Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2019, 05:08 PM   #5791
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
Honestly I think it's because Pentax can be too forward thinking for their own good sometimes. They can get into tech that's not ready for prime-time. Which I think is what happened with the K01. Pentax even had a Fullframe camera in development for release in spring 2001 (MZ-D), which would have beat Canon by a whole year as the first consumer digital Full-Frame camera.
With a terrible experimental sensor, thank goodness they didn't or it might have been the end of the company. And thankfully they didn't go all in on the K-01 mirrorless back then like the other brands have done in the last year, that failed and could have lost them the farm, too.

Instead, they were cautious and survived … all the companies will have to find a way of doing that in this crashing market, not just the little players. Perhaps being a big animal like a dinosaur hurts when the meteorite hits.

10-24-2019, 05:43 PM   #5792

Upcoming Sony

QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
I'd second this. Canon\Nikons decline isn't due to them going mirrorless, rather going too late. Both Sony and Fuji increased market share in that chart.
Before mirrorless, Sony was closer to Pentax in marketshare...No one was talking about their cameras. Now they are #2. Overall market is shrinking (more like saturating not shrinking)
I'm not a huge fan of their cameras though.
For digital I have a K1 MkII, K1, and K3 and fully vested with legacy Pentax film bodies and glass since the late 60's. I looked very recently at the new Sony a7r iv. Very nice camera over the A7r iii. Very nice ultra resolution EVF. It's very tempting to maintain both Pentax and Sony systems (since I can use old Pentax glass on the Sony...yes only in MF). I am plan to rent in spring the Sony a7r iv to check out fully with Sony glass and with an adapter to use my legacy Pentax glass as well. I need to see whether the slight delay (if any) is going to bother me or not. The Sony is lighter than the K1 for sure and I am not getting any younger.

I love the Pentax Way! I look forward to what's coming, but Canon and Nikon are cannibalizing themselves in a shrinking market and Sony has supposedly taken the #1 spot as in FF cameras sold for nearly two years. Yes, the market dynamics have been changing very quickly in a rapidly consolidating market. Sony has taken bold steps to drive the market. It's hopefully time for Pentax to also take a bold step.
10-26-2019, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #5793
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another Saxon Switzerland update: Another two Pentaxes! One K-1 and a 645 (film)!
10-27-2019, 08:58 AM   #5794
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
I've read the "pros dissing Pentax" thread and had a bit of a laugh. I shot high-end Canon for 30 years in my film days but am at a more laidback place now during semi-retirement. For the switch to DSLR, I couldn't justify the expense - particularly for good glass - that Canon entailed and went with Pentax. I am very happy with that choice despite the occasional sneer from my former Canon compatriots.

Now, my topic. During the recent Worldwide Photo Walk, I joined 40+ area photographers for a fun day of shooting followed by a group lunch and wrap-up. In that group, I saw exactly zero Pentax DSLRs - aside from my own. I found myself "justifying" my choice not to go with Canikon during good natured discussions. Not so much distain but more "why in the world would a serious photographer NOT buy Canikon??"

Are we really that sparse out in the world?
Old post and thread, I know, but if you want more Pentax people, just convert them. I find it happens naturally when people find out that I know something about photography and ask me what choices they should make. 😈

10-27-2019, 05:13 PM - 7 Likes   #5795
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While vacationing in Australia and New Zealand over the last month, I met a Japanese tourist in Christchurch, NZ,. I walked over to him, pointed to the K50 camera around my neck, and then pointed to the K1 he was carrying. He's the first Pentax user I've seen in the last 4 years while on my travels. He said he also had a K5 which he showed me when he opened up his gadget bag. Alongside it was a Pentax telephoto lens. I had to travel half way around the world from my home on Long Island, NY, to meet a fellow Pentaxian. Yes, we are very rare and getting rarer. However, I heard in these Forums that Pentaxes are more common in Japan than the rest of the world. Below is a photo of him.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Last edited by psoo; 10-27-2019 at 08:55 PM.
10-28-2019, 09:16 AM   #5796

Another Pentaxian on Tyneside.

I’ve just been out with my camera, only saw one other photographer and to my surprise he was using a Pentax ME.

I got talking to him and he said he went digital, didn’t like it and so reverted to film. He said he owns a K1000 but the ME was his go to camera. He said he bought it new when it was first released and the only work he’s had done on it was a new light seal.

Nice to find another Pentaxian but no way is he going to put any money in Pentax’s pocket, he had no interest in my KP either and far as he was concerned nothing would better his ME so what better advert could there be for Pentax.

Regards Barry
10-28-2019, 09:37 AM   #5797
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
While vacationing in Australia and New Zealand over the last month, I met a Japanese tourist in Christchurch, NZ,. I walked over to him, pointed to the K50 camera around my neck, and then pointed to the K1 he was carrying. He's the first Pentax user I've seen in the last 4 years while on my travels. He said he also had a K5 which he showed me when he opened up his gadget bag. Alongside it was a Pentax telephoto lens. I had to travel half way around the world from my home on Long Island, NY, to meet a fellow Pentaxian. Yes, we are very rare and getting rarer. However, I heard in these Forums that Pentaxes are more common in Japan than the rest of the world. Below is a photo of him.
haha fun story! Yah, it's hard to believe there are more pentaxians somewhere, I just met one, four years ago rofl!

