Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
08-04-2019, 07:20 PM   #5581
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NomNamNom Quote
I just wanted to chime in a bit. The BRZ/GT-86 is not produced outside of Japan. It is done at Subaru's Gunma factory in Japan. The Toyota Camry is also no longer being produced at the Indiana plant. So it is solely being used for Subaru's production.
Toyota ended contract production of Camrys at the Indiana plant in 2016 and moved the Camry production back to TMMK in Kentucky. Subaru expects to produce 370,000 Ascent, Impreza, Legacy and Outback vehicles at the Lafayette, IN plant in 2019.
QuoteOriginally posted by NomNamNom Quote
Anyways, I went to a couple of airshows last month, and saw a total of three Pentax users. 1 KS-2, 1 KP and 1 K-1. The K-1 user was kind enough to let me handle his gear. I just have to hope for an epic sale price on it one of these days.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-04-2019 at 07:32 PM.
08-06-2019, 04:50 AM - 2 Likes   #5582
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was in St. Claus 3 days ago and there were no Pentax gears except mine. We went to old Lyon and I was able to notice a 2 Pentax cameras a k-1 and a k-3 or a K-3II. Not so sure about it. On the way back to the hotel, I spotted a young man on the train carrying a Pentax film camera. I'm not sure as to the model. The following day we went to Ars and spotted a k-1. That same day we went back to old Lyon and I noticed that same guy with the Pentax film camera. I felt like we're not that rare after all.

We dropped by the commercial center near the train station before going back to Dole. Sad to say a store selling cameras had all the Japanese brands except Pentax. I felt rare again.
08-15-2019, 06:10 AM   #5583
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At Grasmere in the Lake District, and on this morning’s walk, I saw mostly smartphones, plus one big hefty Canon, one Nikon with its lens hood on backwards, one Sony and two Pentaxes including mine. The other was a K1000!
08-15-2019, 06:51 AM   #5584
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Was in Munich, Füssen, Werfen, Großglockner High Alpine Road, Sankt Wolfgang, Salzburg recently. Didn't see a single Pentax. Countless cell phones, a good number of Canikons, no shortage of Sonys, and Olympus or three. But my family's K-3ii and K-30 were the only of our breed.

08-15-2019, 07:24 AM   #5585
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Niagara Falls, Canada

I was recently in Niagara Falls, Canada with my wife and grandsons and saw zero Pentax. Also, saw very few mirrorless or DSLRs, most were using cell phones.
08-16-2019, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #5586
Veteran Member

Was at Bamburgh Castle a couple of days ago and bumped into another Pentax shooter. He was surprised to find another too!
08-16-2019, 02:59 PM - 2 Likes   #5587
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's been quite the active discussion about Pentax in the r/photography subreddit this week, sparked by the first post: "To all Pentax shooters: all 4 of us should meet up sometime."

08-17-2019, 01:51 AM   #5588
Banned

I was for a day in Amsterdam yesterday. Visited the Rijksmuseum to see the Rembrandt exhibition and restauration project for the famous Nachtwacht (Nightwatch) painting. Spend the rest of the day in the very crowded centre in this holiday season.

So I saw one KP! Surprised me, but it was real.

Most people don't have a camera anymore besides the smartphone. Most popular are old models dslr, mostly Canon but a fair share of Nikon. I saw about all brands. Even Canon R camera and Nikon Z. The difference between people with a fullframe mirrorless camera are there. The Canon owners are old male people, while Sony is in the hand of a younger crowd (about half the age of the Canon owner) and Nikon is in between.
08-17-2019, 02:57 AM   #5589
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Most popular are old models dslr, mostly Canon but a fair share of Nikon. I saw about all brands. Even Canon R camera and Nikon Z.
When at touristic locations over the last 12 months, I saw mostly DSLR, some Canon and Nikon FF but mostly apsc, some Lumix (GHx), and even some Pentax (1:20 ratio), but so far I think I've seen some Sony A7 series and maybe one Nikon Z. I think I saw one Nikon Z in the last two month. I haven't seen any EOS R, any EOS RP and any Panasonic S1 or S1R. For Pentax I've seen mostly apsc models, in Japan, in Europe, and a few K1. To me it seems that people keep using what they bought years ago, or mobile phones and then a minority of people really into photography get some of the latest models. So I'd guess there will be a replacement market for some customers who will replace their DSLR when it will die, but that will be a slow market.
08-17-2019, 03:55 AM   #5590
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have seen, in town, at least 2 or 3 Panasonic S1... one or two Nikon Z/Canon R each. But definitely more Panasonics than Canikon MILCs.
08-22-2019, 03:22 AM - 1 Like   #5591
Pentaxian

My son and I arrived Manila last August 18 and went home to Iloilo on the 19th. I never saw one when I was in Paris. Lots of Canon and Nikon. Quite a number of MILC. All in all that's 8 Pentax cameras during my entire trip to France. We see Pentaxians in the outskirts where walking and other rigorous activities are needed to take pictures. We don't like smooth easy roads. We love the challenges we go through just to take pictures. Yes we're still rare but, the Pentax Jedi are adventurous people.
08-22-2019, 03:26 AM   #5592
Veteran Member

I've been in and out of Chicago and Milwaukee continuously all summer long. Pentax spotting's = 0

Last edited by kevinWE; 08-23-2019 at 02:52 AM.
08-22-2019, 03:35 AM   #5593
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I was for a day in Amsterdam yesterday. Visited the Rijksmuseum to see the Rembrandt exhibition and restauration project for the famous Nachtwacht (Nightwatch) painting. Spend the rest of the day in the very crowded centre in this holiday season.

So I saw one KP! Surprised me, but it was real.

Most people don't have a camera anymore besides the smartphone. Most popular are old models dslr, mostly Canon but a fair share of Nikon. I saw about all brands. Even Canon R camera and Nikon Z. The difference between people with a fullframe mirrorless camera are there. The Canon owners are old male people, while Sony is in the hand of a younger crowd (about half the age of the Canon owner) and Nikon is in between.
I'll bet the KP owner was an olde olde man.
08-22-2019, 05:12 AM   #5594
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
I've been in and out of Chicago and Milwaukee continuously all summer longer. Pentax spotting's = 0
There are a few of us around, but the observations about general camera use are in effect here.
08-22-2019, 07:02 AM   #5595
Unregistered User

I went to a photo exhibit opening at the Minnesota State Fair the other night and saw a white Pentax K-S1. There were a smattering of all the other major brands; DSLRs and point and shoots, including a guy wearing a Fujifilm t-shirt. Mostly phones, however. I had a Q-7, so Pentax was well represented.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 08-22-2019 at 07:06 AM. Reason: typo