Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2019, 03:10 AM   #5416

I feel like Sony has become a major player in the last few years. Of the 2 or 3 pros I am friends with, they all swear by it now. They switched to Sony for video because Canon is so dire for it, and most have just dropped canon completely to go with it.

03-26-2019, 06:55 AM   #5417
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Back when I was a Canon user, the only non-Canon lens in my bag was a Sigma 10-20mm.
Today, the only non-Pentax lens in my bag is a Sigma 10-20mm.
Amen. That's also the only non-Pentax lens that I have. But, I use it a lot.
03-26-2019, 07:40 AM - 7 Likes   #5418
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Former Pentax Phtojournalist

From 1993 through 2005 I worked as a photojournalist for a weekly newspaper in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, PA. The first 35mm camera I used as a teenager was my dad’s Pentax Spotmatic.My dad bought me a Sears KSX (Ricoh KR-10) for Christmas in 1982. It used Pentax K mount lenses. When I bought my first SLR it was a Pentax MX, followed by an ME Super in high school. When the photojournalist job came along, I ditched the ME Super for a Super Program with a motor. I the bought a 5 FPS motor for the MX to shoot high school sports.

As my coverage area and rolls of film per week grew, the addition of a second used Super Program and another MX helped spread the load and allow me to shoot color reversal and two speeds of B&W on assignments. All, and I do mean all, the other photographers I ever met on my job used Nikons exclusively. No Canon, no Minolta all Nikon. Many of the photographers made smart remarks about my Pentax cameras. Well, I got great results carrying lighter cameras with better ergonomics which cost me less money!

Later my Pentax arsenal became three PZ-1p bodies and a motor drive equipped LX. Those PZ-1ps were fantastic and I quit using the LX. On the Football sidelines I was always surrounded by guys using Nikon F-3 or FM-2 cameras. They couldn’t believe I was out there with my Tokina ATX-SD 300MM F2.8 and a PZ-1p. Hey, I got great photos with my “weirdo” gear only being outclassed by big newspaper photogs using super expensive Nikon 300 and 400mm F2.8 glass supplied by their employer.

I finally had to go digital in 2004 when my newspaper moved and shut down its darkroom. The *1st D became my daily workhorse. By this time some of the pros were switching to Canon, though Nikon still ruled. My Pentax was up to the task everywhere except night football under the terrible lights at local stadiums. There, the top of the line Nikons had a real edge.

To this day, I have yet to run into a professional using a Pentax but I have bumped into numerous ametures over the years using Pentax gear.
03-26-2019, 07:58 PM   #5419
Forum Member

sometime i tried to convince some gear review youtube channels for touching pentax

but with...less success

they are nice but deep of their mind just ...shy away from pentax...with reasons

how sad! yeah, we pentaxian is so rare

even rarer than Olympus and Panasonic

03-26-2019, 08:29 PM   #5420
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KoolKool Quote
sometime i tried to convince some gear review youtube channels for touching pentax

but with...less success
Well, if you bribe them, they will, KK. That's how it works.

They're not regulated like print press for accuracy or bias or Payola.
04-05-2019, 12:35 PM   #5421

Ive owned a LOT of Pentax lenses over the last 10-12ish years. Mostly low ends. Lots of old mint in box Sears Ricohs (bought cheap, played with them, sold them) and I have to say, I know many of you will throw rocks, but between my 17-70 2.8-4.5 Macro Sigma and my 18-250mm Pentax, Im perfectly happy. Ive used many prime lenses, and (200mm Pentax prime rings a bell) got some really good pics, but my Sigma 18-70 is hard to beat for overall image quality. Im not looking to make pictures that drop the jaws, just really good, clear perfectly composed pics for everyday use. I sell online and that 17-70 macro was a gamechanger. Oh I should mention, in my trips to Disney, the only Pentax users I ran into were all Japanese. Pentax seems to be more popular there, probably because of the colored bodies and the younger generation who (like myself) don't want a boring black camera. Holding the camera to your body it should become an expression of who you are. I want mine loud and obnoxious, like me.
04-05-2019, 01:48 PM   #5422
Pentaxian

Back when I was a Canon user, the only non-Canon lens in my bag was a Sigma 10-20mm.
Today, the only non-Pentax lens in my bag is a Sigma 10-20mm.
That one is one of the two Sigmas - the other one is an original version 17-70 - in my bag most of the time , and I wouldn't be without it in most situations.

04-06-2019, 03:11 AM   #5423
Veteran Member

I have to admit to venturing forth and viewing other websites that discuss various matters including photography (forgive me father for I have sinned....) and recently someone asked the question "what is the best brand of SLR?" Of the 136 answers when I viewed it, three mentioned the existence of Pentax, and only one (count them ladies and gentlemen, a solitary one) answered with a preference for Pentax.

I immediately added my vote for Pentax...
04-06-2019, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #5424
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
I have to admit to venturing forth and viewing other websites that discuss various matters including photography (forgive me father for I have sinned....) and recently someone asked the question "what is the best brand of SLR?" Of the 136 answers when I viewed it, three mentioned the existence of Pentax, and only one (count them ladies and gentlemen, a solitary one) answered with a preference for Pentax.

