Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2020, 03:36 PM   #6151
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Darn I missed hasselblad. Ok. But yea 2 Fujis. So hasselblad and. Lieca ate more rare.
I bought a Leica yesterday--actually three of them--all in my Huawei Note Pro 20!

While I bought it for the oversize battery, I must say the cameras are pretty darned good! (though not Pentax DSLR good, of course)

Last edited by jgnfld; 02-16-2020 at 03:43 PM.
02-17-2020, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #6152
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I did raise this point light heartedly in passing a few posts ago : but seriously, are we any more rare than users of Fuji, Leica and Hasselblad ?

BTW, I've just been to Fuji's website and it's awful. "Glossy" pictures of cameras, but difficult to find hard info - pages very slow to load and I had to get past Firefox flagging up dire security warnings about the site. They also popped up over my screen a demand that I join their mailing list. I gave up. So I tried "Fuji Cameras" in Wikipedia and surprisingly there is no such page, although there is one on "Fujifilm X-Mount" which does then have links to pages on particular cameras. And they say that Pentax publicity is bad

Wikipedia does have a page on "Pentax Cameras", and further pages on particular models (not all); I have contributed parts of them.
02-18-2020, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #6153
Pentaxian

I'd say Fujifilm cameras are more common than Pentax.

I went to the Fujifilm global website and clicked through to the X-system page and it all looks good. One easy-closed request to join their mailing list and no other pop-ups (on Chrome). I'd say it's a well-organised and good-looking site.
02-18-2020, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #6154
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Fujis are substantially more common than Pentaxes - at least 4 or 5 times more common from what I've seen.

On that note, I just came back from two weeks in India (both North and South! Expect some of the 1600 shots to make their way to the Critique and PYP sections soonTM. The vast majority of cameras, as usual, were small DSLRs (This time, I have the feeling I saw more Nikons than Canons, but still obviously entry-level, kit-lens-equipped cameras from both sides). On some of the usual picturesque spots, a bunch of substantially sized gear, again mostly Canikon, from both Indians and obvious foreigners. I did spot some obvious tourists (both European/white Americans or East Asian) with small MILCs including a Japanese couple with expensive Fujis - he had I think an XT-3 and she had some X-Pro series. My Pentax: lonely, but more than up to the task. My M20/4 was also very happy to show that it's not old but vintage, and that the only AF you need is f/8 and the focus ring set to infinity

I also saw a German-speaking tourist with a GFX 50 taking some sunset pics* from the beach, but I wasn't afraid to get my camera a bit closer to the water with the K-1's moon lander screen and I think I got the better framing

*Those tropical sunsets are downright magical. Again, expect some photos to appear in the relevant sections.

02-23-2020, 01:06 PM - 2 Likes   #6155
Veteran Member

Pentax rare? Sure, I like it that way.

Hasselblad camera's are not so rare in my area. I own over 30 of them
03-01-2020, 04:04 AM   #6156
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fluegel Quote
Pentax rare? Sure, I like it that way.

Hasselblad camera's are not so rare in my area. I own over 30 of them
Wow!!! That would be a major investment here in my part if the woods.
03-01-2020, 05:55 AM   #6157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All digital cameras are now rare for amateur use. Not so long ago, going to anywhere with even a small tourist interest would result in one seeing plenty of people carrying a digital camera. Not so nowadays. My last visit to a major tourist hotspot (Rome 2017) I actually saw more film cameras (3 including mine) being used than digital ones (2 including my partners). Since then this trend has continued with the number of film and digital cameras being more or less equal, but very few and far between, unless one goes to a specific location or event, when Canikon dominates.
This sad situation led me to fear for the continuation of Pentax cameras, but I am more positive nowadays. Three of my relatively close camera shops stock Pentax, and although the offerings from the other manufacturers are more readily available, they seem to have spent a lot of resources on minor technical improvements (and some backwards steps, Nikon I am looking at you) which have not resulted in any improvements in profits or sales. Although I would like to see an upgrade to my K3, I am really quite pleased that it has remained relevant and reliable over the years, with plenty of life left in it. I just wish although it has not been upgraded since the K3ii they had continued to produce the model or its successor for new sales. With the K1,KP and K70 though, the range although limited provides all that the enthusiast, if not the professional needs. Had I bought a Nikon D7200 (it was a contender) at the time I purchased the K3, I would be very disappointed with their current new offerings.

