Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
10-29-2019, 07:40 PM   #5821
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
Good to know that there's another Pentax shooter on Long Island. Now I know that there's at least 3 of us here.
If you look at the Pentax User Map, there are actually 4 of us in Nassau and Suffolk. And a few more in Queens, if you want to count that as part of Long Island, Plus those who don't show up on the map, of course.

10-29-2019, 08:20 PM   #5822
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
In our camera club there are three Pentax users including me. The majority are CaNikon shooters but we also have three Sony camera owners 2 Olympus and one lady who uses Fujifilm. We have 55 members.
10-29-2019, 10:27 PM   #5823
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Yoda boy Quote
While my local professional camera shop does not carry Pentax in stock any more, all the sales people that I have talked to over the past two years have had nothing but positive comments about the Pentax product. They have also assisted me in purchasing various Pentax items, including cameras and lenses. None of them seem to own Pentax cameras but all were very respectful of the Pentax line, many stating that it was a shame that Pentax was not more popular. It seems that they feel the problem to be a lack of marketing.
I think majority of us here are pointing towards that direction, lack of marketing. If Ricoh wants Pentax to prosper, it has to do a lot of marketing. The good points of Pentax are really good points. Maybe the Ricoh management can see something we can't. Who knows what's on their minds. Maybe their business style is different and for them that is enough.
10-30-2019, 09:30 AM   #5824
Veteran Member

I finished work early today and went for a walk near the local loch, trying to catch the last of Golden hour... I even bumped into another photographer! ...He told me to "get a real camera..."

Well here's what I have to say to that...... RUDE!!!

At least he seemed nice enough otherwise. :P

10-30-2019, 09:34 AM   #5825
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
I finished work early today and went for a walk near the local loch, trying to catch the last of Golden hour... I even bumped into another photographer! ...He told me to "get a real camera..."

Well here's what I have to say to that...... RUDE!!!

At least he seemed nice enough otherwise. :P
I once got annoyed at a guy for a similar comment, but it was just his crusty manner of speech. MY favourite situation of that type was man and woman out shooting in Algonquin. They were actually an older "new couple" he shot Nikon, she shot Canon, the big question was what did I shoot (to break the tie). They were very disappointed. But I've heard that comment from people to other users of the same brand but a different model.
10-31-2019, 12:17 AM   #5826
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
"Real" as in:
a) Canikony?
b) Film?
c) Large format?
d) Leica?

I started out as a pro photographer shooting with Minolta in the 1970's. From the SRT-202 to the X-700 and then the Maxxum 9, paired with some Rokkor primes, I was a happy camper but was bullied and verbally abused by snobs both in front and behind cameras. People can be so callously ignorant when they judge others by a brand.

Of course, one can also be a Pentax snob, but perhaps because of Asahi, Honeywell, Hoya, and Ricoh, it's not in our DNA.

---------- Post added 10-31-19 at 12:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I've heard that comment from people to other users of the same brand but a different model.
So what is the most "real" Pentax camera?
10-31-2019, 01:03 AM - 2 Likes   #5827
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The most ‘real’ Pentax? The original 1957 Asahi Pentax.

I’ve just had some photos blown up to 60x40cm for display, and a friend commented that ‘you must have a good camera; what is it, a Canon?’ I said ‘Pentax’. He said ‘Oh.’

10-31-2019, 01:06 AM - 2 Likes   #5828
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
The one made by Pentacon in Dresden?

10-31-2019, 01:10 AM   #5829
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote

I’ve just had some photos blown up to 60x40cm for display, and a friend commented that ‘you must have a good camera; what is it, a Canon?’ I said ‘Pentax’. He said ‘Oh.’
I think I would just reply, "It's a Me."

Last edited by MikeyBugs95; 10-31-2019 at 10:39 AM.
10-31-2019, 01:14 AM - 1 Like   #5830
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
"Real" as in:
a) Canikony?
b) Film?
c) Large format?
d) Leica?

