Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2019, 12:30 AM - 1 Like   #5611
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by saddlebumCO Quote
I recently noticed that Pentax has a shrinking number of lens, both Pentax and third party. I have used Pentax since the Spotmatic days and I always felt Asahi produced a quality product. It just seems that Ricoh is not really interested in keeping Pentax a brand that will attract new customers. The Pentax line-up is just not attractive and has become the smallest of their competitors, giving very few choices. I have sold the K3 and all of the lenses I had to move over to Nikon. I purchased a Nikon Z7 and 24-70 to start a new camera system. I found the camera menu to be more intuitive and the photo results to be better. The Z7 was competitive price wise to most of the competing mirrorless cameras. The cost of the Nikon lens is very competitive to the Pentax and the Nikon Z series is growing, not shrinking. So far, I have no regrets in moving to a new camera system.
As already stated by others, Pentax has way more options than Nikon Z, a mount whose lens selection is obviously growing as it's brand new. I imagine image quality would be superior as we're talking about a change from APS-C to FF, you'd probably have seen at least as much an increase in IQ moving to a K-1.

As far as lens prices go, I'd say that the new mirrorless FF systems (yes, all of them) have very un-competitive lens prices when compared either to Pentax or to FF SLR lenses from CaNikon. Lens prices have taken a huge jump, as have lens sizes.

Personally, Nikon have a very recent history of abandoning lens mounts and I have little confidence in the continuance of the Z mount at this time, given that the cameras have gotten a lukewarm welcome (as have the new Canons). We'll see where it goes in the future.

I'm glad you find your change satisfactory, and that's what really counts, but it does sound like you made it based on very flimsy logic.

08-29-2019, 01:31 AM   #5612
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Canons at least work flawlessly (at least from what I've read) with any and all EF lenses, so they have that going for them. Nikon decided to leave their adapter half-baked. The RF lenses' performance seem to imply Canon is back at flexing their R&D muscle, if only for the "ridiculously expensive" segment. They are probably going to drop the actual flagship R body by the end of the year (or just after Sony's A7Riv).

On topic: no Pentaxes around here lately. Every Asian tourist carries an A7something. I saw a bunch of pro-grade Canikons in München last weekend. One of them looked at my Pentax like "that still exists?".
08-29-2019, 02:17 PM - 3 Likes   #5613

I live in the North East of England and have only ever seen one other Pentax user but I did find a Nikon user who was very impressed with my KP especially when it started to rain !
09-08-2019, 02:52 AM - 5 Likes   #5614
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We may be an Endangered Species, but not yet Extinct!

Was spending the late afternoon/early evening with my son and grandson (Son's birthday) at Wellington Pt just up the coast from Brisbane yesterday (7/9/19 - Australian date format!!!) when a fellow with a camera dangling from a strap around his neck approached.

Had my Pentax KP sitting on my (very old - circa mid 1970s) tripod pointed at the sunset.

The gentleman asked "Is that a KP?" I assured him it was. His camera was a Pentax KS II (if I remember correctly). It was on for young and old. He even referred to this thread in our conversation! We talked about Pentaxes we have owned, lenses we currently own (including many old Pentax M series from film era days) etc etc while his wife chatted with my son and grandson. He dropped his camera backpack on the ground - I put my camera backpack next to his, and my son yelled "TWINS!!".

The sun had set, the wind was up and chilly - but still we talked. He then pulled out what I now think was a (massive!) Pentax 250-500 ( when beginning this post I thought I remembered it being a 50-500mm, but I do not think Pentax ever made such, and I am sure the lens was a pentax - it mounted straight on my camera) and suggested I try it on my camera (not an ideal time to try such a focal length, but we set it up on the tripod, pointed at some distant lights across the water. Result was a little shaky - almost certainly the wind and my ancient tripod, with my dangling camera strap blowing in the wind not helping!!!

He zoomed through a million pics on his phone to show a bird pic, and an impressive moon pic, taken with the 250-500mm

He showed me his Pentax 10-17mm tiny lens - a 180 degrees fisheye - one of his favourite lens.

I gave him my PF name, and he thought he might probably join up (he has lurked here frequently, I gather), so David, if you ever get back here, please do so and let us know. Maybe we can even do a Pentax day together in some local areas!!

My son could not believe this happened, even though he was there!!