03-01-2020, 08:30 AM   #6158
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Absolutely not in my experience, there is always a swarm of cheap DSLRs at all tourist spots, and maybe one or two out of several dozens has a film camera.
03-01-2020, 09:00 AM   #6159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
All digital cameras are now rare for amateur use. Not so long ago, going to anywhere with even a small tourist interest would result in one seeing plenty of people carrying a digital camera. Not so nowadays. My last visit to a major tourist hotspot (Rome 2017) I actually saw more film cameras (3 including mine) being used than digital ones (2 including my partners). Since then this trend has continued with the number of film and digital cameras being more or less equal, but very few and far between, unless one goes to a specific location or event, when Canikon dominates.
In my experience I see a swarm of phones, but a fair number of DSLRs and mirrorless cameras. I can't remember seeing a film camera in many, many years. Not that I'm specifically looking, usually, but I've never noticed one in decades.

At events at school there will be several hundred parents there. I'll see six, eight, maybe 10 DSLRs, mirrorless, and a few bridge cameras. Again, never saw a single film camera.
03-01-2020, 09:24 AM   #6160
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
In my experience I see a swarm of phones, but a fair number of DSLRs and mirrorless cameras. I can't remember seeing a film camera in many, many years. Not that I'm specifically looking, usually, but I've never noticed one in decades.

At events at school there will be several hundred parents there. I'll see six, eight, maybe 10 DSLRs, mirrorless, and a few bridge cameras. Again, never saw a single film camera.
IN the park, I saw my first one in 10 years a couple days ago. An old Nikkormat with a kit lens. I thought I saw second a few days later but it was an Olympus. Apparently film isn't popular among the wildlife crowd.

More popular among the snapshot crowd I'm guessing. Although I did see a 4x5 view camera set up in the park a few years ago. SO still popular among the "super high resolution" crowd.

Everyone sees lots of other cameras, cameras for the most part that are incapable of doing what I do.

Last edited by normhead; 03-01-2020 at 09:55 AM.
03-01-2020, 11:43 AM - 2 Likes   #6161
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Wow!!! That would be a major investment here in my part if the woods.
Buying cameras is one thing. Buying Carl Zeiss and Kodak lenses is another thing. There are simply too many of them.
Expanding into NASA spec gear is the limit. I own two lenses especially built by Carl Zeiss for NASA.
The nice thing about those lenses is they also function quite well on earth. I use them from time to time.
03-15-2020, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #6162
Pentaxian

I was exploring Flickr (although I don't use it myself) and found this table of camera popularity. It seems that Pentax don't do as well as they should because their numbers are split between "Ricoh" and "Pentax". The former includes things like the K-1 and K-3, the latter the K-5 and K-50, so the split seems arbitrary. It seems that these brand names are picked up from the exif data of the pictures.

It seems by co-incidence that these two lie next to each other in the rankings, which implies that Pentax would score about twice as much if these two categories were combined - or am I reading this wrongly?

TBH I don't understand by what criterion the "Rank" is determined. Number of pictures uploaded or number of users of those cameras? One thing is clear, Apple phones win hands down.

03-15-2020, 12:48 PM   #6163
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
It seems that Pentax don't do as well as they should because their numbers are split between "Ricoh" and "Pentax". The former includes things like the K-1 and K-3, the latter the K-5 and K-50, so the split seems arbitrary. It seems that these brand names are picked up from the exif data of the pictures.
Not to mention the ks1,2, k70, and kp are not even listed.
04-01-2020, 02:02 AM - 2 Likes   #6164
Pentaxian

In a recent YouTube vlog, Kai W is wearing a "Pentax" cap. Where did he get that from?

In the video he describes Pentax as "not trying to be cool" and is therefore so uncool that it's actually cool! But in his tongue-in-cheek approach I think it is all good publicity. I believe he really likes Pentax cameras, partly because they are more robust than most. He values and tests that, in other videos he tortures cameras - he has had blowlamps on them before now, and he had a K-1 under a bathroom shower and found that it still worked afterwards.

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 04-01-2020 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Tpyo
04-01-2020, 10:55 AM   #6165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
In a recent YouTube vlog, Kai W is wearing a "Pentax" cap. Where did he get that from?
Pentax Hat - Ricoh

It's possible that he didn't buy it and it was given to him by someone in the large Pentax marketing army