10-28-2019, 12:23 PM   #5798
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a black ME in great condition, and it’s as beautiful a machine as its brother the MX is handsome.
10-28-2019, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #5799
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigbaz Quote
I’ve just been out with my camera, only saw one other photographer and to my surprise he was using a Pentax ME.

I got talking to him and he said he went digital, didn’t like it and so reverted to film. He said he owns a K1000 but the ME was his go to camera. He said he bought it new when it was first released and the only work he’s had done on it was a new light seal.

Nice to find another Pentaxian but no way is he going to put any money in Pentax’s pocket, he had no interest in my KP either and far as he was concerned nothing would better his ME so what better advert could there be for Pentax.

Regards Barry
I don't understand why some folks swear by 35 mm film cameras rather than digital. The limited ways for post processing, costs and time for development and printing, and small number of shots per roll of film are great limitations. Can anybody tell me why 35 mm photography is preferable to digital? It's like washing your clothes in a tub of water instead of a washing machine. Is it just nostalgia?
10-28-2019, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #5800
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m not sure it’s just nostalgia. As Barry said, the point was made that film is a slower way of shooting, rather than pretending your digital is a machine gun. So, taking time to take pictures rather than spraying and praying.

Yes, we can of course spray with digital, but we don’t have to, as can very capably be demonstrated by the excellent photos in the pixel-shift thread. Indeed, pixel shift demands a slow, steady technique. It’s the same with video, really - I grew up using Super-8 film, so my video shooting style is short scenes, with a maximum duration of the completed video of four minutes!

So, habits are hard to break, and although I regularly use my film cameras, it’s really hard not to automatically chimp as soon as the photo’s taken... 😱
10-28-2019, 01:06 PM   #5801
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can anybody tell me why 35 mm photography is preferable to digital? Is it just nostalgia?
For some it is just nostalgia; they fell in love with photography with the analog experience and the cost and convenience of digital are not important to them because they enjoy the analog process.

But for many it's not nostalgia. I shoot both film and digital as I can appreciate the pros and cons of both.

With film, there is an authenticity of making something that is not ones and zeroes in a code.
The film is an object and the photographer handles a blank slate and makes something from it. With digital, you are more removed from the actual making process because of a technology which is more ethereal.
How real is something if the copies are identical to the original? For most of us, this is just a concept that makes no difference; for others, it makes all the difference.

Why would anyone want to drive a car without dynamic radar cruise control, lane departure avoidance, pre-collision pedestrian safety braking, automatic windshield wiper and headlamps, etc?
I'm one of those people that want AND enjoy control with a manual transmission. If I have an accident, I want it to be my fault and not because I relied on a safety feature that failed.
10-28-2019, 01:06 PM   #5802
Pentaxian

I don't understand why some folks swear by 35 mm film cameras rather than digital. The limited ways for post processing, costs and time for development and printing, and small number of shots per roll of film are great limitations. Can anybody tell me why 35 mm photography is preferable to digital? It's like washing your clothes in a tub of water instead of a washing machine. Is it just nostalgia?
If your goal is to get as many pictures as possible and as quickly as possible, then digital is probably the better way to go.

If your goal is to master something challenging where a single minor mistake and ruin the result, then film is probably the better way to go. Some people simply prefer hobbies that are hard and time consuming (film photography, fly fishing, mountain climbing).

Another way to think about it is that It all depends on whether you want the outcome (the photograph) or want the process (photography).
10-28-2019, 01:08 PM   #5803

On all my vacations, I've only ever seen one other Pentax camera in the wild. This is mostly Europe.
10-28-2019, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #5804
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
If your goal is to get as many pictures as possible and as quickly as possible, then digital is probably the better way to go.

If your goal is to master something challenging where a single minor mistake and ruin the result, then film is probably the better way to go. Some people simply prefer hobbies that are hard and time consuming (film photography, fly fishing, mountain climbing).

Another way to think about it is that It all depends on whether you want the outcome (the photograph) or want the process (photography).
There's merit to what you say. The challenge to get good shots with film is a worthy goal. However, there are photo shoots where the film camera will have severe limitations even for great photographers. For example, would you use a film camera if you were a pro photographer taking photos for a wedding where a blinking eye would not be detected till you printed the photos? Nar, you'd take multiple digital shots and select the best.

---------- Post added 10-28-19 at 04:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by krre23 Quote
haha fun story! Yah, it's hard to believe there are more pentaxians somewhere, I just met one, four years ago rofl!
It was, almost certainly, ME. Nice to hear from you buddy.
10-28-2019, 02:30 PM   #5805
Veteran Member

I don't think film is "better". Definitely different. I shoot film still for it's analog qualities...the wondering how that shot will turn out, the careful planing before the shutter, the sometimes rough and non-clinical results. Sometimes digital is just too...clean