Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2020, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #6271
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Pentax is in the game and their gear is already much better than me, so I don't worry much about others "doing it better". If that were to change, my preference would be Fuji because of their nice small primes, but the EVF means I'd probably go with Nikon because the layout is more comfortable than Canon?

If Pentax left the stage, I'd be in big trouble. Idea Pentax has something from my 15-year-old beloved subaru. I've been driving it for the tenth year, I have to repair it more and more often, but I can't find a car that could replace my subaru, if you know what I'm thinking about.

07-09-2020, 02:26 PM - 5 Likes   #6272
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax is not so rare after all. Check out the nice looking camera in the background of the photo in this linked article.

U.S. judge hearing Flynn case asks appeals court to reconsider dismissal
07-09-2020, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #6273
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
Pentax is not so rare after all..
Officially, Pentax involved in the Flynn case.
07-10-2020, 04:24 AM   #6274

Just got back from an afternoon of whale watching and I counted 3 Pentax DSLR (K5, K3 & my KP), 2 Nikon DSLR & 1 Sony DSLM. Not a Canon in sight.
And at a 5:1 ratio it doesn’t look like mirrorless is taking over anything.

Last edited by DeKay; 07-10-2020 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Typo
07-10-2020, 05:03 AM - 2 Likes   #6275
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax is not so rare after all. Check out the nice looking camera in the background of the photo in this linked article.

U.S. judge hearing Flynn case asks appeals court to reconsider dismissal
That's an APS-C K-3 with a 10-17mm fisheye, isn't it?! Wow. Pentax, part of the deep state.
07-10-2020, 08:34 PM - 2 Likes   #6276
Veteran Member

I was hosting a work on-line presentation, you know the sort of thing where your mugshot is displayed along with everyone else to show who is in the meeting.

Anyway, everyone else seems to have very nicely taken images of themselves on holiday or all dressed up, and I have my company ID card photo. Before the meeting started for real I was joking that I needed to update my photo, and got several text comments back from colleagues about how it was unlikely that anyone could use post processing that much to make me presentable, and a small side discussion broke out about what type of lens to use.

One bloke typed that he had a great lens, an F1.4 something or other that he could let me have cheap. I asked him what mount, and I got the one letter response "K".

Turns out he has some old Pentax gear, but prefers Olympus.
07-11-2020, 07:08 PM   #6277

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
That's an APS-C K-3 with a 10-17mm fisheye, isn't it?! Wow. Pentax, part of the deep state.
I saw that...looks like what you said. I have exactly those items and a lot more!

07-11-2020, 09:10 PM   #6278
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Perhaps the chap with the Pentax camera is a forum member, and could share his shot of Flynn. It would be an incredibly difficult shot for me to hold the camera north of my center of gravity and shoot down without looking through a viewfinder, but that's me, and we have other more talented photographers here.
07-11-2020, 09:13 PM   #6279
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For those who did not click the link, here is the photo. I am claiming this is fair use, no profit, and attribution.
Attached Images

07-12-2020, 03:38 AM   #6280
Pentaxian

For those who did not click the link, here is the photo. I am claiming this is fair use, no profit, and attribution.
Nice shot. It also shows another Pentaxian though he/she couldn't be identified.
07-12-2020, 04:53 AM   #6281

QuoteOriginally posted by Fotus Tuus Quote
If Pentax left the stage, I'd be in big trouble. Idea Pentax has something from my 15-year-old beloved subaru. I've been driving it for the tenth year, I have to repair it more and more often, but I can't find a car that could replace my subaru, if you know what I'm thinking about.
Ha! Same here. I'm on my second Subaru. Drove my first (used 1998 model I got in 2007) for 9 years and gave it to my son, who just sold it. And he bought another Subaru.

My first DSLR was a Pentax, my second one is, and my soon-to-be third one is going to be.

I guess we Pentaxians are cult-like, just like the Subie owners. LOL. Once you have one, you never look back. Be interesting to know how many others there are like us. One of the reasons I love Pentax is the build quality and toughness, just like Subaru.
07-12-2020, 05:02 AM - 2 Likes   #6282
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amc654 Quote
Ha! Same here. I'm on my second Subaru. Drove my first (used 1998 model I got in 2007) for 9 years and gave it to my son, who just sold it. And he bought another Subaru.

My first DSLR was a Pentax, my second one is, and my soon-to-be third one is going to be.

I guess we Pentaxians are cult-like, just like the Subie owners. LOL. Once you have one, you never look back. Be interesting to know how many others there are like us. One of the reasons I love Pentax is the build quality and toughness, just like Subaru.
You may be able to steal a Pentax from my hands, but you will never steal it from my heart
07-12-2020, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #6283
Pentaxian

As I've said in other threads, I'm new to Pentax. I just got into the system in 2014. I used to be a Canikon user during the film days. If I chose Nikon after Olympus dropped 4/3, I'm also going to stay with it or whatever brand I chose. Fortunately I chose Pentax and never regretted it. I hope they keep the k-mount alive. I don't see any reason in changing despite being rare. A Pentax Jedi is always rare.
07-12-2020, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #6284
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got into Pentax DSLrs in 2015. At the time it had to be either Pentax or Nikon because of my legacy glass. Nikon cameras available then, despite better AF , for me sucked compared to Pentax. Pentax had, and still does have, better ergos and functionality, when compared to Nikon. Since then I have acquired a D610 for my F mount glass. IQ is superb but camera is not very nice to use. I am looking for a replacement for it, but the D750 did not appeal in 2015, and still does not, the D780 looks like it would suit my needs, since it looks like Nikon have finally caught up with functionality, but it is way too expensive at present, so I am still left with my ugly, clunky D610 or maybe I should spring for a Df. But for the same money I can get a nearly new K1 mark II. I will probably go for the Df because I want to use the F mount glass more, but that K1 mkII is soooo tempting!
07-12-2020, 11:35 AM   #6285
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
I have acquired a D610 for my F mount glass. IQ is superb but camera is not very nice to use. I am looking for a replacement for it, but the D750 did not appeal in 2015, and still does not, the D780 looks like it would suit my needs, since it looks like Nikon have finally caught up with functionality, but it is way too expensive at present, so I am still left with my ugly, clunky D610 or maybe I should spring for a Df. But for the same money I can get a nearly new K1 mark II.
I am a two system photographer (Nikon & Pentax) and appreciate the merits of using both. Both the D610 & Df were released in 2013. The D610 is a 24MP FF sleeper because of the entry level pricing, whereas the 16MP Df....is an overpriced beautiful looking camera. Yes, the retro knobs and material finishes are more to my taste, but if the IQ on the D610 is "superb", the real IQ upgrade for a $1000 less than the Df would be a 36MP Nikon D810 (2014).

But for the same price as a D810, the 36MP Pentax K1-II (2018) has way more features (pixel shift, IBIS, astrotracer, articulating screen, etc.). The only advantage of the Df would be legacy Nikkor lenses that match the 16MP sensor better than a 36MP sensor.