Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2019, 03:43 AM - 1 Like   #5491
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just chatted with someone in facebook (Pentaxians). It's confirmed he said there are 4 of us here in Iloilo. It's nice to know.

05-28-2019, 01:26 PM - 2 Likes   #5492
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
black with orange accent
That's what I got as well The "black" is more of a middle grey though. But would have had no problem getting myself a plain black one.

QuoteQuote:
Starters will look for cheaper equipment.
I agree with that, although...
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I wanted to buy my son a new k70 with an 18-135. Unfortunately a Nikon d5500 with 17-140 is cheaper by about $100. And so is the d7200 vs. the KP.
I'd rather place the K-70 next to the D7200. Built-in focus motor, 2 control wheels, real, big, bright, 100% pentaprism viewfinder, WR... features not present in the D5500. Ok, the K-70 only has one SD card slot, but a swivel screen... then there's in-body stabilization, Pixel shift, but it lacks a shoulder display, the burst rate and buffer are is smaller (?), fewer autofocus points...

For someone looking for a a little more serious camera, Pentax is making the right offer imho.

Last edited by ehrwien; 05-28-2019 at 03:22 PM.
05-28-2019, 03:04 PM - 2 Likes   #5493
Pentaxian

I must make my report. I spent Sunday, May 26th at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and I did not see any Pentax cameras at all. In fact, I didn't even take mine. Had too far to walk from parking to the track this year .

Now I did see two guys that were official photographers with Canon. Each with two cameras. I also saw, I think, two other Canons and as least one Nikon. Most people were using call phones for video.

Keep in mind, I only saw a small section of the people on the north end of the track, and with about 300,000 people, there could have been one or two Pentax cameras somewhere in that crowd.

End of report.
05-29-2019, 02:32 AM   #5494
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
That's what I got as well The "black" is more of a middle grey though. But would have had no problem getting myself a plain black one.

I agree with that, although...
I'd rather place the K-70 next to the D7200. Built-in focus motor, 2 control wheels, real, big, bright, 100% pentaprism viewfinder, WR... features not present in the D5500. Ok, the K-70 only has one SD card slot, but a swivel screen... then there's in-body stabilization, Pixel shift, but it lacks a shoulder display, the burst rate and buffer are is smaller (?), fewer autofocus points...

For someone looking for a a little more serious camera, Pentax is making the right offer imho.
I would say the d7200 matches the k-3/II. The k-70 is being matched by others with the d5500 but I think the k-70 is more superior except for AF. But like I said, the prices of Pentax here is exorbitant. I honestly think that the k-70 has no equivalent in Nikon. I'd say the ks2 is about the same as d5300 but the k-70 is above it. The d7500 should match the upcoming k-3II replacement. The KP I think is above the k-70 but lower in terms of features with the d7500. So I'm assuming it has no equivalent in Nikon. Those are just my own assessments. Image quality wise it's a different story, KP wins.

05-29-2019, 03:01 AM   #5495
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
But like I said, the prices of Pentax here is exorbitant.
Remember you will not be allowed to buy Pentaxes direct from the factory, by trade rules they will first have to go to Japan or maybe a warehouse in Singapore or Hong Kong and then your distributor has to import them anyway, so there's no advantage over Canon or Nikon for you.

And because so few Pentaxes are actually sold, that distributor may choose to jack up the prices compared to the rest of the world to earn a living.
05-29-2019, 04:20 AM   #5496
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Remember you will not be allowed to buy Pentaxes direct from the factory, by trade rules they will first have to go to Japan or maybe a warehouse in Singapore or Hong Kong and then your distributor has to import them anyway, so there's no advantage over Canon or Nikon for you.

And because so few Pentaxes are actually sold, that distributor may choose to jack up the prices compared to the rest of the world to earn a living.
Of course we can't buy it directly from the factory. It's like this clackers. Store to store, Nikon to Nikon the dealer is quite expensive compared to one of the favorite Nikon/Canon dealers. I bought my K-3II from a Facebook store who gets their items from Japan. I got it cheaper by about $140. My battery grip ended to be $80 cheaper. My spare batteries where 44% cheaper. I bought a DFA 100 mm macro and it was about $200 cheaper.
05-29-2019, 04:33 AM   #5497
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Of course we can't buy it directly from the factory. It's like this clackers. Store to store, Nikon to Nikon the dealer is quite expensive compared to one of the favorite Nikon/Canon dealers. I bought my K-3II from a Facebook store who gets their items from Japan. I got it cheaper by about $140. My battery grip ended to be $80 cheaper. My spare batteries where 44% cheaper. I bought a DFA 100 mm macro and it was about $200 cheaper.
That works as long as your warranty is honoured by the local distributor!

It isn't here.

05-29-2019, 04:47 AM   #5498
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That works as long as your warranty is honoured by the local distributor!

It isn't here.
I don't want to say this but, I had a disagreement with their shop here. It was about returning a lens I sent for repair to me. So at this point, I'll take my chances with a different store. Even directly importing them.
05-29-2019, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #5499
Forum Member

Like a Lamborghini.

