Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2020, 03:59 PM   #6391
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Or maybe the time is coming when Pentax cameras will significantly increase in price and become attractive, hard-to-reach photographic equipment for connoisseurs? I think each of us can easily point to items that are rare and very expensive, although not perfect? Post scriptum: just in case, I bought all the lenses that I will need when I retire

11-12-2020, 04:00 PM - 3 Likes   #6392
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fotus Tuus Quote
P.S. Just in case, I bought all the lenses that I will need when I retire
Yea, sure, keep telling yourself that!
11-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #6393
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Yea, sure, keep telling yourself that!
OK. I will!
11-13-2020, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #6394
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fotus Tuus Quote
OK. I will!
^^^ That made me smile. When I tell my wife that my LBA is gone and she'll just laugh and call Lens Hoarders Anonymous.

11-13-2020, 01:10 AM   #6395
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
^^^ That made me smile. When I tell my wife that my LBA is gone and she'll just laugh and call Lens Hoarders Anonymous.
I just assert to SWMBO that whilst one can have too many cameras, one can not have too many lenses. Any raising of a quizzical eyebrow in response at a latest acquisition, is countered by the very sound argument that if the lenses are of high quality and rare, they will only increase in value over the long term and are hence a very sound investment!
11-13-2020, 01:25 AM   #6396
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
I just assert to SWMBO that whilst one can have too many cameras, one can not have too many lenses. Any raising of a quizzical eyebrow in response at a latest acquisition, is countered by the very sound argument that if the lenses are of high quality and rare, they will only increase in value over the long term and are hence a very sound investment!
My parents are more concerned about the total weight, I had to reassure them that I never bring even half the lenses on a given outing
11-13-2020, 01:44 AM   #6397
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
My parents are more concerned about the total weight, I had to reassure them that I never bring even half the lenses on a given outing
Do you have strange parents?! Why would they be concerned at any weight you would be required to carry? Perhaps they are trying to find a polite way of expressing their opinion that you have a problem (LAS). I am curious.

I only ever take a maximum of 3 lenses on any given outing, even if going away for a holiday for a week or two.

11-13-2020, 03:09 AM - 2 Likes   #6398
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
Do you have strange parents?! Why would they be concerned at any weight you would be required to carry? Perhaps they are trying to find a polite way of expressing their opinion that you have a problem (LAS). I am curious.

I only ever take a maximum of 3 lenses on any given outing, even if going away for a holiday for a week or two.
Oh no, they are just concerned because they know I tend to overload the backpack while hiking - I busted a knee seven years ago and it can still act up from time to time. It's anyway more playful than anything else, the typical expression is "so do you want us to get you a wheelbarrow for Christmas?"
11-13-2020, 08:03 PM   #6399
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Then black became the standard for pro cameras (eg Nikon F3, Pentax LX). Thus black was/is regarded as the professional or serious colour, despite the fact that black things become hotter in the sun which is not good for its internals and film.

However, extreme telephotos were made in white from the mid-1980s when photo safaris became a thing (real or just wannabe), for a practical reason, to minimise the lenses heating up while you are waiting in the sun for the lions to show up.
Many photographers spend lots of time in the hot summer sun with their cameras, and it is interesting that camera makers haven't offered lighter colors (like white). Reading this made me recall one of the ongoing "surprises" (to me) among even flagship DSLR cameras made by Pentax, Nikon, etc., that their manufacturer-stated operating ranges tend to be from around freezing to around 110-120 deg F -- even for supposedly "robust" weather-sealed cameras. I just don't understand the limited operating temperature ranges. The stated operating temperature ranges for all my old Pentax film cameras is much wider, going down to quite a bit (tens of degrees) below freezing (32 deg F). The color black doesn't affect this significant narrowing of the recommended ambient-termperature ranges.
11-14-2020, 12:03 AM   #6400
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cometguy Quote
Reading this made me recall one of the ongoing "surprises" (to me) among even flagship DSLR cameras made by Pentax, Nikon, etc., that their manufacturer-stated operating ranges tend to be from around freezing to around 110-120 deg F -- even for supposedly "robust" weather-sealed cameras. I just don't understand the limited operating temperature ranges. The stated operating temperature ranges for all my old Pentax film cameras is much wider, going down to quite a bit (tens of degrees) below freezing (32 deg F). The color black doesn't affect this significant narrowing of the recommended ambient-termperature ranges.
Mechanical film cameras are much more robust in scorching heat than anything digital due to electronics. Below freezing becomes problematic with lubrication of moving parts and battery power.

The color of the camera or lens can aid the equipment in sustained sunlight. Pentax states about the 560mm AW, "...the white barrel helps to minimize heat haze within the barrel." Canon and Sony super telephotos are white for these same reasons. So why not Nikon? Because Canons are typically used at sporting events where visibility is not an issue, but hours on the side line or photographer's boxes in the sun can get toasty. Nikons are more likely to be shooting wildlife and need to be more low key and less visible. Of course there are exceptions both ways and there are plenty of ways to both keep a black lens cool or a white lens hidden.

Before committing to a medium format camera back in the 80's, in my research, I found that the world's largest intelligence agency was using white Pentax 67 cameras for their still photography surveillance when mounted to the exterior of ships. I had never seen a white camera before then and asked why, and they explained it kept the camera cooler.
11-14-2020, 01:39 AM   #6401
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Oh no, they are just concerned because they know I tend to overload the backpack while hiking - I busted a knee seven years ago and it can still act up from time to time. It's anyway more playful than anything else, the typical expression is "so do you want us to get you a wheelbarrow for Christmas?"
I have always considered getting hold of an ex-military webbing belt and pouches, and having enough pouches for all the lenses I want to carry. Obviously the standard surplus pouches would need to be lined with some material, partially to keep them dry inside but also so it doesn't scratch the optics.

The point of this? well the military load carrying system is based around a belt and braces, so the weight of the load is spread between the hips and the shoulders leaving the arms free.
11-14-2020, 02:35 AM   #6402
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Before committing to a medium format camera back in the 80's, in my research, I found that the world's largest intelligence agency was using white Pentax 67 cameras for their still photography surveillance when mounted to the exterior of ships. I had never seen a white camera before then and asked why, and they explained it kept the camera cooler.
I don't suppose the visibility of the camera is of great importance when hanging off a honking great ship.
11-14-2020, 06:10 AM - 2 Likes   #6403
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I don't suppose the visibility of the camera is of great importance when hanging off a honking great ship.
I was reading this in bed and laughed almost hard enough to wake my wife. Lol.
11-14-2020, 12:28 PM - 3 Likes   #6404
Pentaxian

On the upside of things relating to the rarity of Pentaxians; I read on DPReview that the Laowa 100/2.8 ultra macro will also be available in K-mount. There is a third party manufacturer who believes in us!
11-14-2020, 01:11 PM   #6405
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
On the upside of things relating to the rarity of Pentaxians; I read on DPReview that the Laowa 100/2.8 ultra macro will also be available in K-mount. There is a third party manufacturer who believes in us!
Wasn't a high up laowa exec a member on here?