Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
11-09-2019, 02:57 PM   #5866
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ERNR Quote
I have two recent stories for this thread --
First, a few weeks ago while chatting with and showing pictures to a local photography teacher, he asked me "what kind of camera" and I said, Pentax DSLR.
"PENTAX!" he said, looking as if he was about to fall over. "I didn't know there was such a thing as a Pentax DSLR!"
Well I have 3 ... two that work ...
So the following week he got to look at and handle and try out a Pentax DSLR -- I don't recall if it was the K30 or K50 I had that day, and now he knows.
Wait... Don't forget the second story! The suspense is killing me! :Lol:

11-09-2019, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #5867

Photos: Albums
I thought I posted the second story right after the first — don’t know where it’s disappeared to.
It was that I saw someone with a K70 and 18-135 at the San Antonio (Texas) Zoo a few weeks ago. We had a nice short chat.
This was only the second time I’ve run into a Pentax DSLR “in the wild” and the last time was when my *istD was fairly new.
Anyway unfortunately it was only a sighting for me and not for the other person, as I was traveling light that day with the “toy cameras.”
11-09-2019, 06:29 PM - 4 Likes   #5868
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ERNR Quote
I thought I posted the second story right after the first — don’t know where it’s disappeared to.
It was that I saw someone with a K70 and 18-135 at the San Antonio (Texas) Zoo a few weeks ago. We had a nice short chat.
This was only the second time I’ve run into a Pentax DSLR “in the wild” and the last time was when my *istD was fairly new.
Anyway unfortunately it was only a sighting for me and not for the other person, as I was traveling light that day with the “toy cameras.”
We go to the San Antonio Zoo monthly, so at first I thought you were reporting a sighting of me

If you were, it would have went something like, "I saw some crazy guy juggling three older Pentax bodies and more lenses than a professional wedding kit testing all his gear on an impatient flamingo while his family rolled his eyes and pretended not to know him."
11-09-2019, 09:17 PM   #5869

I found a Pentaxian at the Penn Relays this year

I volunteer as a timer at the Penn Relays each year and watch as many volunteer photographers shoot the athletes as they compete. Occasionally a photographer will take shots of the timers. This year the guy who did that was a Pentaxian, can't remember what model he had.

11-09-2019, 10:02 PM   #5870

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
We go to the San Antonio Zoo monthly, so at first I thought you were reporting a sighting of me

If you were, it would have went something like, "I saw some crazy guy juggling three older Pentax bodies and more lenses than a professional wedding kit testing all his gear on an impatient flamingo while his family rolled his eyes and pretended not to know him."
HA!
No, I talked to the guy (so you would know!) and he was carrying the one k70 with zoom, not juggling.
However, if you go that often, I wonder that I haven't met you yet. I'm a member and I visit quite frequently.
11-10-2019, 04:03 AM   #5871
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sometimes when I do my photo shoot, I don't get to see other cameras. So that gives Pentax a score of 2 and other brands 0. ������
11-10-2019, 04:21 AM   #5872
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Sometimes when I do my photo shoot, I don't get to see other cameras. So that gives Pentax a score of 2 and other brands 0. ������
And for me that's the point. I think the DSLR is becoming rarer but Pentax is set up to be more resilient in the market place

11-10-2019, 05:10 AM   #5873
Pentaxian

The way I see it is the whole DSLR and MILC market have reached the saturation point. How many of us here do buy cameras every year or two? It won't be that much. We have guys here who still have their first digital cameras and some haven't even upgraded. Some have upgraded probably 5 years ago and feel they still don't need a new camera. Buying a new cam isn't an annual thing. Demand won't be that much as DSLRs early years.
11-10-2019, 08:58 AM   #5874
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still have (and occasionally use) my *istDS, and my K-3II is more than four years old now. I’d be more than happy to not think about changing for the indefinite future - except that the livE hociR is tempting me with photos of a new flagship APS-c cam...
11-10-2019, 10:28 AM   #5875
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd be happy with my k-3 , with flip out backscreen, 10 FPS, 250 shot buffer and faster buffer clearing.
However falling short of that, I'll be looking for a clearout K-P or equivalent, when my K-3 dies.
I seriously doubt Pentax will do what I hope, but I'm also seriously ready to put another 70,000 clicks on my K-3 before I buy another camera. so , I don't really care. For a field camera I just love my K-1 and I'll stick with it.

In way I'm hoping the new APS-c sucks. I don't want to get tempted into buying a system that adds very little additional functionality.
11-10-2019, 03:22 PM   #5876
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
The way I see it is the whole DSLR and MILC market have reached the saturation point. How many of us here do buy cameras every year or two? It won't be that much. We have guys here who still have their first digital cameras and some haven't even upgraded. Some have upgraded probably 5 years ago and feel they still don't need a new camera. Buying a new cam isn't an annual thing. Demand won't be that much as DSLRs early years.
Like I've said before. This is a good thing! Market saturation is going to cause them to have to really innovate with new ideas. Out of the box stuff that makes an upgrade worth it. No more of this just higher fps/mp/focus speed stuff.

In this regard, Pentax has an edge, they've already been very innovative to stay afloat.
11-10-2019, 04:04 PM   #5877
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
Like I've said before. This is a good thing! Market saturation is going to cause them to have to really innovate with new ideas. Out of the box stuff that makes an upgrade worth it. No more of this just higher fps/mp/focus speed stuff.

In this regard, Pentax has an edge, they've already been very innovative to stay afloat.
Agree with almost you say - except for the focus speed issue which we all "know" can be an "issue" with Pentax body/lens combos, which is why we need more lenses like the 55-300 PLM (and PDQ!) because, with more of those lenses (and some more f/w tweaks for the bodies) the "speed" issues should be quite well "resolved".
11-10-2019, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #5878
Forum Member

In September I participated in a sunset photo tour at the Maxwell Wildlife Refuge in central Kansas. The refuge is a native prairie preserve that is home to a large herd of bison. We went out into the refuge about an hour before sunset to shoot grazing bison backlit by the setting sun; I'd guess that there were probably 30 to 40 photographers participating. Although I did talk with some of the other photographers, I didn't pay much attention to what gear they were using. I figured there was little chance of running into another Pentax shooter in such a small group in the middle of Kansas.

But a few days ago a Pentax photographer from Wichita, KS posted a sunset photo from Maxwell over on the Pentaxians Facebook group. I commented on his photo, and discovered that we were both present on the Sept sunset tour. Hopefully we'll have a chance to meet on a future tour.
11-11-2019, 02:21 AM   #5879

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My last trip to Exposure, they practically forced a 645D and DA 560 into my hands. They were disappointed. I told them the 560 was too long for me to carry to the places I go and the way I travel, and though I liked the 645D, the cost was prohibitive. IN retrospect, I wonder is the K-1 my 645D replacement?
Yess K1 is a very good camera and you do all what is possible with 3 zoom.... 24/70, 70/200 and 150/400. They have been build for this camera and are very efficient.
11-11-2019, 06:28 AM - 2 Likes   #5880
Veteran Member

I spotted not just one, or even two... but an entire family of four Pentaxians at the weekend! They were Japanese - must have travelled a fair bit to get to Scotland as well! I wish I had thought to ask their travel route though!

I tried asking David Attenborough if there is a collective name for a group of Pentaxians: it turns out a group of Pentaxians is formally known as a "Pleasestopcallingme"