Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2019, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #5761
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
I am with you there. In almost all my hobbies I have gone down the path less traveled. Just my thing, I guess.
I'm not a "conformalist" - never have been! - 'cause I look to to what would work for me, and that doesn't mean spending loads of cash that I can't afford (much as,TBH, the Fuji XT offerings would be very appealing IF I could afford that )

10-21-2019, 02:49 PM   #5762
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
Yeah in that regard at least Pentax has already been through those shrinking and adapting pains, and is probably in a better position to maintain their niche than Can\Nik if things start to get really bad for them.

Agree. If niche companies can ride through this market crash, how can Canon/Nikon/Sony?

We can see that in some respects - the concentration on high end bodies and lenses - they're desperately trying.

10-21-2019, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #5763

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Aren't all Pentaxians Jedis?
Jedi am I. You be too.
10-21-2019, 10:29 PM - 1 Like   #5764
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by barefootdesigns Quote
Jedi am I. You be too.
May the force be with you.

---------- Post added 10-22-19 at 01:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Low end is dying in the camera market, like Point and Shoots.

You don't want your company to be there, you'll go broke, Totsmuyco!
Maybe clackers. But they do sell a lot. Even during my trip to France last July to August, the number of entry level Nikon and Canon cameras I saw gave quite a count. What I see during school or church sponsored marathons are quite a number of Nikon and Canon entry level cameras. And, I don't know which models are profitable.

10-22-2019, 04:16 PM - 2 Likes   #5765
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote

Maybe clackers. But they do sell a lot. Even during my trip to France last July to August, the number of entry level Nikon and Canon cameras I saw gave quite a count. What I see during school or church sponsored marathons are quite a number of Nikon and Canon entry level cameras.
Here is the absolute *smashing* Canon and Nikon have got to their sales figures since they went mirrorless and a hit to Sony, too … what lesson is there for Pentax, do you think, not from the past but from current results?
Attached Images

10-22-2019, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #5766
Pentaxian

I think they're killing each other in the mirrorless category.
10-22-2019, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #5767
Veteran Member

Here is the absolute *smashing* Canon and Nikon have got to their sales figures since they went mirrorless and a hit to Sony, too … what lesson is there for Pentax, do you think, not from the past but from current results?
The lesson for Pentax....when ya hit rock bottom, the only place to go is up

I forgot Nikon lost their 2nd place real quick. Goes to show how fast things can change in this market

10-22-2019, 06:45 PM   #5768
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is nothing in these figures which would attribute the declines to their mirrorless decisions. Could be but the general decline in camera sales is continuing.
10-22-2019, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #5769
Forum Member

Only time I've run into Pentax users in wild is buying or selling Pentax stuff locally. All were really cool and easy to deal with.

Spent more time chatting about Pentax then completing the actual deal...
10-22-2019, 08:01 PM   #5770
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The lesson for Pentax....when ya hit rock bottom, the only place to go is up
You know that's not true, Leumas, you can always go lower - look at Fuji and Olympus - but Ricoh didn't do that. A lesson to larger companies?

I forgot Nikon lost their 2nd place real quick. Goes to show how fast things can change in this market
Yep. But Sony's *profit* dropped 73% according to another report, even though sales only dropped 7%, so serious ramifications there. Who wants to be a market leader in a crashing market, if all the new products you release don't pay for themselves?

Last edited by clackers; 10-22-2019 at 08:07 PM.
10-22-2019, 08:17 PM   #5771
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
There is nothing in these figures which would attribute the declines to their mirrorless decisions. Could be but the general decline in camera sales is continuing.
If you look at the data on the right, Mike, you can see that those two companies experienced drops in market share, which takes into account overall trends, being a percentage!
10-23-2019, 05:12 AM   #5772
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Senko Quote
Only time I've run into Pentax users in wild is buying or selling Pentax stuff locally. All were really cool and easy to deal with.

Spent more time chatting about Pentax then completing the actual deal...
That's weird, I never looked at it from that point. They always were some abstract entities to me that gave me gear for money. But you're right, they're living people that shot (and perhaps some even keep on shooting) with Pentax. Other than those I only met one other Pentaxian, but counting those in they might be... 5 that still shoot with Pentax, and 5 more that used to.
10-23-2019, 05:15 AM   #5773
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you look at the data on the right, Mike, you can see that those two companies experienced drops in market share, which takes into account overall trends, being a percentage!
Yes, I saw that but I also saw Sony increase market share. Don't you think we need several years of data before we can make a reliable evaluation?
10-23-2019, 02:51 PM   #5774
Veteran Member

You know that's not true, Leumas, you can always go lower - look at Fuji and Olympus - but Ricoh didn't do that. A lesson to larger companies?

Yep. But Sony's *profit* dropped 73% according to another report, even though sales only dropped 7%, so serious ramifications there. Who wants to be a market leader in a crashing market, if all the new products you release don't pay for themselves?

I dunno what you mean by Olympus and Fuji...I'm happy Pentax is going up, but they are at the bottom in that list as far as market share.
10-23-2019, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #5775
Pentaxian

This week is the university games sports competition being held in our city. My daughter is probably the only one using Pentax out there. She's currently shooting with my k-5II on TAv mode and is enjoying herself. Her pictures are sharp and I think she will become a young Jedi Pentaxian. Gave her quite a training did I? I think she likes Pentax and if I have some spare cash, she'll have her own light saber.