Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2019, 11:05 PM - 2 Likes   #5431
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As to our rarity... Two weeks ago I was shooting in my local wildlife refuge. A beautiful day, there were several of us photogs wandering around with our long lenses and tripods. One friendly fellow with a Sony setup came over and inquired about my DA 560, “Wow, what’s that you’re shooting?” When I explained, he said, “Gee, you’re the first actual Pentax shooter I’ve ever met. I’d begun to think maybe you folks were like unicorns.” I assured him we were, in fact, very real and lived all over the planet. He wished me well and we continued on our respective paths.

I had a good laugh over that one.

04-07-2019, 05:22 AM - 7 Likes   #5432
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
As to our rarity... Two weeks ago I was shooting in my local wildlife refuge. A beautiful day, there were several of us photogs wandering around with our long lenses and tripods. One friendly fellow with a Sony setup came over and inquired about my DA 560, “Wow, what’s that you’re shooting?” When I explained, he said, “Gee, you’re the first actual Pentax shooter I’ve ever met. I’d begun to think maybe you folks were like unicorns.” I assured him we were, in fact, very real and lived all over the planet. He wished me well and we continued on our respective paths.

I had a good laugh over that one.
We are not unicorns. We are the Jedi Pentaxians. We are rare but yes we are deeply involved with the powers that thrive in photography. May the force be with you.
04-07-2019, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #5433
Pentaxian

Just watching an episode of the "Combat Dealers" series on the UK SKY "Discovery" channel about a UK dealer of WWI /WWII armoured vehicles (etc.) when one of the crew is asked to photo an old German Flak 38 20mm naval AA gun - with a K-7!

Last edited by jeallen01; 04-07-2019 at 06:57 AM.
04-07-2019, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #5434
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This reminds me of my latest meeting at work

it is like when I turn up to a meeting for work and the car park is full of our company cars, Audi (Canon), BMW (Nikon), Jaguar (Sony), and then one Lexus (Pentax).

So the Audi's nice Heffers of a car very well engineered does everything well but not very exciting, BMW as the Audi's however bit more exciting with rear wheel drive, 85% of the car park to these 2, then the New Jag very nice voted best in class for company car, all are I phone compatible and android compatible up to date functional software but being company cars other specs are a little sparse then there's my Lexus, low emissions quieter smoother drive Lane assist standard, hand finished stitching on all the leather trim, adaptive cruise control, the list of built in standard accessories goes on and company car tax is like 25% of the others, Looks different drives better for my driving patterns and colleagues stop and look and Ask "Is that really on the company car list ?" they never knew because they never look beyond what the majority have In the car park.

We may be rare but we are discerning.

04-07-2019, 11:07 AM - 3 Likes   #5435
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by buzzardluck Quote
If people want to shame me they should do so regarding my "eat my shorts" t-shirt.
Very good point. Maybe I should say the same thing about my shirt that reads, "Notice this shirt owner is politically incorrect. I say Merry Christmas, God Bless America, I salute our flag and give thanks for our troops. If this offends you, I don't care. In god we trust."
04-11-2019, 12:12 PM   #5436
Veteran Member

Spotted a Pentax in the tv show Stranger thing season 1 episode 2 at the end. It is a film camera but did not identified the model

Last edited by Lucky-Luc; 04-11-2019 at 12:25 PM.
04-11-2019, 01:27 PM   #5437
Pentaxian

Speaking of rare cameras -- I saw my first Fuji Instax in use in the wild. A bored young hipster with manbun was waiting in the lobby of ye olde famous local hotel. He pulled out an Instax and snapped a shot of the stained glass atrium.

For all the supposed milions of these things Fuji has sold, I'd never seen one actually being used before.

04-11-2019, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #5438
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

In the past week, I have spent quite some time being a docent at my local zoo

no Pentax but I did talk to some folks who had used Pentax for film years ago
04-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #5439
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luckylu Quote

it is like when I turn up to a meeting for work and the car park is full of our company cars, Audi (Canon), BMW (Nikon), Jaguar (Sony), and then one Lexus (Pentax).

So the Audi's nice Heffers of a car very well engineered does everything well but not very exciting, . . ..
which Audi model ?

I've received quite a few compliments from strangers in parking lots as they admire my two door Audi A 5 ( 2015 model ) with its 2.0 turbo

never had anyone admire or ask me about any other car I have ever owned
04-11-2019, 02:55 PM   #5440
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
which Audi model ?

