarcity in which we are entering, I love the idea of shooting Pentax knowing that old quality super multicoated Pentax lenses are still out there for the taking. I think it's fine that Pentax develops new advanced DSLR's and lenses; but, I relish the idea of hunting for older lenses and finding a keeper. It's a small part of saving Mother Earth. It seems too that most of the really appealing photo's have more to do with the heart and spirit than the most expensive brand. Pentax rocks!!!
03-07-2019, 02:32 AM   #5392
Veteran Member

I have to admit I have two or three Sigma lenses, including at lest one I bought second hand. If you are on a budget then they offer good quality for low cost, but sometimes it's a case of whatever you can get.

03-07-2019, 03:09 AM   #5393
Pentaxian

TBH, with, now, the exception of the PLM, all of my most-used lenses are Sigmas: 10-20 f4-f5.6 bought new a decade ago, and the 17-70 f2.8-f4.5 / 70-200 f2.8 non HSM (etc.) /100-300 f4.0 2nd version, which were all bought used. All of these still work well and I'm happy enough with them not to want to replace them with Pentax ones.

I have several Pentax 50s but rarely use that focal length, and no inclination - nor the budget - to add any more Pentax lenses,
03-07-2019, 04:01 AM   #5394
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
If you are on a budget then they offer good quality for low cost
yes for sure, if it helps to make images go for it, I just have a thing about sigma.
03-07-2019, 05:44 AM   #5395
Pentaxian

yes for sure, if it helps to make images go for it, I just have a thing about sigma.
As I said, they work well for me - and I'm only a short drive from the Sigma Imaging UK Service Centre, and they have always been extremely good at getting any faults/recalibrations fixed pretty quickly and at very reasonable prices (provided the parts are still available).

Last edited by jeallen01; 03-07-2019 at 05:55 AM.
03-15-2019, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #5396
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was quite surprised in the cinema two days ago - very prominently placed Pentax camera (Spotmatic?) in the trailer for the movie "Welcome to Marwen", where Steve Carell uses it to photograph his miniature scenes.

Last edited by ehrwien; 03-15-2019 at 06:54 PM.
03-15-2019, 11:32 PM - 1 Like   #5397
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
I was quite surprised in the cinema two days ago - very prominently placed Pentax camera (Spotmatic?) in the trailer for the movie "Welcome to Marwen", where Steve Carell uses it to photograph his miniature scenes.
See the reference in this thread also: Pentax in the Movies - Page 21 - PentaxForums.com
03-17-2019, 06:34 PM   #5398

ThorSanchez, I notice that you have both the SMC DA 40mm f/2.8 XS and the SMC DA 40MM Limited. As one who owns the 40 XS (and totally loves it), I wonder how an owner of both feels about them, by comparison.
03-18-2019, 04:26 AM   #5399
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barefootdesigns Quote
ThorSanchez, I notice that you have both the SMC DA 40mm f/2.8 XS and the SMC DA 40MM Limited. As one who owns the 40 XS (and totally loves it), I wonder how an owner of both feels about them, by comparison.
I don't see a whole lot of difference. The reason I have both is that I dropped the XS (attached to the K-3ii) and it got slightly decentered. I found a great deal on a used 40LTD and picked it up as a replacement. No sense in trying to get the XS fixed when I bought it for about $100.

I haven't ever really compared both since I've never had both in 100% condition, but I never saw any major differences in image quality. It is nice with the LTD to have the hood and quick shift. In any case I love the size and both have been my favored walk-around lens when I want to keep the kit tiny.
03-18-2019, 04:50 AM   #5400

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I don't see a whole lot of difference. The reason I have both is that I dropped the XS (attached to the K-3ii) and it got slightly decentered. I found a great deal on a used 40LTD and picked it up as a replacement. No sense in trying to get the XS fixed when I bought it for about $100.

I haven't ever really compared both since I've never had both in 100% condition, but I never saw any major differences in image quality. It is nice with the LTD to have the hood and quick shift. In any case I love the size and both have been my favored walk-around lens when I want to keep the kit tiny.
ThorSanchez, thanks for the reply. I've always wondered about that. Does anybody else have both and want to tell about that?