Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2020, 11:16 AM   #6091
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Riddler Quote
Pentax is Not known by the people. They knew canon and Nikon. Brand name is important
Pentax is the best bang for the bucks.
Choosing the right system is not that simple. There is no general answer, thats plain over simplification. IF, for example, you shoot sports mainly sports, Pentax for sure is not the best bang for the buck but propably some used Nikon D500.
If you go for weather robust stills Pentax propably is.
It completly depends on what you shoot.

Last edited by WorksAsIntended; 01-24-2020 at 11:28 AM.
01-24-2020, 11:56 AM - 2 Likes   #6092
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So from the spring photography class that I'm taking, out of 18 out 19 students:
•most don't have a camera or have a point-and-shoot/compact
•a couple have Canons
•some have Nikons, one person has a D600 I think
•one has a Sony A6X00 series
•and I have a Pentax. I thought I heard someone else say Pentax as well but I didn't hear very clearly. I'm also the person with the most lenses and equipment after the professor apparently. Professor's first camera was also a Pentax.
01-24-2020, 12:00 PM   #6093
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
Choosing the right system is not that simple. There is no general answer, thats plain over simplification. IF, for example, you shoot sports mainly sports, Pentax for sure is not the best bang for the buck but propably some used Nikon D500.
If you go for weather robust stills Pentax propably is.
It completly depends on what you shoot.
Fair enough. But Nikon is a lemon lol
01-24-2020, 12:48 PM   #6094
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not sure if you're joking, as you are the Riddler...but I have to give kudos for Nikon making the D500. Compared to the D7200 and D7500, it is a pro level APS-C camera and it sent a message to everyone that they still consider APS-C a viable sensor for the pro. After the last D300 and an absence of D400, Nikon could have just called it quits with the pro level APS-C, but they didn't and I'd like to believe it helps to push Canon and Pentax to compete.

Same with the upcoming Nikon D780. Yes it's a mid-tier FF, but they didn't rest on the forever laurels of the D750. It keeps DSLRs relevant in that price point (like the K-1 II) for those that want but don't need or can't afford the higher end DSLRs.

01-24-2020, 04:53 PM   #6095
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would beg to differ. The D850 is an amazing camera (as was the D810 before it). I sold mine only because I gravitated to 20-24 megapixel cameras and didn't need it any longer. I keep my K-1 for when I absolutely need more pixels, but that is increasingly rarely these days.
01-24-2020, 10:20 PM   #6096
Pentaxian

Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus, Pentax are all good systems. I believe there isn't a bad camera system these days. It's just that our priorities differ and it directs us in choosing a system that fits us.
01-25-2020, 11:44 PM - 1 Like   #6097
Pentaxian

I finally met a fellow Pentaxian whom I became friends in facebook through the Pentaxians group. He's the only KP user I know here in Iloilo. Good to meet another Jedi Pentaxian. May the Pentax force be with us.

01-27-2020, 09:33 AM - 3 Likes   #6098
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I finally met a fellow Pentaxian whom I became friends in facebook through the Pentaxians group. He's the only KP user I know here in Iloilo. Good to meet another Jedi Pentaxian. May the Pentax force be with us.
01-27-2020, 04:21 PM   #6099
Pentaxian

Great MikeyBugs95
01-30-2020, 05:39 PM   #6100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
They used to have good unbiased reviews about Pentax during their time in TCSTV. Then they got drunk and started to ridicule Pentax. I still think let them have some booze and we'll see what comes out. If what comes out is positive after the booze then I'd say they're fair. Other than that, it's pure entertainment to me.

They still seem to like a lot Pentax has to offer. I think they're pretty fair to Pentax. I don't want to be a blind loyalist and I admit Pentax deserves some ridicule for things.

At least they didn't forget Pentax has a new flagship coming like Tony Northup just did in his "upcoming 2020" video
01-30-2020, 10:00 PM   #6101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rumor has it there are two very promising photographers applying for high level mentoring classes this year, both of whom use Pentax 645Z cameras. I have finally seen more than one Canon EOS-R* cameras being used in the studio professionally, I also got a chance to work with it and the new RF 85mm f/1.2L DS lens: I fervently wished I had my optics bench up and running I would love to do a comparison against the Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4, Contax 85mm f/1.2, Leica Summicron-M 90mm f/2 APO and Pentax FA*85mm f/1.4 and see if the Canon lens with a built in apodization filter affects image quality.

* I'll admit I had a WTF moment when I realized the baseplate of the camera is plastic!

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-31-2020 at 12:09 AM.
01-30-2020, 11:56 PM - 1 Like   #6102
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
They still seem to like a lot Pentax has to offer. I think they're pretty fair to Pentax. I don't want to be a blind loyalist and I admit Pentax deserves some ridicule for things.

At least they didn't forget Pentax has a new flagship coming like Tony Northup just did in his "upcoming 2020" video
I don't agree with someone saying they like Pentax and when they're drunk, they start laughing and say they can't believe it's still there making cameras. I don't think liking the brand and laughing and saying they shouldn't making cameras already is of the same tune. I think some of us here have their reasons why they chose Pentax. Some reasons may be fan boyish but others are not. As I've stated maybe on this thread and on the other threads, I'm still a baby when it comes to Pentax. I committed myself into the brand last February 2014 not because of what I've read here but because of my research about the qualities of the brand. The system fits my requirements that other brands can't offer, its ruggedness and the long existence of the k-mount. If Pentax kills the K-mount, I'll move to another system. It's that simple for me.
01-31-2020, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #6103
Veteran Member

I am a well motivated user of Pentax cameras and lenses. I like the build quality of the bodies using a metal lens mount.
A pity some economy Pentax lenses now lost their metal bayonet.

I like the compatibility with older MF lenses. Pentax lenses now being several decades old still give excellent images.
Being lazy used the 17-50 Sigma lens for product shots in the studio. Did not like the results.
Did the work again with the 50/4 MF Macro lens. That did it, excellent images like I am used to.
02-01-2020, 03:35 AM - 1 Like   #6104
Pentaxian

Well the tally from my last photography class is in:
2 Nikon D3X00/D5X00 series
3 Canon tX/tXi series
1 Canon P&S
1 Sony A6X00
1 Canon EOS R with (I think an 85 1.2 but I'm not sure)
1 unknown P&S
1 camcorder (he's going to have a LOT of fun in a still photography class)
1 with no camera yet
4 with an unknown or unconfirmed camera (because I didn't see them with a camera or couldn't see what they have)
And myself with the lone Pentax in the class.
02-01-2020, 04:46 PM   #6105
Veteran Member

Well done Mike!
At least you saved the Pentax honor.
Will be an interesting class with a guy trying to do stills with a camcorder.

It looks like telling young people about the days we played vinyl records.
Some youngsters do not know there are also cameras instead of mobile phones to take pictures.