Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2019, 02:22 PM   #5596
Veteran Member

I very rarely see anyone with another Pentax when I'm out. I've been to a few photowalk things and there's always same there, people raving about their full frame Canon or Nikon, the odd Sony and a couple of times and Only mirrorless, I'm the only one that shows up with a Pentax or my old Oly E1. Consequently, people always rave about the Pentax pics which is good, especially on night shoots and doing light painting.

08-22-2019, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #5597
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
There are a few of us around, but the observations about general camera use are in effect here.
Dundee is in my backyard. I sure haven't run into you in the wild.
08-22-2019, 11:00 PM   #5598
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
I went to a photo exhibit opening at the Minnesota State Fair the other night and saw a white Pentax K-S1. There were a smattering of all the other major brands; DSLRs and point and shoots, including a guy wearing a Fujifilm t-shirt. Mostly phones, however. I had a Q-7, so Pentax was well represented.
If things go well you might see a ks2 at the renfest. Uhaul is loading today.
08-24-2019, 01:37 PM - 5 Likes   #5599

To be honest, I really kinda dig that I don't see too many other Pentaxians. There's times when it would be nice to ask the guy next to me for advice. But usually it's cool to be the standout dude.

There's something about our chosen brand. The quirky little by photographers for photographers thing. Like baking bread from scratch or using a map instead of Google maps. I don't want to say it stokes the ego, but something very similar happens when your pics are as good or better in TAv than the Canikony next to you in P or I.

Third little bit I dig is when the grey beards realize you're shooting a Pentax. Whenever I go out with it, I'm stopped an average of 3 times per trip. Oh, I didn't know they were still around! I used to shoot a [film body] that I got in [extinct department store]. They were the best/ greatest/ most fun! It feels good to have that kind of lineage and to invoke that kind of nostalgia. And anything sometimes you can learn so much by listening to your elders reminiscing.

08-25-2019, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #5600
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RookieGuy Quote
To be honest, I really kinda dig that I don't see too many other Pentaxians. There's times when it would be nice to ask the guy next to me for advice. But usually it's cool to be the standout dude.

There's something about our chosen brand. The quirky little by photographers for photographers thing. Like baking bread from scratch or using a map instead of Google maps. I don't want to say it stokes the ego, but something very similar happens when your pics are as good or better in TAv than the Canikony next to you in P or I.

Third little bit I dig is when the grey beards realize you're shooting a Pentax. Whenever I go out with it, I'm stopped an average of 3 times per trip. Oh, I didn't know they were still around! I used to shoot a [film body] that I got in [extinct department store]. They were the best/ greatest/ most fun! It feels good to have that kind of lineage and to invoke that kind of nostalgia. And anything sometimes you can learn so much by listening to your elders reminiscing.
Long time since this happened, but today I was called out by an older gent at a political event I was covering. "Say, I have a K-1 and a K-3," he said. "I do, too, I replied, with both of them dangling from my shoulders. He was running for City Treasurer. Shot Pentax for thety years or so, and liked birdwatching. He'll get my vote.
08-26-2019, 03:41 PM - 2 Likes   #5601

Almost like a secret handshake, isn't it, when you meet another?
08-27-2019, 02:40 AM   #5602
Pentaxian

Maybe we should attached something to our camera to identify Jedi Pentaxians. Then we can say hi and introduce ourselves. Sometimes people think we're weird when we look at their cameras.

08-27-2019, 03:15 AM - 2 Likes   #5603
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Maybe we should attached something to our camera to identify Jedi Pentaxians. Then we can say hi and introduce ourselves. Sometimes people think we're weird when we look at their cameras.
Aren't all Pentaxians Jedis?
08-27-2019, 03:26 AM - 1 Like   #5604

Like a green or red bands on our lenses?
08-27-2019, 04:30 AM   #5605
Pentaxian

The lady I saw in Dole, France thought I was weird pointing at my camera strap label. But if we have a certain mark we'll know who are the Jedi. Others have Pentax cameras but they're not one of us. Like anyone can have a light saber but doesn't know or have the powers to use it. Anyone can have a Pentax cam but doesn't have the spirit nor the skill of a Jedi Pentaxian.