I've received quite a few compliments from strangers in parking lots as they admire my two door Audi A 5 ( 2015 model ) with its 2.0 turbo

never had anyone admire or ask me about any other car I have ever owned
Hi mainly A4 but the odd A6 and some A3s no A5s. I had an A6 2015 and it was a big heffer but well built 2.0 td s line it was a pool car had it prior to ordering my current one.
The A5 is different and with its odd 4 seat configuration and more sporty saloon /coupe styling would probably be the Pentax in the Audi model range (in the context of company cars in the UK that is. And inevitably the A3s tend to be white and the A4s gunmetal grey.
04-13-2019, 02:37 AM   #5441
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luckylu Quote

So the Audi's nice Heffers of a car very well engineered does everything well but not very exciting, BMW as the Audi's however bit more exciting with rear wheel drive, 85% of the car park to these 2, then the New Jag very nice voted best in class for company car, all are I phone compatible and android compatible up to date functional software but being company cars other specs are a little sparse then there's my Lexus, low emissions quieter smoother drive Lane assist standard, hand finished stitching on all the leather trim, adaptive cruise control, the list of built in standard accessories goes on and company car tax is like 25% of the others, Looks different drives better for my driving patterns and colleagues stop and look and Ask "Is that really on the company car list ?" they never knew because they never look beyond what the majority have In the car park.

We may be rare but we are discerning.
Here I would say Pentax is similar to Isuzu. They have very few models but all models look good, all are fuel efficient with engines that have enough power to do the job. Some of their diesel engines used by their Gemini model in the 80s are still being used by Jeepneys. All models are tough as a bull. This makes me think that it's as tough as Pentax cameras and lenses.

Last edited by totsmuyco; 04-14-2019 at 04:05 AM.
04-13-2019, 03:38 AM   #5442
Veteran Member

Walking the streets of Melbourne Australia lately (the last 12 months or so) at least every second weekend and I see lots of Cannon and Nikon.. I am yet to see another Pentax user walking around snapping pics ever. This is sad to me as I do my bit for advertising for Pentax via word of mouth.
I make a point of walking over to other photographers and asking which brand they use and to point out that I am a Pentax user... .. Most people reply with something like "Oh Pentax are good".
I also see more and more people using cell phones rather than dslr/mirrorless. I even saw a person using a gimble with a mobile phone today which I thought to be a bit funny looking. I even saw 2 Leica users today. I thought they were the rare ones tbh.
I will keep searching for more Pentax users.
04-13-2019, 03:43 AM   #5443
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VILLAINofOZ Quote
Walking the streets of Melbourne Australia lately (the last 12 months or so) at least every second weekend and I see lots of Cannon and Nikon.. I am yet to see another Pentax user walking around snapping pics ever. This is sad to me as I do my bit for advertising for Pentax via word of mouth.
I make a point of walking over to other photographers and asking which brand they use and to point out that I am a Pentax user... .. Most people reply with something like "Oh Pentax are good". . . .
I do the same thing when I am working as a volunteer docent at my local zoo

I might start by recommending they try to get the lens as close to the glass window to help eliminate reflection

I ask what type of equipment they are using and a lot of them have to check

I then tell them that I use Pentax and that I wasn't trying to argue which brand was better

they usually do ask me about why I use Pentax as opposed to their " choice " and that is the opening to a discussion if they are willing to take a moment or two
04-13-2019, 01:17 PM - 8 Likes   #5444
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Back in the early 1980’s my dad was still using his 1966 Pentax Spotmatic, Takumar 50mm F 1.4 and two Focal (K-Mart) lenses, a 35mm F3.5 and 135mm F3.5. He was an assistant editor for our counties 22,000 circulation daily newspaper and often photographed local news and human interest stories.

I was with him one day as he was photographing a parade. The local studio photographer who used nothing but Hasselblad equipment, even for news and street photography, came over, pointed to my dad’s beat up Spotmatic and said “You still hanging onto that Pentax junk, huh!?” My dad said,” yep and still taking better pictures than you do with your expensive brick.”
04-15-2019, 06:11 AM   #5445
Veteran Member

I just came back from a trip in Florence. Many Nikon and Canon basic DSLRs of course, few Canon M mirrorless in the hands of japanese ladies, few Sony FF in the hands of young americans.

I spotted an old Japanese gentleman in the Uffizi museum with, I believe, a K3... Probably a die-hard Pentaxian as he was carrying his camera in a Pentax-branded bag

Oddly enough he was shooting only with his smartphone not with his camera
Attached Images