Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
01-22-2020, 06:18 PM - 3 Likes   #6076
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Perhaps "rare" is the wrong word, try "select"....
Or....

Pentax isn't "rare"... Pentax is "well done!"

01-22-2020, 08:14 PM   #6077
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kingman Quote
It seems like the "Pentax Week" DPR videos are somehow trying to make up or suck to Pentaxians. Chris says too often that he (they) really likes Pentax... Have they ever had a Canon or Nikon week? The videos are entertaining but are not telling us what we already now how great we love our Pentax gear. Sounds like an "advertisement" or even an endorsement or a kiss and make up session of some sort. Nevertheless, it's a pleasant to hear them being relatively positive about Pentax this often.
They used to have good unbiased reviews about Pentax during their time in TCSTV. Then they got drunk and started to ridicule Pentax. I still think let them have some booze and we'll see what comes out. If what comes out is positive after the booze then I'd say they're fair. Other than that, it's pure entertainment to me.
01-23-2020, 12:14 AM - 3 Likes   #6078
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Or....

Pentax isn't "rare"... Pentax is "well done!"
But isn't it more like medium rare? Personally I like my Pentax RAW.
01-23-2020, 07:23 AM - 2 Likes   #6079

Several days ago in Walmart, walking past the camera section and overheard a young married couple talking about buying a camera. Husband says to wife: "Of course all they have is Canon and Nikon DSLR's, if you want a Pentax you have to order those online, those are specialty cameras" I almost wrecked the shopping cart looking back at them.....

01-23-2020, 07:33 AM - 2 Likes   #6080
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Trey45 Quote
if you want a Pentax you have to order those online, those are specialty cameras
I take that as a compliment.
01-23-2020, 07:57 AM - 2 Likes   #6081
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Several days ago in Walmart, walking past the camera section and overheard a young married couple talking about buying a camera. Husband says to wife: "Of course all they have is Canon and Nikon DSLR's, if you want a Pentax you have to order those online, those are specialty cameras" I almost wrecked the shopping cart looking back at them.....

They are! After all, even entry level Pentax cameras contain features that sonyfujicanicon deem unnecessary! On the subject of specialized, one new member of Lancaster Photographic society who is also new to photography was guided, by the camera press, into buying a Fuji x100f. And that woman called us speciality......... Unless, she just said special, then sneezed
01-23-2020, 09:45 AM - 2 Likes   #6082
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kingman Quote
It seems like the "Pentax Week" DPR videos are somehow trying to make up or suck to Pentaxians. Chris says too often that he (they) really likes Pentax... Have they ever had a Canon or Nikon week? The videos are entertaining but are not telling us what we already now how great we love our Pentax gear. Sounds like an "advertisement" or even an endorsement or a kiss and make up session of some sort. Nevertheless, it's a pleasant to hear them being relatively positive about Pentax this often.
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Maybe a few more people have heard of Pentax now that DP Review issued a couple of videos about the brand last week, even going as far as to call it "Pentax Week". The videos were entertaining, and Chris Niccols refrained from making snide remarks about our beloved brand. I think he sneakily likes Pentax.
I think the DPR "Pentax week" was a fairly pathetic attempt to try to get back on the right side of the Pentax crowd. It constituted one lens review and one "back in the day" review of what they consider the Pentax landmark cameras, both film and digital. I'd say that two items hardly make it a "Pentax week".

If they really want to do a Pentax week then they could properly review some of the many modern Pentax items they've ignored until now (how about a review of the DA limiteds??) and do a video on just why Pentaxians love the brand so much - what it has that other brands lack etc.

01-23-2020, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #6083
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I think the DPR "Pentax week" was a fairly pathetic attempt to try to get back on the right side of the Pentax crowd. It constituted one lens review and one "back in the day" review of what they consider the Pentax landmark cameras, both film and digital. I'd say that two items hardly make it a "Pentax week".
They put out two videos to their YouTube channel that week, and they were both centered around Pentax. In other weeks they put out 3-4 videos on average, so you could say they adapted their video output for Pentax week to the update schedule of Pentax cameras and lenses in comparison to what other camera manufacturers present...
01-23-2020, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #6084
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Roaming Quote
Pentax cameras are famous for being rugged, sturdy and capable of standing almost any weather condition. There is no doubt why it's the favorite camera of most of the war-journalists

Now there's a niche i have never heard discussed here , what exposure do you use for the apocalypse !
As they used to say about photojournalism: "f/8 and be there."
01-24-2020, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #6085
Pentaxian

Pentax is strictly for Jedi Photographers. We are special people who need specialty cameras.
01-24-2020, 10:31 AM   #6086
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tally of camera makes from my spring photo students:
Digital:
33 Nikon
30 Canon
5 Sony
3 Pentax (2x K50, 1x K70)
2 Olympus

Film:
2 Nikon
1 Contax
1 Rollei
01-24-2020, 10:43 AM   #6087
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Surprised to see so few Sonys and so many Pentaxes
01-24-2020, 10:46 AM   #6088
Veteran Member

This will change quickly when there are a few more old generations out there.
01-24-2020, 10:51 AM   #6089
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
This will change quickly when there are a few more old generations out there.
Was thinking along those lines. A class might mean more hand me down cameras so would be more representative of a few years ago.

A breakdown of the age of cameras would be interesting.
01-24-2020, 11:05 AM   #6090
Site Supporter

Pentax is Not known by the people. They knew canon and Nikon. Brand name is important
Pentax is the best bang for the bucks.