Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2019, 06:09 AM   #5896
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I believe the Pentax community is really small even during the film days. I've only seen 4 people using Pentax during the 80s. Marketing in the Philippines must've been wrong. Canon and Nikon always dominated the scene. Minolta was quite popular too.

11-26-2019, 06:40 AM   #5897
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ghosteclipse Quote
On an interbrand on the spot contest here, Nikon drew I think hundreds up to a thousand participants. Canon, Nikon and Fuji have hundreds. Pentax drew 20+ users
Where is here?
11-26-2019, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #5898
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I believe the Pentax community is really small even during the film days. I've only seen 4 people using Pentax during the 80s. Marketing in the Philippines must've been wrong. Canon and Nikon always dominated the scene. Minolta was quite popular too.
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Where is here?
One can assume 'here' is the Philippines. In the film days, Pentax was not at all "really small" globally. They were easily in the top 5 with Nikon, Canon, Minolta, and Olympus, and because of their presence with both the 67 and 645, I'd say number three. A whole generation of photographers learned photography with a K1000 in the U.S. Much less common 35mm SLR cameras included Konica, Topcon, Yashica, Alpa, Contax, Leica, and Ricoh.
11-27-2019, 03:44 AM   #5899
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Where is here?
Philippines as was mentioned earlier. It does not help that there is only one dealer that sells Pentax gear here. It may not be right to compare it with Japan but it really is a joy shopping Pentax gear there. Then again it also is true for almost all other brands.

---------- Post added 11-27-19 at 06:49 PM ----------

Was there any marketing effort at all Pentax representatives did meet the local Pentax community once during a previous iteration of that photo contest though. They probably figured their market is too small here to produce any return on investment. Too bad the K1 and KP would probably have sold well. It does not help that the brand new prices are quite steep.

11-27-2019, 05:37 AM   #5900
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
One can assume 'here' is the Philippines. In the film days, Pentax was not at all "really small" globally. They were easily in the top 5 with Nikon, Canon, Minolta, and Olympus, and because of their presence with both the 67 and 645, I'd say number three. A whole generation of photographers learned photography with a K1000 in the U.S. Much less common 35mm SLR cameras included Konica, Topcon, Yashica, Alpa, Contax, Leica, and Ricoh.
Pentax was the first manufacturer to get to 10 million camera's actually. They were THE big brand prior to the 80's.
When AF rolled around they quickly lost market share.
11-27-2019, 06:34 AM   #5901
Pentaxian

There wasn't that much Pentax here in the 80s. Like I said, I can only remember 4 users. Minolta and Olympus were more popular than Pentax back then. Now we only have one exclusive distributor. And as ghoseclipse said, the prices are really steep.
11-27-2019, 08:28 PM   #5902

QuoteOriginally posted by jschoonj Quote
Pentax was the first manufacturer to get to 10 million camera's actually. They were THE big brand prior to the 80's.
Pentax was the brand that introduced AF in SLRs.

11-27-2019, 09:38 PM   #5903
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by trevinon Quote
Pentax was the brand that introduced AF in SLRs.

Yet they were unable to take advantage.

11-28-2019, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #5904
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Which is just like Kodak - first to demonstrate a digital camera, and put out of business by the technology.
11-28-2019, 06:07 AM   #5905
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Which is just like Kodak - first to demonstrate a digital camera, and put out of business by the technology.
Yes, and contrary to popular belief Kodak really did put in considerable effort to stay relevant.
The companies they worked with to develop camera's with Kodak sensors inside still profit from Kodak's knowledge of image rendering today IMHO.
11-29-2019, 01:42 AM - 3 Likes   #5906
Veteran Member

I just got a compliment on my DSLR from a work colleague - said my K-50 is a "serious-looking bit of kit!"

He then asked what "Pentax" means - I explained that it was the make of the camera... and he asked if it was a Chinese knockoff of a Canon or Nikon. O_o

... Almost spat my coffee out at that one!

He's actually looking to upgrade his Nikon bridge camera, and was impressed by the specs on the K-1 and K-3 (relative to similarly spec'd Canons and Nikons - especially on the price front) - said he was glad he saw me with it in the office, as he's now leaning towards a Pentax!

I think we may have a convert! Prepare the initiation ceremony! I hope my robes still fit...
11-29-2019, 04:50 AM   #5907
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
I just got a compliment on my DSLR from a work colleague - said my K-50 is a "serious-looking bit of kit!"

He then asked what "Pentax" means - I explained that it was the make of the camera... and he asked if it was a Chinese knockoff of a Canon or Nikon. O_o

... Almost spat my coffee out at that one!

He's actually looking to upgrade his Nikon bridge camera, and was impressed by the specs on the K-1 and K-3 (relative to similarly spec'd Canons and Nikons - especially on the price front) - said he was glad he saw me with it in the office, as he's now leaning towards a Pentax!

I think we may have a convert! Prepare the initiation ceremony! I hope my robes still fit...
In the initiation ceremony you have to say, "Welcome to THE FORCE young Pentaxian Jedi. Learn from the masters and use your light saber well. May the Force be with you."
11-29-2019, 05:02 AM - 3 Likes   #5908
Veteran Member

In the initiation ceremony you have to say, "Welcome to THE FORCE young Pentaxian Jedi. Learn from the masters and use your light saber well. May the Force be with you."
Does that mean that film photographers belong to the darkroom side?
11-29-2019, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #5909
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
Does that mean that film photographers belong to the darkroom side?
They are like deep penetrating Pentax Jedi. They go inside the darkroom side and come out to bring beautiful photos.
11-29-2019, 08:23 AM   #5910
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I advanced from rangefinder to SLR in 1979, I got a Pentax, because Pentax was the name I had been hearing in the 1970s. When I advanced from MF to AF in 1995, I got a Canon, because the EF-mount seemed so much advanced considering what Pentax and Nikon were doing at the time.