Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
11-29-2019, 08:27 AM   #5911
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jschoonj Quote
Yes, and contrary to popular belief Kodak really did put in considerable effort to stay relevant.
The companies they worked with to develop camera's with Kodak sensors inside still profit from Kodak's knowledge of image rendering today IMHO.
But Kodak had largely ceded the manufacture of cameras to Oriental firms by the time digital came out, and focused on being the number-one manufacturer of film, so they had an uphill battle to stay relevant .... which they lost badly.

12-09-2019, 06:36 PM   #5912

The event photographer at the concert I was at last night used a K3...I never got a chance to see up close to see what K-model it exactly was, but did see the 'Pentax' on his strap.

I assumed it was a K3 given the top layout, but the published pictures and EXIF data confirmed it. I was guessing from the lens attached, and also the EXIF, the 50-135, but I also see 43mm listed on one of the pictures, so the 43 LTD as well?

Honestly surprised to see another Pentax out in the wild, but the pictures came out well too.
12-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #5913
Forum Member

I photographed my friend's wedding celebration (sample pic in the K3 thread). A friend of his family was there taking "crowd photos"; we wound up chatting upon which the following things were mentioned.
  • "I've never heard of that brand (Pentax)"
  • "I've been shooting for 40 years"
  • "I shoot Nikon"

I get that Pentax isn't a household name, but how on Earth can you be into photography for 4 decades having never heard of Pentax? The K1000 was one of the most popular SLRs ever made.
12-10-2019, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #5914
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Since he's just a friend of the family your friend, I wouldn't believe him. I know Pentax was a little rare here in the Philippines but, if you're a photo enthusiast you will hear that name. Unpopular DSLR brands such as Chinon, Contax and Yashica were even known here. Ricoh even had their own DSLRs. Pentax was one of the top 5 brands in the world. Of course with Canon and Nikon leading. Then the other 3 were Minolta, Olympus and Pentax. If he were a photo enthusiast for 40 years he would be read Modern Photography and other camera mags. I'm sure he would've encountered them. I'd say he's either exaggerating his years in photography or merely putting down the brand.

12-10-2019, 05:20 PM   #5915
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by guinnessman Quote
The event photographer at the concert I was at last night used a K3...I never got a chance to see up close to see what K-model it exactly was, but did see the 'Pentax' on his strap.

I assumed it was a K3 given the top layout, but the published pictures and EXIF data confirmed it. I was guessing from the lens attached, and also the EXIF, the 50-135, but I also see 43mm listed on one of the pictures, so the 43 LTD as well?

Honestly surprised to see another Pentax out in the wild, but the pictures came out well too.
Always cool to come across some Pentax

QuoteOriginally posted by phreon Quote
I photographed my friend's wedding celebration (sample pic in the K3 thread). A friend of his family was there taking "crowd photos"; we wound up chatting upon which the following things were mentioned.
  • "I've never heard of that brand (Pentax)"
  • "I've been shooting for 40 years"
  • "I shoot Nikon"

I get that Pentax isn't a household name, but how on Earth can you be into photography for 4 decades having never heard of Pentax? The K1000 was one of the most popular SLRs ever made.
By "shooting" what he means is; for a long time he had a camera in a bag, that he purchased at a big box store, and occasionally took out of said bag to shoot every other month or so. And that was the extent of his exposure to photography
The funny thing is I think most people that don't really know about Pentax kinda assume you're even more elite than a "normal" photographer. Kinda like when you come across someone with a phase one or something lol
12-11-2019, 01:58 AM   #5916
Veteran Member

Someone has probably mentioned it before but scrolling through youtube I came across some really interesting video on macro photography by a bloke named Thomas Shahan. He shoots with Pentax!
12-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #5917
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the topic of YouTube, there's a channel dedicated to watches and in the background of some of the videos there's a film camera... A Pentax MX!

