Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2019, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #5881
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
I tried asking David Attenborough if there is a collective name for a group of Pentaxians: it turns out a group of Pentaxians is formally known as a "Pleasestopcallingme"

If you'd tried a bit more, we'd be "Imcallingthepolice".

11-11-2019, 03:00 PM - 2 Likes   #5882
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The other day another hiker says "that's a dope camera" about my k3ii+16-85, which I use attached with a peak design capture clip to my backpack. Not the first time I get positive comments on the trail about the k3ii, not that I see that many photographers hiking with cameras in winter either. Not exactly on topic...
11-11-2019, 03:23 PM   #5883
Pentaxian

I spotted not just one, or even two... but an entire family of four Pentaxians at the weekend! They were Japanese - must have travelled a fair bit to get to Scotland as well! I wish I had thought to ask their travel route though!

I tried asking David Attenborough if there is a collective name for a group of Pentaxians: it turns out a group of Pentaxians is formally known as a "Pleasestopcallingme"
Any idea of what kit those Japanese photogs were using??
11-11-2019, 04:13 PM - 4 Likes   #5884
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
The other day another hiker says "that's a dope camera" about my k3ii+16-85, which I use attached with a peak design capture clip to my backpack. Not the first time I get positive comments on the trail about the k3ii, not that I see that many photographers hiking with cameras in winter either. Not exactly on topic...
I don't know why but this made me think of when I'm out with my K10D+ battery grip, and people are like "that's a nice camera you got there" And I just think to myself...."Yeah a 14yr old $100 ebay camera!" haha
It just highlights public perception, and why full-timers prefer a larger camera just for appearances....

11-11-2019, 07:49 PM   #5885
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
I don't know why but this made me think of when I'm out with my K10D+ battery grip, and people are like "that's a nice camera you got there" And I just think to myself...."Yeah a 14yr old $100 ebay camera!" haha
It just highlights public perception, and why full-timers prefer a larger camera just for appearances....
...And why I am always tempted to buy a camera grip, even though I have absolutely no use for one
11-11-2019, 08:19 PM   #5886
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapppy Quote
...And why I am always tempted to buy a camera grip, even though I have absolutely no use for one
lol I wish they had one for my K-70.
I really like the extra battery life, but rarely "need" it.
11-11-2019, 08:24 PM - 1 Like   #5887
Pentaxian

Because it makes the camera look sexier and meaner than mean.

11-12-2019, 01:30 AM   #5888
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Any idea of what kit those Japanese photogs were using??
I'm afraid I didn't get a good look - I saw most of them "from above" as I walked by; and only got a good look at one of them once I sat down.

Two had integrated flashes, with a smooth housing - my first guess was a K-50 or 70, but I might be biased because I have a K-50 myself and I'm misremembering them. Im afraid they were all boring black... come on guys! You have the Japanese colour options of... pretty much everything!

The other two had "sharp" looking prism housings: the only one I positively identified was a K-1 (or K-1 II, I never saw the marking itself and apparently the bodies look practically identical) - the other was a bit wider but still had that angular look. Looking through the list of bodies, I'm pretty sure it was a K-3 - but, I might be wrong!

So, thats 2x K-50/70 (or similar), K-1, and probably a K-3.

Quite a decent selection, now that I think about it! All they needed was one of those medium-frame bodies and they could have covered the entire consumer spectrum from entry-level to seriously serious.

I wish I had actually spoken to them for more than a quick greeting - I regret not checking out their gear!
11-12-2019, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #5889
Pentaxian

I'm afraid I didn't get a good look - I saw most of them "from above" as I walked by; and only got a good look at one of them once I sat down.

Two had integrated flashes, with a smooth housing - my first guess was a K-50 or 70, but I might be biased because I have a K-50 myself and I'm misremembering them. Im afraid they were all boring black... come on guys! You have the Japanese colour options of... pretty much everything!

The other two had "sharp" looking prism housings: the only one I positively identified was a K-1 (or K-1 II, I never saw the marking itself and apparently the bodies look practically identical) - the other was a bit wider but still had that angular look. Looking through the list of bodies, I'm pretty sure it was a K-3 - but, I might be wrong!

So, thats 2x K-50/70 (or similar), K-1, and probably a K-3.

Quite a decent selection, now that I think about it! All they needed was one of those medium-frame bodies and they could have covered the entire consumer spectrum from entry-level to seriously serious.

I wish I had actually spoken to them for more than a quick greeting - I regret not checking out their gear!
At times I wish I can talk to a fellow Jedi Pentaxian. However, I sorta didn't like my experience when a lady using a KS2 looked at me as if I was a creep while I was pointing at the Pentax label of my camera. So I don't socialize despite seeing someone with the same brand. Though at times I wish I could.
11-12-2019, 07:48 AM - 2 Likes   #5890
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
At times I wish I can talk to a fellow Jedi Pentaxian. However, I sorta didn't like my experience when a lady using a KS2 looked at me as if I was a creep while I was pointing at the Pentax label of my camera. So I don't socialize despite seeing someone with the same brand. Though at times I wish I could.
Unfortunately, it is in some aspects, perfectly understandable. Were I a lone female, I would probably roll my eyes at being approached by yet another man (with a camera) too! I mean, let's face it, men are annoying!

Heck, come to think of it - I would be instantly on-guard if anybody approached me out-the-blue: even if I would still relish a conversation with a Pentaxian. Some people are just more wary than others! Chalk it up to bad lack and don't let it deter you.

Unless you are in fact creepy - in which case, please let it deter you. I dunno - are you creepy?
11-12-2019, 09:27 AM   #5891
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love a battery grip for shooting portraits, much easier, and the extra battery life is good. And as noted, people register the camera as "pro" when they see it.
11-12-2019, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #5892
Pentaxian

Unfortunately, it is in some aspects, perfectly understandable. Were I a lone female, I would probably roll my eyes at being approached by yet another man (with a camera) too! I mean, let's face it, men are annoying!

Heck, come to think of it - I would be instantly on-guard if anybody approached me out-the-blue: even if I would still relish a conversation with a Pentaxian. Some people are just more wary than others! Chalk it up to bad lack and don't let it deter you.

Unless you are in fact creepy - in which case, please let it deter you. I dunno - are you creepy?
Of course not.

Actually I'm quite friendly. About 3 years ago one Pentaxian here saw my camera, came to me and introduced himself. We chatted for quite a while but I haven't seen him since then. It was a pleasing conversation. I believe he takes photos for a living. He shoots weddings, birthdays and other events. It's good to meet and know other Pentaxians.
11-12-2019, 11:35 PM - 1 Like   #5893
Pentaxian

Skyrocket shop - Ultra portable & smooth camera slider | Facebook

Sorry about this. But it's advertisement which used a Pentax K200 camera. Well maybe we're not that rare after all.
11-24-2019, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #5894
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OMG...walking in Walnut Creek Park in Austin where I'm visiting and saw a real live Pentax user. Had a K7 with an 18-135!

First time ever!

Last edited by jgnfld; 11-24-2019 at 10:23 AM.
11-26-2019, 05:22 AM   #5895

On an interbrand on the spot contest here, Nikon drew I think hundreds up to a thousand participants. Canon, Nikon and Fuji have hundreds. Pentax drew 20+ users