Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
05-24-2020, 06:37 PM   #6181
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fluegel Quote
I bought the first digital back offered by Hasselblad in 1985. That is way ahead of other manufacturers.
You mention Kodak in connection with Hasselblad. Hasselblad did not work with Kodak although Kodak offered a DB suitable for Hasselblad 500 series cameras in the early days of digital imaging.
When I wrote "and that it was part of" I was referring to the Leaf DCBI (aka Phase One) back and that it was three years before the Kodak released DSLRs. I did not intend to infer that there was a Kodak-Hasselblad liaison. Although both companies were pioneers in their day, their mission statements were polar opposites.

Sort of like Canon and Pentax. A non-Pentaxian could argue more similarities than differences, but I think a Pentaxian could list more differences.

05-25-2020, 02:17 AM - 3 Likes   #6182
Veteran Member

Different times after Mr. Victor Hasselblad sold the company to a Swedish investment company.
He sold Hasselblad to ensure a safe future for it.
The investment company decided to sell Hasselblad several years later because it did not fit in with their other activities.

The family Hasselblad were long time importers of Kodak products for Scandinavia.
Victor was send to Kodak in the USA to be educated about photography.
After WW II he decided to order lenses from Kodak for his first produced camera the 1600F.
There was an almost lifelong relationship between Hasselblad and Kodak. That came to an end after Victor left the company and died.
05-25-2020, 07:51 AM   #6183
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fluegel Quote
Different times after Mr. Victor Hasselblad sold the company to a Swedish investment company.
He sold Hasselblad to ensure a safe future for it.
The investment company decided to sell Hasselblad several years later because it did not fit in with their other activities.

The family Hasselblad were long time importers of Kodak products for Scandinavia.
Victor was send to Kodak in the USA to be educated about photography.
After WW II he decided to order lenses from Kodak for his first produced camera the 1600F.
There was an almost lifelong relationship between Hasselblad and Kodak. That came to an end after Victor left the company and died.
Thanks for this interesting look into camera history.
06-15-2020, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #6184
maw
Pentaxian

I was looking and for youtube by chance this page appeared to me.
I was surprised, not because the summer camps for budding youtubers cost $1000,
but for the image that was accidentally used.....very funny.

Campi estivi per aspiranti Youtuber, ecco dove i genitori mandano figli

06-15-2020, 10:02 PM   #6185
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote

Someone at the camp, or at least the photographer that took that shot, should teach the kids how to hold a DSLR correctly.
Pentax puts a lot of effort into their designed ergonomics.
06-15-2020, 10:16 PM   #6186
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

The lens looks like a Sigma 10-20. It's good to see Pentax being advertised in a candid way.
06-15-2020, 11:48 PM   #6187

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The X- system lenses are very good. I still have my X-T1 and five lenses. I don't deal really well with electronic viewfinders yet, but they are close. The X-T3 in it's jackrabbit mode is pretty well there for me, but the battery consumption is quite high.
This is what I miss the most moving from Fuji to Pentax - the lenses. The 56/1.2, 16/1.4 and 35/1.4 are just amazing and are really not that expensive - I had a really good kit second hand, and to be honest, for the sharpness they provide (wide open), I can't see any similar Pentax lens coming close in that same budget range.

06-16-2020, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #6188
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Someone at the camp, or at least the photographer that took that shot, should teach the kids how to hold a DSLR correctly.
Pentax puts a lot of effort into their designed ergonomics.
As long as they're not holding it for a vertical shot with the grip at the bottom I'm happy. That makes me cringe.

