Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2020, 12:56 AM - 1 Like   #6316
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
While I admit that I have only owned three Pentax bodies, I have never seen one with a mechanical auto focus drive. My first body (P30) didn't have autofocus, my K100d did but was electrical as is my K3. I had to go back and double check my K3 body and you are correct, there does appear to be a small screw blade on the lens mount ring, I never notice that or had reason to use it.
From your sig I am pretty sure that none of your lenses have motors and are all screw drive.

10-16-2020, 07:31 AM   #6317
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cometguy Quote
I found this analysis that suggests that a fine 35-mm film will give the same resolution as about 156 Mpx in a digital full-frame camera:
I STILL SHOOT FILM - The Real Resolution of Film vs. Digital
I have shot film from the early 80's onwards. Up until 2012,with the purchase of my first "proper" digital, a Fuji X100, I was never impressed with the quality of digital images. There was just something"off" about them. Since then I have continued to shoot both film and digital. what I have noticed however, is that whenever I have had a slide or negative digitised, it just does not come close to the resolution of the original. I have shot the same subject at the same time with a 35mm slide and an APSc camera an a few occasions, and when one looks at the projected slide at about about 48"X36" it looks fine and sharp, but when it is digitised the details become fuzzy. I have tried both professional scans and copying onto my K3 via a macro lens.
The quoted article part solves the problem as to why for me. That being said though, I no longer use film for my "serious" stuff, unless it is for travel* or I go the whole hog and do medium format, as the all round IQ of digital and its versatility, to say nothing of the escalating cost of quality slide film, and ease of which one can experiment or just snap away for fun, without running up a huge bill beats using film into a cocked hat!

*I love to use film for my travel photos as I find it has certain advantages over digital :-
1. I usually travel with my better half and she hates it if I am constantly fiddling with my camera, so for me film is more sociable.
2. Its great to have to wait to see one images. Its a chance to relive your holiday all over again.
3. I like the fact I have real hard copies of images of some of the best times of my life.
10-16-2020, 07:42 AM   #6318
Pentaxian

While I admit that I have only owned three Pentax bodies, I have never seen one with a mechanical auto focus drive. My first body (P30) didn't have autofocus, my K100d did but was electrical as is my K3. I had to go back and double check my K3 body and you are correct, there does appear to be a small screw blade on the lens mount ring, I never notice that or had reason to use it.
If you hear a whir when he camera focuses it's mechanical.

QuoteQuote:
there does appear to be a small screw blade on the lens mount ring, I never notice that or had reason to use it.
If it's a screw drive lens (like the 50-200) is mounted on the camera, you use it every time you use the lens. it is auto-activated. No user input or selection is required.
10-16-2020, 12:54 PM   #6319

QuoteOriginally posted by Fotus Tuus Quote
Yes! I have to admit that in creating both Subaru and Pentax our Japanese brothers have achieved a completely unique mastery that simply delights and ... makes you addicted. Ann - you know and I congratulate you and your relatives very much (but also I feel sorry for this misunderstanding by our people of our specific state of mind, which I think has little to do with pride or lust of things. If you still know what I'm talking about
CAUTION: We were going on our fifth Subie and just as addicted to them as to Pentax cameras. Still love my cameras, but the Subies have problems that management won't own. My husband and I were almost killed when our 2007 Outback developed a rare but very dangerous problem with the rear differential that causes the back wheels to go faster than t he front wheels. Suddenly it darted into the wrong lane in front of a truck. Husband managed to tweak it back into its lane, but then it spun out into a tree. It was at night, and with broken headlights, we were T-boned by an oncoming truck. Turns out a representative number of Subaru Outbacks from 2006 to 2010 had that problem and Subaru ignored it. There's a long discussion about it on line and repeated requests for help were ignored (for everybody) by Subaru central. Hopefully these cars will be off the road soon, so nobody will be further damaged. Just a note to warn people, as Subaru wouldn't recall them--wouldn't want to hurt sales!

