Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2020, 06:38 PM   #6061
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
Pentax has about 2-3% of market share, they are that rare.
I do not like people judgjing others by equipment "Users of Canikons are mislead thinking the world of photography ends with their cameras."
This has a very bad taste to me.

---------- Post added 01-13-20 at 08:52 AM ----------

Pentax has about 2-3% of market share, they are that rare.
I do not like people judgjing others by equipment "Users of Canikons are mislead thinking the world of photography ends with their cameras."
This has a very bad taste to me.
I feel confronted without proper cause WorksAsIntended.
Where did I judge others by equipment?

---------- Post added 01-13-20 at 07:00 PM ----------

Quite often it is purely a coincidence that influences the choice.
When I was about to choose a digital camera a friend who owned a camera store showed me a K200d body.
He explained the advantages of Pentax like compatibility with older lenses, showed me the metal bayonet and lens fittings.
That did it for me. Never liked Canon wide angle lenses. Started out many years earlier with Nikon bodies but did not make it to AF with bodies like the F4.
35 mm was only part of my interest in photography. I was convinced of medium format over 35 years ago. But that is another story.

Last edited by Fluegel; 01-13-2020 at 07:01 PM.
01-14-2020, 02:02 AM   #6062
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Statements such as
QuoteOriginally posted by Fluegel Quote
Users of Canikons are mislead thinking the world of photography ends with their cameras.
Or

QuoteOriginally posted by Fluegel Quote
Do I take a lady photographer who turns up with an 18-200 mm lens to shoot a portrait seriously?
Absolutely no chance to start a discussion about gear with her.
*Do* sound pretty judgy. From experience: in company environments, people tend to use whatever company-issued equipment they are given, which is not necessarily what they would use. Heck, I've been stuck with terrible software choices both in academia and industry because I don't get to choose
01-16-2020, 09:34 AM - 2 Likes   #6063
Veteran Member

Ricoh has a market share of 3.1% for DSLRs, in 2019. If we also consider the MLs, the market share is 1.5%. By interpolation it turns out that I as a Pentax user must meet 133 other photographers with ILCs, until I meet another Pentax user. If we take into account that many people use smartphones for photography, then I have to see about 8,000 people taking pictures until I see the wise man who uses Pentax.
In conclusion, it is logical for us to be so rare.

Last edited by edri; 01-16-2020 at 09:51 AM.
01-16-2020, 02:04 PM - 4 Likes   #6064
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
It is logical for us to be so rare.
Perhaps "rare" is the wrong word, try "select"....

01-20-2020, 11:42 AM   #6065
Veteran Member

That is the correct word: select!
01-20-2020, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #6066
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the concept of select !

Was chatting to a professional photographer, Dan, Capture the Atlas - Travel & Photography Blog | Photo Tours who has some really great stuff on his site, please have a look (free plug) and i was explaining my rationale for going down the PENTAX pathway,

He made some interesting comments.

Pentax cameras are famous for being rugged, sturdy and capable of standing almost any weather condition. There is no doubt why it's the favorite camera of most of the war-journalists

Now there's a niche i have never heard discussed here , what exposure do you use for the apocalypse !

and

As for the technical aspects of the camera, being honest I never had the chance of trying a Pentax camera nor found any client on my workshops using their system. I heard that they deliver pretty good results but, as you said, it looks like the range of lens options is not as varied as with the most popular brands. As for the ISO I'm sure you can handle 3200 perfectly and even up to 6400 with a decent amount of noise, so paired with any of the fast lenses you mentioned I'm sure you'll see pretty good results.

( We were talking astrophotograhy)

No not only select, i think there is probably a lot of respect from those that take their photography seriously, esp outdoors.
01-20-2020, 02:58 PM   #6067

Got back from a 3 week south America trip a couple of weeks ago, I ran into a, I believe German guy with Pentax, talked a few minutes with him, it was GREAT!

01-22-2020, 09:12 AM   #6068
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe a few more people have heard of Pentax now that DP Review issued a couple of videos about the brand last week, even going as far as to call it "Pentax Week". The videos were entertaining, and Chris Niccols refrained from making snide remarks about our beloved brand. I think he sneakily likes Pentax.
01-22-2020, 09:16 AM   #6069
Pentaxian

As it happens, I was in Rhossili on the 3rd of January with my little dogs (and Pentax camera). Only took a few shots but, whilst scanning through someone's pictures on Flickr, they were in Rhossili on the same day! Namely, @ffking!

I didn't bump into them, unfortunately...
01-22-2020, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #6070
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
I didn't bump into them, unfortunately...
I was lookng at all the dogs in my beach shots just in case! - Oh well, I'm sure we'll be back
01-22-2020, 09:39 AM   #6071
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I was lookng at all the dogs in my beach shots just in case! - Oh well, I'm sure we'll be back
If you happen to see two in little jumpers - one pink jumper (larger dog) and one maroon jumper (smaller dog) that'd be me!
01-22-2020, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #6072
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
If you happen to see two in little jumpers - one pink jumper (larger dog) and one maroon jumper (smaller dog) that'd be me!
- Oh yes, I'd checked your stream for evidence before looking - looking at the EXIF though, I think we were there up to a couple of hours after you
01-22-2020, 04:11 PM   #6073
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Maybe a few more people have heard of Pentax now that DP Review issued a couple of videos about the brand last week, even going as far as to call it "Pentax Week". The videos were entertaining, and Chris Niccols refrained from making snide remarks about our beloved brand. I think he sneakily likes Pentax.
Well its a different story when he's had some gin. The snide remarks come out.
01-22-2020, 04:57 PM   #6074
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Well its a different story when he's had some gin. The snide remarks come out.
This is true!
01-22-2020, 06:12 PM   #6075

It seems like the "Pentax Week" DPR videos are somehow trying to make up or suck to Pentaxians. Chris says too often that he (they) really likes Pentax... Have they ever had a Canon or Nikon week? The videos are entertaining but are not telling us what we already now how great we love our Pentax gear. Sounds like an "advertisement" or even an endorsement or a kiss and make up session of some sort. Nevertheless, it's a pleasant to hear them being relatively positive about Pentax this often.