Last edited by totsmuyco; 08-27-2019 at 07:10 AM.
08-27-2019, 02:42 PM   #5606

Rare Pentax

I recently noticed that Pentax has a shrinking number of lens, both Pentax and third party. I have used Pentax since the Spotmatic days and I always felt Asahi produced a quality product. It just seems that Ricoh is not really interested in keeping Pentax a brand that will attract new customers. The Pentax line-up is just not attractive and has become the smallest of their competitors, giving very few choices. I have sold the K3 and all of the lenses I had to move over to Nikon. I purchased a Nikon Z7 and 24-70 to start a new camera system. I found the camera menu to be more intuitive and the photo results to be better. The Z7 was competitive price wise to most of the competing mirrorless cameras. The cost of the Nikon lens is very competitive to the Pentax and the Nikon Z series is growing, not shrinking. So far, I have no regrets in moving to a new camera system.
08-27-2019, 03:13 PM   #5607
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by saddlebumCO Quote
I recently noticed that Pentax has a shrinking number of lens, both Pentax and third party. The Pentax line-up is just not attractive and has become the smallest of their competitors, giving very few choices. I have sold the K3 and all of the lenses I had to move over to Nikon. The cost of the Nikon lens is very competitive to the Pentax and the Nikon Z series is growing, not shrinking. So far, I have no regrets in moving to a new camera system.
Glad you found a new camera system that fits your needs, but I'm not sure the growing vs. shrinking is a valid reason to evaluate a system.

On BHphotovideo I'm seeing that there are 26 Nikon Z lenses available vs. 115 Pentax mount lenses. No doubt the Nikon is growing and the Pentax is shrinking, but there are still 4x more Pentax lenses to choose from if we don't count legacy glass. To me both systems have their pros and cons. So far I have no regrets running two systems because I appreciate the differences.
08-27-2019, 04:24 PM - 2 Likes   #5608
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by saddlebumCO Quote
I recently noticed that Pentax has a shrinking number of lens, both Pentax and third party. I have used Pentax since the Spotmatic days and I always felt Asahi produced a quality product. It just seems that Ricoh is not really interested in keeping Pentax a brand that will attract new customers. The Pentax line-up is just not attractive and has become the smallest of their competitors, giving very few choices. I have sold the K3 and all of the lenses I had to move over to Nikon. I purchased a Nikon Z7 and 24-70 to start a new camera system. I found the camera menu to be more intuitive and the photo results to be better. The Z7 was competitive price wise to most of the competing mirrorless cameras. The cost of the Nikon lens is very competitive to the Pentax and the Nikon Z series is growing, not shrinking. So far, I have no regrets in moving to a new camera system.
Gotta be kidding! Way more K mount lenses than Nikon Z mount, Saddlebum!.

And what you've done with the Z7 is buy an inferior version of the D850, IMHO.

And Petapixel showed a professional K-mount kit is much more affordable than the current (soon to be orphaned?) Nikon F mount, anyway!

Last edited by clackers; 08-27-2019 at 05:48 PM.
08-27-2019, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #5609

It may be shrinking, but they still offer what I (realistically) want. I haven't been into photography for too long, but for my wants and needs, the Pentax brand suits me. I'm not a pro and will never ever be. At most I may someday enter a contest. My goal I'm striving for is good enough.

But that's the beauty of it, isn't it? Pentax scratches my itch and Nikon yours. And that's awesome. Nikon makes a hell of a system and has been forever. I learned on a Nikon (Nikkormat) and it was a good teacher. Yeah, your lens kit will be growing and you'll have good glass to play with for a long time.
08-28-2019, 03:25 PM - 2 Likes   #5610
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are we really that rare?

Well, I can't say I've never seen a Pentax in the wild any more. Last weekend at the Warbird Roundup 2019 in Nampa, Idaho I saw one man with a K1 and a K3 and another man with a K5.
I talked to the man with the K1 for a while. He started with a K1000. Nikon was by far the most popular. To make this trip even more unusual, I picked up a D-FA 28-105 lens at Idaho Camera. They had it in stock. Turns out one of the salesmen shoots Pentax.