10-16-2020, 01:16 PM   #6320
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barefootdesigns Quote
CAUTION: We were going on our fifth Subie and just as addicted to them as to Pentax cameras. Still love my cameras, but the Subies have problems that management won't own. My husband and I were almost killed when our 2007 Outback developed a rare but very dangerous problem with the rear differential that causes the back wheels to go faster than t he front wheels. Suddenly it darted into the wrong lane in front of a truck. Husband managed to tweak it back into its lane, but then it spun out into a tree. It was at night, and with broken headlights, we were T-boned by an oncoming truck. Turns out a representative number of Subaru Outbacks from 2006 to 2010 had that problem and Subaru ignored it. There's a long discussion about it on line and repeated requests for help were ignored (for everybody) by Subaru central. Hopefully these cars will be off the road soon, so nobody will be further damaged. Just a note to warn people, as Subaru wouldn't recall them--wouldn't want to hurt sales!
I'm glad that everything is ok with you and everything (almost) ended well. Well, it's pretty scary what you write. I have never had any similar problems with my Subaru Impreza. Well, the Subaru / Pentax comparison was probably not worth mentioning. After all, with Pentax you never risk losing your life. My greetings to you!
10-16-2020, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #6321
Pentaxian

I never notice that or had reason to use it.
Looking at your lens list in your signature you have the DA50-200 - it is screw drive for one. So efficient is the system you have not had cause to notice.
10-16-2020, 03:21 PM   #6322
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
I have yet to but a DSLR camera in a store. The only SLR I bought in a camera store was my original Petri FT, and that was in a ship's store while on a Mediterranean Cruise with the U.S. Navy. I did buy a Petri FTEE and a Pentax K1000 (film) in a sort of camera store/pawn shop. I know I want a Pentax so I shop online for what I want, knowing the chance of finding a Pentax in a store front is very slim.
I was reading through this very very long thread, as I'm relatively new to this forum, and I came across this message from a couple years ago. It made me think about how I got into Pentax precisely because they were being sold in a local department store my first year after college, and I couldn't afford a more expensive SLR than the K1000, but I knew from having played with my Mom's old 1950s-era Kodak rangefinder camera with split-level focusing screen that I wanted to try an SLR with interchangeable lenses. (Oh, and I bought a second K1000 for my girlfriend, who got into photography because of my use of my K1000, and we dabbled extensively with rental Pentax 6x7 cameras with medium-format film, developing a fair amount of b&w film in the darkroom -- again because, well, Pentax). I bought a few cheap lenses back then in the 1980s for my K1000 for my travel photography and my astrophotography, and then I progressed to the PZ-1 and the LX. The PZ-1 was also displayed at one of my local department stores and at camera stores, and I bought it again for that reason. I think that I bought the LX from either a dedicated camera store in person in the Boston area (possibly Hunt's) or from B&H (after I started subscribing to monthly photo magazines including Shutterbug and Popular Photography). I do not know if I'd get into Pentax if I was in a similar situation today and graduating now from college and getting my first full-time job with some more money to spend -- both because of smartphone cameras (and the different mentality/focus of young adults today) and because Pentax just isn't really visible to most people except online (and then you have to stumble onto it).

So, I'm naturally curious as to how many forum members here got into Pentax cameras because -- like me -- they were exposed to them in stores, vs. knowing or meeting somebody with Pentax cameras, vs. just reading about them, vs. having them come up in a search online of cameras to potentially buy. And another question that occurs to me, as I read this particular thread here, is whether there have been any routine (or even sporadic) Pentax conferences -- on a regional, national, or international level -- that enthusiasts have attended (and can attend -- after Covid19 has run its course).

Last edited by cometguy; 10-16-2020 at 04:42 PM.
10-16-2020, 04:18 PM   #6323
Pentaxian

I'm naturally curious as to how many forum members here got into Pentax cameras because -- like me -- they were exposed to them in stores, vs. knowing or meeting somebody with Pentax cameras, vs. just reading about them, vs. having them come up in a search online of cameras to potentially buy.
I bought my first SLR, a Pentax, before the internet, so the last option did not exist. But I did extensive research of reviews in photo mags, accompanied by visits to shops to see them, over a period of several weeks. I would not have bought a camera I could not have seen first. I did buy my present DSLR without seeing it but I know a lot more about the subject now, and I would only buy Pentax now anyway. I chose wisely those years ago

But if I were buying for the first time today it would not be Pentax because the few stores anywhere near me could not show me one. They only get Pentax in by pre-paid order. Those stores do stock and could show me Canon, Nikon and Sony though, so I would probably buy one of the first two (I have issues with Sony). I would never buy something as expensive as a new camera by mail order if I could help it, as the postman leaves parcels out in the rain behind the gatepost half the time.
10-16-2020, 06:50 PM - 2 Likes   #6324
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If you hear a whir when he camera focuses it's mechanical.

