Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2019, 12:24 AM   #5551
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Additionally, from what I read somewhere around the forum a while ago, Canikony are quite lenient with the conditions in which retail stocks (they probably allow a reduced upfront rate, plus the rest once the camera is sold), while Ricoh wants the shops to pay upfront the entire cost.
That makes it even more likely for the Pentax area, if it even exists, to be barren.

07-14-2019, 05:04 AM - 2 Likes   #5552
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Additionally, from what I read somewhere around the forum a while ago, Canikony are quite lenient with the conditions in which retail stocks (they probably allow a reduced upfront rate, plus the rest once the camera is sold), while Ricoh wants the shops to pay upfront the entire cost.

That makes it even more likely for the Pentax area, if it even exists, to be barren.
Yes, very risky since camera stores are going bankrupt everywhere.

Apparently Nikon was left holding the baby when a US retail chain went into liquidation.

07-14-2019, 05:08 AM   #5553
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Absolutely, I also wouldn't want to front let's say 10-20 thousand dollars on a "maybe, perhaps, one of these months" sale.
07-14-2019, 05:58 AM   #5554
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yes, very risky since camera stores are going bankrupt everywhere.

Camera stores may be fading but there are many outlets to sell cameras to the public. Best Buy stocks cameras and you can find gear in Wal-Mart, so retail still can be a viable commodity.

Why overstock? Just put some gear out there for the publics eye. Best Buy or Wal-mart should never have to hold 20K + in stock. I do not think that is a wise marketing strategy in todays arena. But then again, I am not a marketing strategist, so what do I know?

07-14-2019, 06:33 AM   #5555
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
Camera stores may be fading but there are many outlets to sell cameras to the public. Best Buy stocks cameras and you can find gear in Wal-Mart, so retail still can be a viable commodity.

Why overstock? Just put some gear out there for the publics eye. Best Buy or Wal-mart should never have to hold 20K + in stock. I do not think that is a wise marketing strategy in todays arena. But then again, I am not a marketing strategist, so what do I know?
2 K-1 iis, their respective 28-105 lenses, a 70-200, a 15-30 and you are around 4-5k already. Add a single 645Z + 1 lens and you get quite close to 10k. 20K in stock is not so difficult to get to (especially if you put together several smaller brands).
07-14-2019, 02:49 PM - 2 Likes   #5556
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Camera stores may be fading but there are many outlets to sell cameras to the public. Best Buy stocks cameras and you can find gear in Wal-Mart, so retail still can be a viable commodity. … Just put some gear out there for the publics eye. Best Buy or Wal-mart should never have to hold 20K + in stock. I do not think that is a wise marketing strategy in todays arena. But then again, I am not a marketing strategist, so what do I know?
As somebody in these forums has explained in the past, the big general outlets practically charge suppliers to display their wares, and can expect them to contribute to advertising … they make money both off us end consumers and the manufacturers.

And for what? Physical stores are becoming relics in an online shopping world, especially for educated customers and for niche brands.

Perhaps the market leaders are forced to play their game, but as a matter of fact the demand for high volume, low margin models (the supermarket model) is crashing. Sony know it - they have not released a 3000 or 5000 series model in years.
07-14-2019, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #5557
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As somebody in these forums has explained in the past, the big general outlets practically charge suppliers to display their wares, and can expect them to contribute to advertising … they make money both off us end consumers and the manufacturers.

And for what? Physical stores are becoming relics in an online shopping world, especially for educated customers and for niche brands.

Perhaps the market leaders are forced to play their game, but as a matter of fact the demand for high volume, low margin models (the supermarket model) is crashing. Sony know it - they have not released a 3000 or 5000 series model in years.
I can as a fact, using Walmart as an example, tell you that I have four Walmarts with in 25 minutes driving time of me. None of those stores has a "photo department" anymore. Yes, you can get prints made but that is about it. In the two that I go to for the most part, I'm not sure they have p&s cameras at all. Also, the store south of me is a smaller store that Walmart has crammed too much stuff into. I don't think you can get prints there either.

07-14-2019, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #5558
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
None of those stores has a "photo department" anymore.
Same here. They sell photo printing services, and 4K / IPS / OLED TVs, but no cameras. That's because cameras performance is still an overkill, until 8K display become popular there is not need to improve cameras. Camera tech evolved much faster than display tech. Currently the display industry rely on the imaging outputs of legacy camera tech. as there is plenty of image content that's already resolves much more than 4K.
07-14-2019, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #5559
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Walmart in Bulverde , Tx has a nice photo ( no Pentax of course) electronic department. All the the cameras, though, are basic point and shoot, with, ( as of last week) 2 mirrorless on display. Not 1 camera thing they had on display would I ever consider to purchase. I looked over the whole place as I needed a replacement computer for my auto repair shop, ended up with an Acer chromebook instead of a Windows of any manufacturer unit. So far it has replaced my Windows 7 Dell D610 perfectly.( it lasted 6 years in a non a/c shop so no complaints from me about Dell) ..much faster and a larger screen for less money..I did get the 3 year warranty, time will tell if I need it.
07-15-2019, 05:52 PM   #5560
Veteran Member

And for what? years.
Well, I would imagine name recognition would be one reason and a very strong reason. Ask any millennial what a Pentax is and guess what the answer would be. I suggested the Pentax K70 to my niece and she had no idea what Pentax was but she trusted my recommendation.