I started out as a pro photographer shooting with Minolta in the 1970's. From the SRT-202 to the X-700 and then the Maxxum 9, paired with some Rokkor primes, I was a happy camper but was bullied and verbally abused by snobs both in front and behind cameras. People can be so callously ignorant when they judge others by a brand.

Of course, one can also be a Pentax snob, but perhaps because of Asahi, Honeywell, Hoya, and Ricoh, it's not in our DNA.

---------- Post added 10-31-19 at 12:20 AM ----------

So what is the most "real" Pentax camera?
Auch, plenty of snobs everywhere I admit I oftentimes find them rather amusing - unless they're persistent enough to get on one's nerves! Some of them don't really mean to be abrasive - often worth investigating (unless they're really rubbing you up the wrong way, of course)!

Come to think of it, this was the first camera snob I've met (in person) - the last time I went to a camera club, I actually got a respectful nod from the table when I mentioned my camera. There was only one other pentaxian in the club of about fifty folk. It seems, therefore, that the rates of Pentax, within the confines of my observations, are approximately 1(±1) in 50 :P

Im actually glad you brought up the history there, I knew about the Hoya merger and Ricoh, but nothing else. I've not actually looked into it before. It's quite a history they have - quite an interesting read!

---------- Post added 2019-10-31 at 01:15 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I think I would just replied, "It's a Me."
Ha! Love it xD
10-31-2019, 04:50 PM - 3 Likes   #5831
Forum Member

while I still own Nikon bodies and a collection of lenses along with my Pentax gear, the worst snobbery I encountered was towards my aged Nikon body from another Nikon owner.
Oddly enough, strictly based on the technical merits, Images from my old D50 held up better than images from the snobs D300s. They had no idea how to work their gear outside of P and scoffed at my gear.

Meh, at times I actually like having the underdog equipment.
10-31-2019, 05:19 PM - 5 Likes   #5832
Pentaxian

Equipment really doesn't matter. I was a former IPSC shooter. I remember that one of my friends joined a shooting competition in Manila. He used a .45 1911 Norinco and he ended up in the top 5 shooters along the Philippine shooting team. One of the top shooters asked what gun was he using. He showed his Norinco and the shooter looked at him with confusion and said, "No, this is a Colt .45 pistol. You just labeled it Norinco." People are so brand conscious that times they think having a leading brand will improve their skills. Maybe it will give them some advantages but, if you're good, you're good. If not they shouldn't trample on somebody else's gear. After all what's the use of having the best camera if you're a lousy photographer.
10-31-2019, 08:46 PM - 1 Like   #5833

Here's a bit of rambling...It what's behind the camera that is most important. The camera and lens is just a tool. The tool doesn't make the artist. The tool may often allow the artist to achieve different results and higher performance. A true artist can create with any level of tool placed into their hands. When the snobbery blinds those who feel their abilities are a statement of their equipment is when only the results matter. A camera is just a tool and in the hands of a true craftsman, wonders can be created. The snobbery in cameras is worse than with some car people. An average Joe will never get the maximum performance out of Porsche or a Ferrari. So just owning a Porsche or Ferrari does not make you a performance driver. Us Pentaxians represent a small single digit percentage of the crowd out their. Unfortunate as it may be, we will carry on the legacy and longingly seek out other Pentaxians!
10-31-2019, 10:36 PM   #5834
Veteran Member

I haven't seen someone else with Pentax in the last two years.
10-31-2019, 11:05 PM - 2 Likes   #5835
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kingman Quote
Unfortunate as it may be, we will carry on the legacy and longingly seek out other Pentaxians!
To a Jedi Pentaxian, any light saber will work at its best. it is a Jedi Pentaxian's quest to seek out other Jedi Pentaxian. When we meet, the force moves us and we can feel it. We simply say, the force is strong. Then we share our experiences in photography