If it's a screw drive lens (like the 50-200) is mounted on the camera, you use it every time you use the lens. it is auto-activated. No user input or selection is required.
Well copulate with my antique footwear. You are all correct and I have been a complete chump for never noticing that. I'm sort of glad I raised the comment in the first place because I now knew something new, but wished it hadn't been so obvious I was incorrect.

Thanks
10-16-2020, 07:35 PM   #6325

QuoteOriginally posted by Fotus Tuus Quote
I'm glad that everything is ok with you and everything (almost) ended well. Well, it's pretty scary what you write. I have never had any similar problems with my Subaru Impreza. Well, the Subaru / Pentax comparison was probably not worth mentioning. After all, with Pentax you never risk losing your life. My greetings to you!
That problem only occurred on the American Outbacks from 2006-2010--no other platform. It did, however make the Outbacks highly unstable even at low speeds under certain circumstances, without warning. No others models had that problem. I still have our last Subaru, my 2009 WRX wagon. Except for body panels that are always falling off (really), and the damn-stupid weak clutch because of the Hill Assist feature, it's a great car and a lot of fun to drive, but I'll never have another Subaru again. I've never had the first problem with a Pentax, starting in the 1970's. LOVE them.
10-16-2020, 11:02 PM   #6326
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, I'm naturally curious as to how many forum members here got into Pentax cameras because -- like me -- they were exposed to them in stores, vs. knowing or meeting somebody with Pentax cameras, vs. just reading about them, vs. having them come up in a search online of cameras to potentially buy. And another question that occurs to me, as I read this particular thread here, is whether there have been any routine (or even sporadic) Pentax conferences -- on a regional, national, or international level -- that enthusiasts have attended (and can attend -- after Covid19 has run its course).
I was a Minolta guy in the early 80's, but one day I needed a second camera so I borrowed my uncle's ME Super and enjoyed it. I few years passed - as did mu uncle - and the MES became mine - which led to some glass.
A few decades later and I wanted to get more serious with digital. For cost reasons it had to be either Nikon or Pentax, as I had a number of lenses in AIS or K mount. The Nikon D7200 felt wrong in my hands but the K3 felt good. So Pentax it was,.
10-17-2020, 01:04 AM - 1 Like   #6327
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well copulate with my antique footwear. You are all correct and I have been a complete chump for never noticing that. I'm sort of glad I raised the comment in the first place because I now knew something new, but wished it hadn't been so obvious I was incorrect.
Well, you're gonna be chuffed if you get a good fast focusing internal focus lens with motor...the speed difference will be a surprise
10-17-2020, 03:41 AM   #6328
Pentaxian

My first SLR was a used ME Super that I found in a photo store back in 1990, I believe. I had no relation to camera brands back then, and there were a lot more different brands then than now, so it was just a coincidence that I bought a Pentax.

The 28 mm that came with it was a bit too wide for my taste, so I bought a 20-80 zoom and later a Tokina 70-210. I used the camera for a few years, but lost interest and put it away. Then in the 2000's I started shooting again. The ME Super broke down, so I 'upgraded' to an LX. In 2008 the USD was really cheap, so I bought a 50/1.4 and a 120/2.8 from KEH.

Now when I've gone digital, the natural choice was Pentax, or there really was no alternative. None of the other brands tempted me. I bought a K20D with a Sigma 70-200 for cheap, then later bought a K-5IIs, and a bunch of lenses.

So to summarise, me being a pentaxian is just pure luck. If I'd found a Nikon back then, I could might as well have been a Nikon guy. If it'd been a Minolta, maybe Sony now. 😳
11-01-2020, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #6329
Forum Member

I'm in Northern Ireland and yet I have seen other pentax owners.

---------- Post added 11-01-20 at 02:30 PM ----------

I'm in Northern Ireland and yet I have seen other pentax owners. They're rare but sure Northern Irish are a rare enough breed anyway haha.
11-01-2020, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #6330
Pentaxian

When I think of who I know in real life that's a photographer, five people come to mind, one of whom is a Pentaxian, and it was nothing to do with me. We met after we had both acquired the habit (and brand).