I immediately added my vote for Pentax...
Well then, you're getting close to 3%, you just need one more vote. maybe 2.
04-06-2019, 07:06 AM - 1 Like   #5425
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VeganWithaPentax Quote
Ive owned a LOT of Pentax lenses over the last 10-12ish years. Mostly low ends. Lots of old mint in box Sears Ricohs (bought cheap, played with them, sold them) and I have to say, I know many of you will throw rocks, but between my 17-70 2.8-4.5 Macro Sigma and my 18-250mm Pentax, Im perfectly happy. Ive used many prime lenses, and (200mm Pentax prime rings a bell) got some really good pics, but my Sigma 18-70 is hard to beat for overall image quality. Im not looking to make pictures that drop the jaws, just really good, clear perfectly composed pics for everyday use. I sell online and that 17-70 macro was a gamechanger. Oh I should mention, in my trips to Disney, the only Pentax users I ran into were all Japanese. Pentax seems to be more popular there, probably because of the colored bodies and the younger generation who (like myself) don't want a boring black camera. Holding the camera to your body it should become an expression of who you are. I want mine loud and obnoxious, like me.
Here in my part of the woods other photographers think you're queer and have gone wrong if you use Pentax. Most of the time I shoot with 2 Pentax cameras so I think other photographers think I'm queer have gone really wrong, loud and obnoxious. But, I don't really care what they think.

Last edited by totsmuyco; 04-20-2019 at 03:24 AM.
04-06-2019, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #5426
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Here in my part of the woods other photographers think your queer and have gone wrong if you use Pentax. Most of the time I shoot with 2 Pentax cameras so I think other photographers think I'm queer have gone really wrong, loud and obnoxious. But, I don't really care what they think.
The anti-Pentax media conspiracy is relentless. Anyone who hasn't used a Pentax recently simply doesn't know what they are talking about. But we do a lot of "My Nikon D500 is so much better than my Pentax K10D" type posts from folks who think comparing current Socanikon product to 10 year old Pentax product images them experts.
04-06-2019, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #5427
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Where i am from, indeed Pentax users are a rare lot. Almost cpuld say just half a step from extinction.

I participated in a good number of photoshoots in past 5-6 months, and i have yet to encounter one single other Pentax user.

All i see of the rest are Sony, Nikon, Canon, Olympus and Fuji (not in that order in terms of number).

And every time i pull out my MZ-S (i primarily use the MZ-S, and less of the K-1, for such shoots), i will get odd looks within 10-15mins, for two reasons.

First, that i am using film, second, that i am using a camera which (1) is Pentax and there's just No One Else using any Pentax and (2) it is a Pentax which none had even heard before or know it existed.

But one thing for sure.
They all had this somewhat envious look of the FA77, as almost all think the 77 looks just so very nice.

But yes, i also get odd reactions when they learnt it is a 77mm lens (well, no one else has such an odd focal length).

So, yeah, Pentax users are bloody damn rare (although i think in Japan and Europe, probably more popular).

The day i see another Pentax user at a photoshoot i join, i think i may just go buy lottery, good chance might just strike a few thousand dollars
04-06-2019, 08:09 AM   #5428
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The anti-Pentax media conspiracy is relentless. Anyone who hasn't used a Pentax recently simply doesn't know what they are talking about. But we do a lot of "My Nikon D500 is so much better than my Pentax K10D" type posts from folks who think comparing current Socanikon product to 10 year old Pentax product images them experts.
That is why articles like this are so interesting.

Pentax KP First Shots: Going head-to-head against the Nikon D500 at ISO 819,200!
04-06-2019, 08:38 AM   #5429

Pentax APS-C Low Light and High ISO IQ has always been a few notches above Nikon and several notches above Canon (perhaps due to the 1.6x crop). I love my Nikon D500 and although I have never handled the KP, I have looked at some of the higher ISO DNGs and have been really impressed.

The ISO 819,200 test is silly. Although it is impressive what is retained at such an absurdly high ISO, I think the article should have focused on the commonly used ISOs to showcase just how GOOD the KP really is against other APS-C bodies. A casual reader will glance at that and say, 'who shoots at that high an ISO anyways'. The quality of the image and less work needed in post is, in my opinion, what separates Pentax at 800 to 6400 from the APS-C bodies offered by Canon, Fuji, and Nikon.

I never go above ISO 3200 with my Nikon D500. I'd do it without hesitation with the KP and K70.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But we do a lot of "My Nikon D500 is so much better than my Pentax K10D" type posts from folks who think comparing current Socanikon product to 10 year old Pentax product images them experts.
Hopefully, I'm not one of those D500 owners.
04-06-2019, 08:13 PM - 1 Like   #5430
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't get over how sensitive a subject this is. When shooting I would absolutely pay NO attention to other photographers. Who the he** cares what other people think or say. I care not one with about their personality hangups. I'm thankful I have Pentax. If people want to shame me they should do so regarding my "eat my shorts" t-shirt.