Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2020, 12:29 PM   #6286
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I am a two system photographer (Nikon & Pentax) and appreciate the merits of using both. Both the D610 & Df were released in 2013. The D610 is a 24MP FF sleeper because of the entry level pricing, whereas the 16MP Df....is an overpriced beautiful looking camera. Yes, the retro knobs and material finishes are more to my taste, but if the IQ on the D610 is "superb", the real IQ upgrade for a $1000 less than the Df would be a 36MP Nikon D810 (2014).

But for the same price as a D810, the 36MP Pentax K1-II (2018) has way more features (pixel shift, IBIS, astrotracer, articulating screen, etc.). The only advantage of the Df would be legacy Nikkor lenses that match the 16MP sensor better than a 36MP sensor.
I think we are straying off topic a bit here, but I agree with your analysis. The Df appeals as a walk around camera for use with a selection of small primes. My D610 does not get much use due to its bulk and I do not like its functionality. When I do use it its usually at base ISO bolted to a tripod for these reasons. The D810 would be no improvement in this regard. The K1 represents better value than either of them to me, would be very nice indeed and in pure image terms would offer me something new, but it would not solve my F mount problem. As an aside I use either my K3, KP, Fuji XT1 or one of my many film bodies as a walk around camera, so I am not sure a K1 would get much use for this purpose due to its not inconsiderable bulk,but it would be come my landscape tool of choice.

07-16-2020, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #6287
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amc654 Quote
Ha! Same here. I'm on my second Subaru. Drove my first (used 1998 model I got in 2007) for 9 years and gave it to my son, who just sold it. And he bought another Subaru.

My first DSLR was a Pentax, my second one is, and my soon-to-be third one is going to be.

I guess we Pentaxians are cult-like, just like the Subie owners. LOL. Once you have one, you never look back. Be interesting to know how many others there are like us. One of the reasons I love Pentax is the build quality and toughness, just like Subaru.
Yes! I have to admit that in creating both Subaru and Pentax our Japanese brothers have achieved a completely unique mastery that simply delights and ... makes you addicted. Ann - you know and I congratulate you and your relatives very much (but also I feel sorry for this misunderstanding by our people of our specific state of mind, which I think has little to do with pride or lust of things. If you still know what I'm talking about
07-16-2020, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #6288
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by devouges Quote
You may be able to steal a Pentax from my hands, but you will never steal it from my heart
Yes, yes, yes!
07-29-2020, 11:56 PM   #6289
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by devouges Quote
You may be able to steal a Pentax from my hands, but you will never steal it from my heart
Thank you, there is a new poet amongst us. ❤️😊❤️

07-30-2020, 12:09 AM - 4 Likes   #6290
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Collected my K3 from Bradford Camera Exchange*, following its sensor clean, Tuesday. Wonderful shop. The only new digital cameras they stock are K1 mkII's and K70's, together with some Panasonic compact ones. The rest of the stock is an Alladin's Cave of used film and digital cameras. lenses and other gear. When handing back the K3 to me, the proprietress said "It is always nice to see and hold a Pentax. They feel so such better than the plastic stuff from Canon and Nikon". A woman after my own heart!

*Plug for UK residents. BCE is situated on Northgate, Bradford, W. Yorks. They also offer an excellent and affordable film processing, printing and scanning service.
07-31-2020, 02:40 PM   #6291
Veteran Member

Sad to read my favorite processing and printing shop is closing its doors for good after 34 years of service.
Due to the age of the owner and considerably less volume.

Last edited by Fluegel; 08-02-2020 at 09:11 AM.
07-31-2020, 07:41 PM   #6292
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Visited a large camera store in Queen St, Auckland last week to get some more film and while cruising some of the merchandise noticed that next to the camera straps and slides and related goods there was hanging a familiar SLR camera body and lens on a strap for demonstration purposes. Honeywell H3a - I commented to the proprieter on his choice of demonstrator and got the cryptoic - "yeah, people enjoy it... "
Say no more!

08-01-2020, 08:43 AM   #6293

QuoteOriginally posted by Fluegel Quote
Said to read my favorite processing and printing shop is closing its doors for good after 34 years of service.
Due to the age of the owner and considerably less volume.
It's sad to see these independent shops go out of business. Fortunately, we still have one left in my area, a camera sales and repair shop with processing and printing services. When I was in there the other day, they were really busy. I was glad to see that.
08-02-2020, 04:23 AM - 1 Like   #6294
Pentaxian

The first death of independent shops here was during the arrival of big department stores carrying almost everything. Brick and mortar stores survive by carrying some specialty products that department store aren't carrying. Now in the malls, I believe brick and mortar stores will be killed due to low sales and high rent. With this COVID-19 crisis, there are only a few people going into the malls. Plus cellphones are the ones that have taken over point and shoot photographers. These people believe they no longer need cameras. Sad to see photography being moved to such category. ��
08-10-2020, 08:43 PM - 3 Likes   #6295
Veteran Member

While taking my K-70 and DA 18-135mm to Salmon Creek Falls, CA (central coast), I ran into... another Pentaxian. Sounded Australian. I spotted what looked like a manual screwmount lens on his camera in the creek.
He looked over and asked if that was a 'real' Pentax. Its possible that he hadn't seen one since film days. Interestingly enough it was enough for him to take out a 645N into the creek.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
08-11-2020, 02:44 AM - 2 Likes   #6296
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

doing my best to increase the number:

sending my KP up to my son and his wife

( her dad uses Nikon )

now they have to research lenses

I think I'll lend them my DA 16-85mm

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-11-2020 at 04:48 AM.
08-11-2020, 03:35 AM   #6297
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I think I'll lend them a DA 16-85mm
Excellent choice of lens!
08-11-2020, 07:08 AM   #6298
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What will you be using instead, Allen?
08-11-2020, 07:28 AM   #6299
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

seriously

oh, I have a few to choose from

dslr

flim

and lenses

[ my wife has been very accommodating and I have found some good deals on " experienced " and new equipment ]

check my profile " about me " section if interested in seeing the choices

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-11-2020 at 07:38 AM.
08-11-2020, 03:30 PM   #6300
Veteran Member

My efforts to convince the lady owner of a Fuji point and shoot camera to look for a Pentax DSLR as a follow did not bring the wanted result yet.
I tried to persuade her to look for a nice K10d body with 18-55 zoom lens. May hope she is not affected yet by the trend to go for large MP cameras.