Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2019, 05:32 AM   #5746
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Lol he was saying he needed a 600mm or a teleconverter but a canon 2x tc would cost him €500. Entry level canons a great and inexpensive and I suspect things only start getting dear as you move up to the pro stuff, of which there is loads I will be buried in my Pentax beanie but you can see the allure of canon and its options
Both Canon and Nikon lured in people with very cheap bodies with more than decent enough IQ, plus some EF-S/DX nice zooms and the odd prime. And then you realize that they ignore the "enthusiast" categories, that their APS-C offerings are almost only entry-level and that upgrading lenses means going to FF glass, and not precisely the cheap variety.

10-19-2019, 10:54 PM   #5747
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nikon and Canon offer newbies the better alternatives. Cheaper bodies and lenses. Every time I go around school activities I will always see entry level cameras from Canon and Nikon. Pentax used to be a value for money option but at their current prices, it's over the budget of beginners. Plus the lowest model in the ladder is the k-70 and I don't think is low end camera. I think its more of a mid-end camera though others will disagree with me. Another factor is Canon and Nikon are well positioned in the market. They are more known and ads are more visible than Pentax.
10-20-2019, 06:28 AM   #5748

It just doesn't seem like Pentax is interested in advertising in the USA like Canon, Nikon, etc etc are.
10-20-2019, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #5749
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Trey45 Quote
It just doesn't seem like Pentax is interested in advertising in the USA like Canon, Nikon, etc etc are.
I don't know if it has anything to do with interest, but they just don't advertise in the US. Combined with almost no brick-and-mortar presence it's almost 100% word-of-mouth and 3rd-party internet sites like this one.

10-20-2019, 11:18 PM - 2 Likes   #5750
dbs
Pentaxian

I see more kangaroos, deer and stumpy lizards than Pentaxes on the street..

Dave
10-20-2019, 11:46 PM   #5751
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Nikon and Canon offer newbies the better alternatives. Cheaper bodies and lenses. Every time I go around school activities I will always see entry level cameras from Canon and Nikon. Pentax used to be a value for money option but at their current prices, it's over the budget of beginners. Plus the lowest model in the ladder is the k-70 and I don't think is low end camera. I think its more of a mid-end camera though others will disagree with me. Another factor is Canon and Nikon are well positioned in the market. They are more known and ads are more visible than Pentax.
Low end is dying in the camera market, like Point and Shoots.

You don't want your company to be there, you'll go broke, Totsmuyco!
10-21-2019, 01:21 AM   #5752
Veteran Member

Sales people also like the 'easy sell' and that is Canon.

I fully understand this. If I was a salesperson it's very easy to sell a Canon to a newbie.

10-21-2019, 03:59 AM   #5753
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Both Canon and Nikon lured in people with very cheap bodies with more than decent enough IQ, plus some EF-S/DX nice zooms and the odd prime. And then you realize that they ignore the "enthusiast" categories, that their APS-C offerings are almost only entry-level and that upgrading lenses means going to FF glass, and not precisely the cheap variety.
I think you hit the nail on the head there - with CaNikon the only upgrade path is FF, at least for lenses, and that means the extra heft and cost that goes with them.
10-21-2019, 04:31 AM   #5754
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I think you hit the nail on the head there - with CaNikon the only upgrade path is FF, at least for lenses, and that means the extra heft and cost that goes with them.
Leaving that space in the market to Fuji, and to some extent Pentax.
10-21-2019, 04:48 AM   #5755
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wish Pentax marketed more strongly (or at all), because I feel so sorry for those photographers who will never experience the joy of the jewel-like Limiteds, particularly the FAs. On a recent trip on the steam railway between Cheltenham Racecourse and Broadway (UK), I saw someone with a Pentax. It was one of the smaller DSLRs, but he went by too quickly for me to identify it or talk to him. I did not have one of my Pentaxes with me that day.
10-21-2019, 01:15 PM   #5756
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Low end is dying in the camera market, like Point and Shoots.

You don't want your company to be there, you'll go broke, Totsmuyco!
I thought Can\Nik still do a majority of their profit from lower end systems

---------- Post added 10-21-19 at 01:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I wish Pentax marketed more strongly (or at all), because I feel so sorry for those photographers who will never experience the joy of the jewel-like Limiteds, particularly the FAs. On a recent trip on the steam railway between Cheltenham Racecourse and Broadway (UK), I saw someone with a Pentax. It was one of the smaller DSLRs, but he went by too quickly for me to identify it or talk to him. I did not have one of my Pentaxes with me that day.
I am torn between wanting Pentax to do really well and still liking that they are somewhat obscure haha
10-21-2019, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #5757
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
I thought Can\Nik still do a majority of their profit from lower end systems
That's why those two companies are in so much trouble, they're the high volume market leaders and even Canon admit the volume will halve again!

Expect even more layoffs.

10-21-2019, 01:43 PM   #5758
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
Sales people also like the 'easy sell' and that is Canon.

I fully understand this. If I was a salesperson it's very easy to sell a Canon to a newbie.
Or a Nikon "entry level" DLSR kit to a lady in our U3A Digital Photo Group who, frankly, doesn't know when to use the 18-55 kit lens or the "tele" 70-300 alternative because she's sadly & unfortunately "not the sharpest tool in the box" (lovely person though that she is)

Last edited by jeallen01; 10-21-2019 at 01:48 PM.
10-21-2019, 02:02 PM - 2 Likes   #5759
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
I am torn between wanting Pentax to do really well and still liking that they are somewhat obscure haha
I am with you there. In almost all my hobbies I have gone down the path less traveled. Just my thing, I guess.
10-21-2019, 02:13 PM   #5760
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That's why those two companies are in so much trouble, they're the high volume market leaders and even Canon admit the volume will halve again!

Expect even more layoffs.
Yeah in that regard at least Pentax has already been through those shrinking and adapting pains, and is probably in a better position to maintain their niche than Can\Nik if things start to get really bad for them.

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
I am with you there. In almost all my hobbies I have gone down the path less traveled. Just my thing, I guess.

Same. The "popular" routes aren't the best, often.