Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2019, 09:17 AM   #5446
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What lens is this? 18-270?

04-16-2019, 02:41 AM   #5447
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Paris Quote
I just came back from a trip in Florence. Many Nikon and Canon basic DSLRs of course, few Canon M mirrorless in the hands of japanese ladies, few Sony FF in the hands of young americans.

I spotted an old Japanese gentleman in the Uffizi museum with, I believe, a K3... Probably a die-hard Pentaxian as he was carrying his camera in a Pentax-branded bag

Oddly enough he was shooting only with his smartphone not with his camera
I think that's the 18-270mm, so he certainly wasn't lacking a lens with an adequate field of view. Seems very strange to use a phone when you have a decent DSLR setup.
04-16-2019, 03:01 AM   #5448
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think he needed to immediately post his shot in facebook or Instagram. The k-3/II can't do that.
04-16-2019, 03:52 PM   #5449
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
maybe he was out of battery Florence takes a lot of battery power too many photo ops

04-27-2019, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #5450
Pentaxian

I'm here at my son's graduation. I see plenty of entry level Nikon and Canon. As usual, I'm the only Pentaxian. Someone beside me has a Sony and yet she's using her iPhone. Probably she's instantly posting everything in social media. And I thought mirrorless can upload everything to the cellphone at an instant allowing one to instantly post on the web. Hmmmm, I can't get it. Probably iPhone produces better images than her Sony. :-)
04-27-2019, 11:41 AM   #5451
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
. And I thought mirrorless can upload everything to the cellphone at an instant allowing one to instantly post on the web.
It's definitely not instant (I have both Sony and Samsung). And Pentax does the same.

04-27-2019, 09:45 PM   #5452
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It's definitely not instant (I have both Sony and Samsung). And Pentax does the same.
I have a friend who uses Fuji and after his shots he'd upload it right away to his cellphone. He then he uploaded his photos on Facebook. It was quite fast. I use a k-5II and a K-3II. I've never used a Wi-Fi card so I wouldn't know how fast that would be.

04-27-2019, 10:57 PM   #5453
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a friend who uses Fuji and after his shots he'd upload it right away to his cellphone. He then he uploaded his photos on Facebook. It was quite fast. I use a k-5II and a K-3II. I've never used a Wi-Fi card so I wouldn't know how fast that would be.
Nuh, none of them are. The WiFi cards are very weak, and the hardware inside the cameras like the batteries not up to decent power outputs.

Pros at a big sporting event will shoot tethered to their laptops which are connected by Ethernet cable to the media centre then onto the editors at the agency who will sell the pictures, they don't use WiFi.

04-28-2019, 01:12 AM   #5454
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Nuh, none of them are. The WiFi cards are very weak, and the hardware inside the cameras like the batteries not up to decent power outputs.

Pros at a big sporting event will shoot tethered to their laptops which are connected by Ethernet cable to the media centre then onto the editors at the agency who will sell the pictures, they don't use WiFi.
My friend made it look so easy on his Fuji. Darn, he had me fooled. :
04-28-2019, 01:19 AM - 1 Like   #5455
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

They all work the same, all brands. Image Sync does it for me on my Pentaxes and Ricoh GR II.

04-28-2019, 04:11 AM   #5456
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
" what type of camera is that ? oh a Pentax, my father [ grandfather ] had one "

and I then tell them that the lenses might work on this one too.
04-28-2019, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #5457
Pentaxian

The tulips in the local downtown pedestrian mall are in full bloom and that's brought out the photographers. Needless to say, smartphone shooters dominate. But among the "real camera" users, it's mostly been Nikons, a few Canons, an occasional MILC, and one Graflex!

Then, yesterday, I saw my first K-1 in the wild (besides mine). He was shooting street scenes with what seemed to be a medium telephoto. I did not have time to stop so I only had a chance to say "nice camera" as I passed him.

Pentax users are out there!
04-28-2019, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #5458
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Listen to Clackers. But it may matter what size JPGs he was uploading. Make them small enough and they will be faster. There is a reason Sony put a LAN port on the A9. You need that kind of connection for speed with normal size files.
04-28-2019, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #5459

Just got back from a week in London and a week in Paris, I tried my best but no other Pentax spotted. I did get one person who was impressed with my K50 and 18-135mm, LOL!
04-28-2019, 05:27 PM   #5460
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From today's outing.

The man on the right used to shoot Pentax back in film days. He bought a film Pentax took it out in winter and it wouldn't work. He sat in his car for 10 minutes, it worked fine, went back out to take a picture. Within 5 minutes it wouldn't work again. He was so mad he sold all his Pentax gear and went Nikon (I think an F3.. HIs son on the left has never known anything else. He was really happy to look over my gear, but is now completely set in his Nikon ways.

Last edited by normhead; 04-29-2019 at 06:58 AM.