Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2019, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #5536
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've not visited very regularly or really recently but from the comments I read here on this last page, we seem to have gotten off topic a bit. Therefore, I will comment to try bringing us back on track. A few months ago I joined a local (albeit small and in a rural area) camera and photograohy club and was pleasantly surprised that there are at least two or three other members who shoot with Pentax. Of course the majority are Canikon shooters, but it is nice to have a few new friends sith some common sense regarding camera brand.

07-03-2019, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #5537
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
I've not visited very regularly or really recently but from the comments I read here on this last page, we seem to have gotten off topic a bit. Therefore, I will comment to try bringing us back on track. A few months ago I joined a local (albeit small and in a rural area) camera and photograohy club and was pleasantly surprised that there are at least two or three other members who shoot with Pentax. Of course the majority are Canikon shooters, but it is nice to have a few new friends sith some common sense regarding camera brand.
But you left out the important thing... did they have any great lenses for you to try out?
07-03-2019, 01:23 PM   #5538
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am in Lancaster photographic society (120 years old and counting) where we have 2x K3s and a K70. Trouble is, I am the one with all the interesting lenses so I don't get to borrow
07-10-2019, 06:36 AM   #5539
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually did see a person with a Pentax during my vacation to Chicago last week. Couldn't see what it was (It was white & black Storm Trooper color so not the K-1).

07-10-2019, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #5540
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I saw my first ever K-1 yesterday. It looked absolutely pristine and had the fa 50 or 35mm (no hood) mounted. Spotted at about latitude 65.28500 at a local historical/cultural event. Kind of want one now...
07-10-2019, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #5541
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
I just returned from a two-week vacation in Alaska and was surrounded by tourists. I saw no Pentaxes apart from my own. However, I also saw relatively few other DSLR's. The few I saw were mainly Canon and an odd Nikon or two. Most people were snapping with cell phones. I think that DSLR's are all getting scarcer and I think this trend will continue. I'll continue to use my K50 and when it conks out I'll buy another Pentax if they are still in business.
07-10-2019, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #5542
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
I just returned from a two-week vacation in Alaska and was surrounded by tourists. I saw no Pentaxes apart from my own. However, I also saw relatively few other DSLR's. The few I saw were mainly Canon and an odd Nikon or two. Most people were snapping with cell phones. I think that DSLR's are all getting scarcer and I think this trend will continue. I'll continue to use my K50 and when it conks out I'll buy another Pentax if they are still in business.
That may be a really good sign for people who sell photos.

Last edited by normhead; 07-11-2019 at 08:27 AM.
07-11-2019, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #5543
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That may be really good sign for people who sell photos.
I'm sure you're right Normhead. Photomat may rise from the ashes. Only old geezers will know what I mean.
07-11-2019, 07:35 AM   #5544

I went to a local camera store which deals now in CanonNikon, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic.
He told me Pentax does not sell in his store anymore for years now. I said I have a Pentax
K3 body - what would you give me for a trade....he said $50....
Why don’t people like Pentax anymore?
07-11-2019, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #5545
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kxuser99 Quote
I went to a local camera store which deals now in CanonNikon, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic.
He told me Pentax does not sell in his store anymore for years now. I said I have a Pentax
K3 body - what would you give me for a trade....he said $50....
Why don’t people like Pentax anymore?
The low profile of the company makes them hard to sell.
When you're selling Nikon, Canon and Sony product or even Olympus and Panasonic, all those advertising dollars they spend are working for you. Pentax is working on different model. Save on advertising, ad value to the cameras. It works for me, but only if I don't try to sell my gear.
07-11-2019, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #5546
Pentaxian

The county I live in is anti-Pentax (more like red-necks who don't like foreigners), here it is traditionally Canon, Nikon and Sony, anything else is considered rubbish. So when I go out I try to hide the Pentax logo to avoid being thrown at (or poured over) tomatoes or I get comments such as "Oh a Pentax, we haven't seen a Pentax for a long time, are you the last one?". That said, when I cross the border to more civilized countries like Italy, or Germany, I do see more Pentaxes (the Germans usually prefer rugged stuff like Pentax), and there is France also, I think France still have a lot of Pentaxians alive.
07-11-2019, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #5547
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Curiously, while living in Germany (I agree with their appreciation of ruggedness, in general), I haven't seen a single Pentax. Most people have cheaper Canikons here. Then again, they might be giants tourists...
07-11-2019, 09:21 AM   #5548
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Then again, they might be giants tourists...
Make a hole with a gun perpendicular
To the name of this town in a desk-top globe
Exit wound in a foreign nation
Showing the home of the one with a Pentax camera.
07-13-2019, 05:27 PM   #5549
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well this may be a reason why Pentax is so scarce, Nil Stock

In Australia i ordered a K1ii on 26 June , B/O until 10/07, no worries. I check last night, B/O until 31/07 and 75% of other frame options nil stock. I only hope mine was picked prior ot the new nil stock option.
Is manufacturing so far behind demand?
Are Distributors so tight not to carry stock.

What's the situation overseas with authorised distributors, product on the shelf ?
07-13-2019, 05:47 PM   #5550
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Roaming Quote
Well this may be a reason why Pentax is so scarce, Nil Stock

In Australia i ordered a K1ii on 26 June , B/O until 10/07, no worries. I check last night, B/O until 31/07 and 75% of other frame options nil stock. I only hope mine was picked prior ot the new nil stock option.

Is manufacturing so far behind demand?

Are Distributors so tight not to carry stock.

What's the situation overseas with authorised distributors, product on the shelf ?
No distributor likes to carry stock, Roaming. They would rather respond to an order by making the customer wait than have unsold product ready to go ... dollars sit on a shelf not appreciating in value and they can be burnt by currency movements.

It's similar to the retail stores. They don't have Pentax in their shop but truth is any of them can order one in for you from Pentax Australia. They simply can't purchase a shop model 645Z and have it sit there for a year without a buyer.

This is nothing against you personally it's just business.