09-08-2019, 03:10 AM - 1 Like   #5615
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I went to a class on 9/5/19 on how to photograph Hot Air Balloons at my local Brick and Mortar Store - Wolfe's Camera

it was sponsored by Canon and people could get Canon equipment to use at the Huff N Puff Hot Air Balloon Festival the next two days if they wanted

attendees were asked by the Canon expert what type of camera we had, he was surprised to learn about my K 3 and spoke well of it to me privately

we were both surprised when another Pentax user was found. She was from Kansas City Mo. I did not get to learn what type of Pentax DSLR she had

I did advise her to check out the forums and I hope she does

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-08-2019 at 04:27 AM.
09-09-2019, 04:03 AM - 8 Likes   #5616

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Was spending the late afternoon/early evening with my son and grandson (Son's birthday) at Wellington Pt just up the coast from Brisbane yesterday (7/9/19 - Australian date format!!!) when a fellow with a camera dangling from a strap around his neck approached.

Had my Pentax KP sitting on my (very old - circa mid 1970s) tripod pointed at the sunset.

The gentleman asked "Is that a KP?" I assured him it was. His camera was a Pentax KS II (if I remember correctly). It was on for young and old. He even referred to this thread in our conversation! We talked about Pentaxes we have owned, lenses we currently own (including many old Pentax M series from film era days) etc etc while his wife chatted with my son and grandson. He dropped his camera backpack on the ground - I put my camera backpack next to his, and my son yelled "TWINS!!".

The sun had set, the wind was up and chilly - but still we talked. He then pulled out what I now think was a (massive!) Pentax 250-500 ( when beginning this post I thought I remembered it being a 50-500mm, but I do not think Pentax ever made such, and I am sure the lens was a pentax - it mounted straight on my camera) and suggested I try it on my camera (not an ideal time to try such a focal length, but we set it up on the tripod, pointed at some distant lights across the water. Result was a little shaky - almost certainly the wind and my ancient tripod, with my dangling camera strap blowing in the wind not helping!!!

He zoomed through a million pics on his phone to show a bird pic, and an impressive moon pic, taken with the 250-500mm

He showed me his Pentax 10-17mm tiny lens - a 180 degrees fisheye - one of his favourite lens.

I gave him my PF name, and he thought he might probably join up (he has lurked here frequently, I gather), so David, if you ever get back here, please do so and let us know. Maybe we can even do a Pentax day together in some local areas!!

My son could not believe this happened, even though he was there!!
Yes, that would be me. Thanks for taking the time to chat with the wife and I, not very often I get to talk Pentax lenses.

Now, Camera body is the K5iis, and the lens in question is the Sigma 50-500, the old screw drive version.

Couldn't believe we both had the same camera bag as well

Kind regards, David.
09-09-2019, 05:53 PM   #5617
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Davidp03 Quote
Yes, that would be me. Thanks for taking the time to chat with the wife and I, not very often I get to talk Pentax lenses.

Now, Camera body is the K5iis, and the lens in question is the Sigma 50-500, the old screw drive version.

Couldn't believe we both had the same camera bag as well

Kind regards, David.
Ah, so I was correct in remembering the 50-500mm part but wrong in (mis)remembering it was a Pentax lens. And I scrambled the letters and digits in the camera name. Never mind. It was still amazing to run into another real live Pentax owner. We had only been in that spot for around 40 minutes, so the odds of our encounter happening were absurd. Yet it did.

So, welcome again to PF, look forward to seeing some of the photographs taken with that monstrous lens - I am sure many of the other members interested in astro-photography would be interested in that moon shot you showed me (as would I - I am sure seeing it on your phone screen barely did the shot justice).

09-17-2019, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #5618
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tally of this semester's crop of cameras used in my photo classes:

B&W Film: Canon 7, Nikon 6, Pentax 5 (Spotmatic, (3) K1000, ZX-30).
Advanced Photo: Nikon 10, Canon 5, Pentax 2, Leica 2, Hasselblad 1, Mamiya 1. (Mixed film/digital, 35mm/medium format).
Color Digital: Canon 10, Nikon 9 (18 DSLR, 1 Mirrorless)
09-17-2019, 03:37 PM   #5619

More K mount for me?