Its rare to bump into another Pentax user, like its not often I se a Lamborghini. ;-)
05-29-2019, 06:47 AM - 2 Likes   #5500
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would say the d7200 matches the k-3/II. The k-70 is being matched by others with the d5500 but I think the k-70 is more superior except for AF. But like I said, the prices of Pentax here is exorbitant. I honestly think that the k-70 has no equivalent in Nikon. I'd say the ks2 is about the same as d5300 but the k-70 is above it. The d7500 should match the upcoming k-3II replacement. The KP I think is above the k-70 but lower in terms of features with the d7500. So I'm assuming it has no equivalent in Nikon. Those are just my own assessments. Image quality wise it's a different story, KP wins.
This kind of statement is pretty much nonsense. IN body SR for all your lenses, Pixel Shift, astrotracer. There is no Nikon camera anywhere that matches it. For me the nail in the coffin for Nikon was when the D800 came out. They had a shot of an old Library somewhere that was fantastic. Enough to sell the camera. Then they admitted and I don't know why, that because of shutter shock or whatever, they had to go back 7 times, to get a shot I could have nailed hand held. The difference being, all my Pentax lenses even m42 lenses benefit from shake reduction. I can use any film era lens I want with the full capability of the lens as it was manufactured, plus shake reduction.

Simply, Nikons don't do everything Pentax does, Pentax's don't do what Nikons do, but for my use, Pentax's are better at what Nikons do best than Nikons are at what Pentax does best. So looking at it from that perspective, if you depend on what Pentax does best, the above comparisons look ridiculous. I'm one of those guys who's built his whole style on mobility, ruggedness, shooting on the fly. In the field, I've seen Nikons fail and Canons fail. Sony's are so flimsy I refuse to even consider them.

Other companies compare with Pentax, only if you don't consider build quality, WR and durability.

When I see these kinds of comparisons it usually mean the poster just did a cursory comparison without much thought.

The SR in the 18-140 is 3-4 stops, 5 in the Pentax.
But the biggest thing against the Nikon would appear to be no water residence. If there is one major gripe based on my own shooting style this is it. I simply will not buy a zoom without water resistance. WR adds so much of a "quality" feel to a lens I'm somewhat amazed other manufacturers haven't clued in.

My latest, Pentax lens purchases, DAF 100 macro, DFA 28-105, DA* 200, DA*55 1.4 to complement my DA*60-250 and DA 18-135. Where I go, non-WR lenses are an un-nessesary risk. So, you can say the Nikon is cheaper, but you get what you pay for. And the Nikon 18-140, I wouldn't pay for. It's only cheaper if it meets your minimum specs, and it doesn't. So you can buy the Nikon for cheaper, but for me it would be wasted money. A lens that would sit on my shelf most of the time. My DA 18-135 goes with me at least half the time.

So whether you consider the Nikon 18-140 a better buy than the DA 18-135, depends entirely on whether you'd pay a dime for the Nikon. If part of the cheap price was I had to keep it for 5 years, I'd pass. The issue is not that the Nikon is cheaper, its that you can't get a DA 18-135 equivalent from Nikon. Just looking at this one example makes the Nikon D7200 unacceptable and not at all comparable. My favourite most used lens is not of acceptable quality from Nikon. The only way you make it acceptable is by giving up important (to me) features.

And this got even more pronounced with the DA 55-300 PLM. For $500, a lightweight, quick focussing WR lens perfect for the hiker or out doors type shooter, rated on at least one site as best in class.

The Nikons look better, or equal only if you don't appreciate the unique things Pentax has to offer.

Last edited by normhead; 05-31-2019 at 07:29 AM.
05-29-2019, 10:40 AM   #5501
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KjellAV Quote
Its rare to bump into another Pentax user, like its not often I se a Lamborghini. ;-)
I'm sure I've seen more Lambos than Pentaxes. But then again, I see more cars than cameras in the first place...
05-30-2019, 01:06 AM   #5502
Pentaxian

As far as I'm concerned, ergonomics and jpeg output alone are enough to steer me away from Nikon, at least the D5xxx series.
06-01-2019, 12:58 PM   #5503
Pentaxian

I've been watching the Youtube series "All the Stations" in which a couple called at every railway station in Great Britain during a several-month trip in 2017. They chat to and interview many people along the way including this lady and gent - the latter with a Pentax DSLR! I don't know what model it is. Sadly, the touring couple used a Nikon themselves, a D500 I think.

England: tick - Episode 49, Day 89 - Berwick-Upon-Tweed to Tweedbank - YouTube
06-01-2019, 03:11 PM   #5504
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I've been watching the Youtube series "All the Stations" in which a couple called at every railway station in Great Britain during a several-month trip in 2017. They chat to and interview many people along the way including this lady and gent - the latter with a Pentax DSLR! I don't know what model it is. Sadly, the touring couple used a Nikon themselves, a D500 I think.

England: tick - Episode 49, Day 89 - Berwick-Upon-Tweed to Tweedbank - YouTube
This was a fun video. Thanks for posting it. I wasted 10 minutes trying to get a look at the model. I think it is a K-5, can't be sure.
06-05-2019, 01:52 PM - 4 Likes   #5505
Pentaxian

Not sure if anyone has posted this before (and apologies if someone has) but the current week's UK Amateur Photographer mag has a feature on Isabella Smith, from Collierville in Tennesse, who won the Young Travel Photographer of 2018 competition, and her dream assignment would be for National Geographic! Good on her!!

She uses a K-S2 with 50-200mm, 50mm and 18-50mm WR Pentax lenses (although she said that she occasionally uses her mother's EOS 7D ), !!

Last edited by jeallen01; 06-06-2019 at 01:13 AM.