12-11-2019, 12:10 PM   #5918

After so many entries, I decided to count how many people since 1968 that I personally influenced to purchase a Pentax camera. From the Pentax Spotmatic through the Pentax ME Super days, it has been over 8 people. Since the Pentax digital days, I've not been able to convince anyone and have seen only 2 other Pentax digital users out in the field. It's still sad to say Pentax is relying on virtually only the Pentax established faithful to stay afloat in the declining market of DSLR and digital cameras in general. We can only hope Pentax can maintain itself as a cult camera company in the future unlike other big named companies.
12-11-2019, 07:55 PM   #5919
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Someone has probably mentioned it before but scrolling through youtube I came across some really interesting video on macro photography by a bloke named Thomas Shahan. He shoots with Pentax!
He has some nice techniques with great results. Though I can't identify what model he's using.
12-11-2019, 10:59 PM - 2 Likes   #5920
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first SLR camera was a law school graduation gift, a Pentax ME Super. Dad got himself one while he was at it. I later learned that the cameras and lenses were purchased at KMart. KMart actually had quite a display case of 35mm cameras. Sears sold them too, and of course every good photography store carried them. I recall Pentax cameras being used by my high school newspaper/yearbook staff, and photography geeks. Pentax K1000s were widespread back in the 1970s and 1980s. And, by the time my ME Super wore out, the Pentax brand seemed almost absent. After I finally bought my first DSLR circa 2013 on eBay, I don't think you could find a Pentax camera in a store around here.

Circa 2014 I walked into one of the last camera shops in Cedar Rapids as I was just getting into DSLR photography and wanted to see what accessories were available. I think I had a K200D at the time. The guy behind the counter had the curiosity of a resident local trying to figure out what planet the alien came from; he carried no accessories specifically for a Pentax camera. It was my first realization the brand I coveted, from which I received such great service, was either unknown, or out of favor.

Here is the issue I have . . . my ME Super was kaput by about 2008. My daughter was not fully grown. I had a digital camera - its sensor was not sensitive to light. Digital photography was in its infancy and expensive. There are some years that were not well recorded.

When we have family get-togethers I play our old 8mm Kodak movies to rave reviews … they have been digitized. I can see my deceased relatives moving, and for us, it is emotionally riveting, and hilarious to see those of us still living when we were in diapers or slightly older. The filmography wasn't good, I wasn't a good subject. But, as a father, I didn't make such a good historical family record as my dad did for us because as my daughter was growing up we were caught between technologies, one of which stopped working and the new one was too expensive for me to buy the quality equipment that was necessary in circa 2003-08 to have something useable.
12-11-2019, 11:41 PM   #5921
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote

When we have family get-togethers I play our old 8mm Kodak movies to rave reviews … they have been digitized. I can see my deceased relatives moving, and for us, it is emotionally riveting, and hilarious to see those of us still living when we were in diapers or slightly older.
Funny I grew up going to Cedar Rapids and watching those movies. My Aunt was the custodian. I might have them in some digitally diminished form from 2000 lost in a graveyard of those who digitalized and the old hard drives.
12-12-2019, 12:08 AM - 2 Likes   #5922
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We now have four pentaxians in Lancaster photographic society! Four! In one room
12-12-2019, 04:56 AM   #5923
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
We now have four pentaxians in Lancaster photographic society! Four! In one room
As far as I know we are about 6 in the entire island of Panay. And, it's quite a big island. Plus I only have met 2 in person and 1 on Facebook.
12-12-2019, 06:31 AM   #5924
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
As far as I know we are about 6 in the entire island of Panay. And, it's quite a big island. Plus I only have met 2 in person and 1 on Facebook.
They will be the ones photographing whatever the weather
12-12-2019, 01:05 PM   #5925
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Since he's just a friend of the family your friend, I wouldn't believe him. I know Pentax was a little rare here in the Philippines but, if you're a photo enthusiast you will hear that name. Unpopular DSLR brands such as Chinon, Contax and Yashica were even known here. Ricoh even had their own DSLRs. Pentax was one of the top 5 brands in the world. Of course with Canon and Nikon leading. Then the other 3 were Minolta, Olympus and Pentax. If he were a photo enthusiast for 40 years he would be read Modern Photography and other camera mags. I'm sure he would've encountered them. I'd say he's either exaggerating his years in photography or merely putting down the brand.
Very good arguments, congratulations.