Alex, I've only ever seen one real live Leica in my life. And the clerk wouldn't take it out and let me play with it. I do know I can buy two of my (pretty used) motorcycle for the price of a body. I've always wondered, is it there? Like, I don't care what exactly I'll never experience. I just want to know yeah, I'm missing out on something special.
09-17-2019, 04:25 PM - 4 Likes   #5620
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RookieGuy Quote
More K mount for me?

Alex, I've only ever seen one real live Leica in my life. And the clerk wouldn't take it out and let me play with it. I do know I can buy two of my (pretty used) motorcycle for the price of a body. I've always wondered, is it there? Like, I don't care what exactly I'll never experience. I just want to know yeah, I'm missing out on something special.
I have never shot with a Leica, so this is my outsider's view as a photography teacher. All of these have been Leica film cameras. Have yet to have a student with a Leica digital:

a) 1996: First day of class students bring their SLRs for me to check if they are functional. One student hands me her Leica. It's in new condition. I (regretfully) told her that her camera and lens was worth more than everyone else's gear combined; so be careful with it. It scared her so badly, she brought a Canon AE-1 to the next class and I never saw the Leica again.

b) Early 2000's: Had a wealthy, only child art student, that shot with Leica rangefinders. He wore designer jeans, shoes, shirts, Rolex, etc. The Leica was sort of an accessory that took photos. He wore that red dot as a status symbol.

c) 2019: Student just replaced her Pentax K1000 for a Leica R4s. The Summicron 50mm on her Leica is razor sharp and the contrast is outstanding.

My opinion is mixed. I have shot with Zeiss lenses and they are almost too perfect that they have no character to the images they produce.

Leica is also more known for their rangefinders, and I've always preferred the ergonomics and optical finder of SLRs over mirrorless or rangefinders.

I lived in Switzerland for 4 years and found that although German engineering is robust and their optics second to none, but the electronics were less reliable than most Japanese counterparts.
I have always spent more on my cameras and lenses than I could reasonably afford (with no regrets), but I've never been able to justify the quantum cost leap into the Leica world. And because of that, I'd rather buy high end Pentax than the low end Leica. Also one should factor in the cost of repairs and parts, which anyone who's owned a Mercedes/Audi/Porsche/BMW can share with you.
09-24-2019, 04:41 AM   #5621
Pentaxian

While on a trip to Denmark I saw a girl with a P30 and an A series 50mm, not sure if it was the f/1.7 or f/2, but good to see another Pentax around.
10-01-2019, 03:35 AM   #5622
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I wish we'd have another World Pentax Day this 100th year. Maybe it should be on a Saturday. Maybe then I can meet one of the four or five Pentax guys here in Iloilo.
10-01-2019, 03:48 AM   #5623
Pentaxian

Fame of sorts for Ricoh and Pentax

UK members will probably know the highbrow TV quiz "Only Connect". There is a version of the connecting wall section of the programme in the Radio Times TV listing magazine. This week's feature both Ricoh and Pentax!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
10-01-2019, 04:06 AM   #5624
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
UK members will probably know the highbrow TV quiz "Only Connect". There is a version of the connecting wall section of the programme in the Radio Times TV listing magazine. This week's feature both Ricoh and Pentax!
I have to say that was easier than the ones in the programme. Only one red herring.
10-01-2019, 07:18 AM   #5625

It is somewhat depressing to see the Pentax marketshare having it heights with the Spotmatics and the K1000 over the years to fall to its current low single digit marketshare. It's virtually a "cult" following. Many would say with such a small marketshare, it should not deserve to stay in existence unless it is highly profitable (such as Leica). I've been loyal to Pentax for over 50 years and now worry about the future. I've considered over the last few years to switching. With the lack of a Pentax FF system, I had decided to switch (to Canon), but when the K1 was announced in 2016, I jumped in with both feet. I now have the K1 and K1 MKII (two D FA lenses) along with the K3 and a retired K20D. Three years later, I am still concerned what the future has in store for us Pentaxians. With slow limited product development, and delayed product timelines, the future is frankly not bright. What about mirrorless and faster eye recognition AF systems and etc? Once again, I am now considering switching and or maintaining another system with faster technologies (this time not Canon but Sony A7r). At least this way I could still use my vast Pentax legacy library of lenses (FA20, FA31, FA43, FA77, FA*85, & FA*300). I will always have a sweet place in my heart for Pentax, but it getting tough to watch how the current company remnants celebrates its 100th year anniversary. I would have expected more celebration!