QuoteOriginally posted by HDpotato Quote
This is what I miss the most moving from Fuji to Pentax - the lenses. The 56/1.2, 16/1.4 and 35/1.4 are just amazing and are really not that expensive - I had a really good kit second hand, and to be honest, for the sharpness they provide (wide open), I can't see any similar Pentax lens coming close in that same budget range.
I started using Fujifilm for a small, light-weight alternative when I didn't want to carry a DSLR around, but I stay for the lenses. Pentax offers nothing like them, and neither does anyone else: small, fast, sharp, solid, fantastic rendering, aperture rings, (mostly) reasonably priced. There's nothing not to like.
06-16-2020, 02:47 AM   #6189
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
As long as they're not holding it for a vertical shot with the grip at the bottom I'm happy. That makes me cringe.
DSLRs are designed for using the optical viewfinder with your right eye....and there are a lot of photogs that are natural left eye shooters. So my guess is that anyone shooting vertical with the grip at the bottom is probably left eyed, which makes sense for them.
06-16-2020, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #6190
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes we are rare but I don't care, I am proud of being a Pentaxian and "they" are the ones missing out 😉
06-16-2020, 08:34 AM - 4 Likes   #6191
Forum Member

Interesting case

In February I attended a scientific conference in São Paulo. A pro Nikon-shooter was always with us. During breaks we hurried to get out to have a cigarette but due to his limited knowledge of English our conversations were short… On the last day we attended a sightseeing tour. I had my K-5 IIs with me. He smiled at me and said: “PENTAX! Very good!”

Last edited by Alfie; 06-16-2020 at 08:35 AM. Reason: typo
06-16-2020, 09:07 AM - 2 Likes   #6192
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was looking and for youtube by chance this page appeared to me.I was surprised ...... for the image that was accidentally used
Something I do when the mood takes me is some subtle Pentax evangelising, by adding Pentax into examples on Wikipedia. I do some Wikipedia editing anyway on various subjects, and when it comes to photography I notice that Pentax is often forgotten in, for example, lists of DSLRs that use a particular technology. I don't delete any references to other brands, as that would be vandalism, but I add Pentax alongside them.
I have tried to add pictures of Pentax kit to some articles, but they were rejected with messages that Wikipedia did not believe I had copyright to them But I took the pictures myself!
06-16-2020, 09:59 AM   #6193

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
I think in this regard we Pentaxians have a small problem: our used market (at least the one for older, manual lenses) also attracts the mirrorless crowd who want to adapt "our" old lenses because of their availability, pricing and quality.
Why not? It's a natural fit. Older Pentax lenses on my Olympus M5/M1 bodies perform with amazing spectacular results! I can't see the desire to mount old Pentax lenses on a CaNikon. At night, if you need to stop them down past say, 2.8 the finder starts getting very dark and you've no idea what's really in focus and isn't. Stop them down further and you're looking into a black finder.

Use the same lenses on my Olympuses and the finder is kept at a "normal" brightness as you stop down your lens. With focus peaking there's no guessing what's in focus and it's easy to assign a button to get the camera to show the final exposure before you fire the shutter. Once you get the hang of it there's very little reason for OOF shots or composition you didn't intend.

It doesn't hurt I can also use these same marvelous vintage Pentax lenses on my K-50
06-16-2020, 11:52 AM - 3 Likes   #6194
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Something I do when the mood takes me is some subtle Pentax evangelising, by adding Pentax into examples on Wikipedia. I do some Wikipedia editing anyway on various subjects, and when it comes to photography I notice that Pentax is often forgotten in, for example, lists of DSLRs that use a particular technology. I don't delete any references to other brands, as that would be vandalism, but I add Pentax alongside them.
I have tried to add pictures of Pentax kit to some articles, but they were rejected with messages that Wikipedia did not believe I had copyright to them But I took the pictures myself!
If removing other brands would be vandalism, adding Pentax must be graffiti.
06-16-2020, 01:02 PM   #6195
Veteran Member

Well that is about the best graffiti I have ever seen.
The fact that more people buy canikons does not make those cameras better cameras.

Look at the automotive industry, look at the beverage companies. They all depend strongly on advertising.
Beer companies do not sell more beer because they advertise. They need to advertise to keep their market share.

Pentax does not advertise much. One of the reasons Pentax lost market share.
In the days of film Pentax was a highly respected camera manufacturer with excellent lenses.
Even now many of those lenses are sought after.

I feel quite comfortable using my Pentax cameras.
If ever I want to impress others I simply show them an old Hasselblad camera.
Happy to admit I am long past that stage.
Quite happy to use the flagship of older Pentax DSLR bodies. The K10d is my favorite camera.