I live in an area where the mall scene still thrives successfully. Gurnee Mill Mall attracts thousands of customers weekly and is the main entertainment for the sailors on leave from The Great Lakes Naval base. There are many areas were retail shopping thrives and it will for years to come. I understand that internet shopping has become convenient for many people, including me, but it by no means has completely taken over, especially in major cities such as Chicago, NY, LA, you name it. We are talking millions of potential customer in these cities alone who would have the chance to at least see Pentax branded on a camera while browsing an outlet.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

---------- Post added 07-15-19 at 05:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
I can as a fact, using Walmart as an example, tell you that I have four Walmarts with in 25 minutes driving time of me. None of those stores has a "photo department" anymore. Yes, you can get prints made but that is about it. In the two that I go to for the most part, I'm not sure they have p&s cameras at all. Also, the store south of me is a smaller store that Walmart has crammed too much stuff into. I don't think you can get prints there either.

Here - Black EOS Rebel T6 EF-S IS Digital Camera with 18 Megapixels and 18-55mm Lens Included - Walmart.com

They have the camera at my Johnsburg location.

Last edited by kevinWE; 07-15-2019 at 06:00 PM.
07-15-2019, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #5561
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most everyone in retail work with one of three stocking models: Either they buy the stock from a wholesaler, stick it on their shelf and hope it will sell while it's a current model. Or, the wholesaler sticks it on their shelf. Or, they buy the thing with a credit plan from the wholesaler or a third party and pay interest to have it on their shelf until it sells. I don't believe these methods of selling is a good model for consumer electronics.

The shops have to stock too large a range of camera bodies and lenses for potential buyers to make an informed choice. Hence, you're more likely to find Canon Rebels and very few (if any) top end cameras. It's the same with bicycles and many other consumer goods such as computers. I can buy a new bicycle online far more easily than I can in any bicycle shop. And, I can have it with a selection of wheels, tyres, seat, gearing, accessories, etc, all to suit me. Retail shops work well for many things, but I think bicycle shops and camera shops are shrinking or disappearing for a reason.

Malls are not the bustling places they used to be. It's far easier and quicker to shop from the couch. I would not call the mall scene "thriving". They're surviving. But, it's a dying sales model in my opinion.
07-15-2019, 10:27 PM   #5562
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I would imagine name recognition would be one reason and a very strong reason. Ask any millennial what a Pentax is and guess what the answer would be. I suggested the Pentax K70 to my niece and she had no idea what Pentax was but she trusted my recommendation.
I reckon your niece would be unhappy if the prices of Pentaxes doubled in order to pay for the advertising attempt to go from two percent to four percent of the market, Kevin. She might as well stop listening to her uncle and buy a Canon or Nikon instead!
07-15-2019, 11:34 PM - 1 Like   #5563
Pentaxian

I reckon your niece would be unhappy if the prices of Pentaxes doubled in order to pay for the advertising attempt to go from two percent to four percent of the market, Kevin. She might as well stop listening to her uncle and buy a Canon or Nikon instead!
Unlikely to happen unless she is studying marketing/business. Generally, customers are seduced by successful brands. Ironically if a business is successful it means customers paid too much either because they were oversold, or because they had no bargaining power (e.g no competition = no price pressure on supplier). It's dumb, but that's the way it is.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 07-15-2019 at 11:39 PM.
07-15-2019, 11:47 PM   #5564
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Unlikely to happen unless she is studying marketing/business. Generally, customers are seduced by successful brands. Ironically if a business is successful it means customers paid too much either because they were oversold, or because they had no bargaining power (e.g no competition = no price pressure on supplier). It's dumb, but that's the way it is.
Sure. You might become a successful brand in an expanding market by spending money - worked for Sony, not for Samsung.

But you don't do it in a declining market!
07-16-2019, 01:11 AM - 1 Like   #5565
Pentaxian

Sure. You might become a successful brand in an expanding market by spending money - worked for Sony, not for Samsung. But you don't do it in a declining market!

Yep, in a declining market you have to find a niche where customers will still buy from you even as the rest of the market collapses. That's why I think Leica will still be in business long after other more mass-market camera brands have fallen. As for Pentax: perhaps selling the brand heritage as a sort of "working man's Leica" in the enthusiast market would make more sense than trying to compete in the dwindling mass consumer market?