Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
12-15-2020, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #6466
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barefootdesigns Quote
My son is a jeweler and purveyor of minerals at the gem and mineral shop that he and his wife recently opened in Newport, RI. He needed a better camera for his jewelry work and so I gave him my Kx and a couple of lenses, including a fast 50 with macro. I honestly don't remember which particular lens it was, but I was trying to set him up with a good system. He seemed to be a bit overwhelmed with it when I asked how it was working out. He said that he mostly likes a small but good point-and-shoot. He seems to be quite satisfied with his own setup and gets good pix. Now I wish I hadn't sent that camera into oblivion. (Idiot!)

I am reluctant to question him about the fate of that setup, but it seems a waste to let him keep it if he's not using it. The Kx was one of my favorites. I mentioned that it has good resale value but he is a very busy person and never really told me what he had done. How can I ask him to sell it or return it so it's not simply sitting in a case not being used? I don't want to seem like an Indian giver, but my effort to involve him with Pentax has fallen on its face and I'm stuck about what to do. Any suggestions? I sure would love to have him become a Pentaxian but I seem to have overstepped there.
He is your son, so honesty would be the best way in my way of thinking. About the resale value, I wish I could find a buyer for one Kx that I have for sale. I have all the original paperwork, accessories and box other than the lens hood for the 18-55 kit lens. I've advertised it but had only one or two nibbles.

12-15-2020, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #6467
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax is out there!

I just saw a segment about Kirsten Becken (homepage info) on Deutsche Welle TV. Prominently displayed in the clips of her photoshoots and on her table was a very nice Pentax 645D or Z.

And I recently twice saw a street shooter on our pedestrian mall using a Pentax 67 film camera with the iconic wooden grip and a modest "normal" lens.
12-15-2020, 03:06 PM - 2 Likes   #6468
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My son is a jeweler and purveyor of minerals at the gem and mineral shop that he and his wife recently opened in Newport, RI. He needed a better camera for his jewelry work and so I gave him my Kx and a couple of lenses, including a fast 50 with macro. I honestly don't remember which particular lens it was, but I was trying to set him up with a good system. He seemed to be a bit overwhelmed with it when I asked how it was working out. He said that he mostly likes a small but good point-and-shoot. He seems to be quite satisfied with his own setup and gets good pix. Now I wish I hadn't sent that camera into oblivion. (Idiot!)

I am reluctant to question him about the fate of that setup, but it seems a waste to let him keep it if he's not using it. The Kx was one of my favorites. I mentioned that it has good resale value but he is a very busy person and never really told me what he had done. How can I ask him to sell it or return it so it's not simply sitting in a case not being used? I don't want to seem like an Indian giver, but my effort to involve him with Pentax has fallen on its face and I'm stuck about what to do. Any suggestions? I sure would love to have him become a Pentaxian but I seem to have overstepped there.
Talk to your son and tell him lovingly what you wrote here. It should work, and then you will be even better friends!
12-15-2020, 03:18 PM   #6469
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
That's a good mindset. However, many of us externalize our problems and believe if our photography is lacking, it must be because we don't have the best camera. In truth, the problem is usually the person in the mirror....(or closest to the mirror box).
Thanks for your reply. I must say, I liked your very good argument (which you used elsewhere in this forum): Pentax is not for beginners as they are unable to appreciate the advanced capabilities of Pentax cameras. Let me just add that I expect you meant not only the technical sophistication of the Pentax cameras, but also the mental advancement of user that seems necessary to like the Pentax. Am I wrong?

12-15-2020, 05:07 PM   #6470
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fotus Tuus Quote
Thanks for your reply. I must say, I liked your very good argument (which you used elsewhere in this forum): Pentax is not for beginners as they are unable to appreciate the advanced capabilities of Pentax cameras. Let me just add that I expect you meant not only the technical sophistication of the Pentax cameras, but also the mental advancement of user that seems necessary to like the Pentax. Am I wrong?
In general yes, I would agree that a more advanced user can appreciate a more advanced tool. Always some danger in making generalized statements as there are always exceptions. No, you're not wrong; that's what I meant, or at least implied.
12-16-2020, 10:02 AM   #6471
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fotus Tuus Quote
Pentax is not for beginners as they are unable to appreciate the advanced capabilities of Pentax cameras. Let me just add that I expect you meant not only the technical sophistication of the Pentax cameras, but also the mental advancement of user that seems necessary to like the Pentax. Am I wrong?
I do not think it is the inability of a beginner to appreciate the "advanced" capabilities of a camera (Pentax), that would make any camera less appropriate for a beginner. I think the beginner's interest and initiative to enter into photography would be the needed impetus to learn the operation of the camera (any camera). There are many thoughts involved in the start of any avocation, including price, interest, availability of equipment, purpose for beginning the hobby / business. Also, the person's ability to advance and learn the operation and accessories of the gear would come into play at some point.

In reality, all camera companies are putting as much into their cameras as possible trying to have the most efficient and most advanced options possible so they can attract the people who believe and think the better the camera the better the photos. That and they want the added income from having sold the fanciest and most advanced camera.
12-16-2020, 10:49 AM   #6472
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
In general yes, I would agree that a more advanced user can appreciate a more advanced tool. Always some danger in making generalized statements as there are always exceptions. No, you're not wrong; that's what I meant, or at least implied.
Long live the full accord between the Pentaxians

12-16-2020, 10:49 AM   #6473
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
I do not think it is the inability of a beginner to appreciate the "advanced" capabilities of a camera (Pentax), that would make any camera less appropriate for a beginner. I think the beginner's interest and initiative to enter into photography would be the needed impetus to learn the operation of the camera (any camera). There are many thoughts involved in the start of any avocation, including price, interest, availability of equipment, purpose for beginning the hobby / business. Also, the person's ability to advance and learn the operation and accessories of the gear would come into play at some point.

In reality, all camera companies are putting as much into their cameras as possible trying to have the most efficient and most advanced options possible so they can attract the people who believe and think the better the camera the better the photos. That and they want the added income from having sold the fanciest and most advanced camera.

Agree too! Long live the full accord between the Pentaxians
12-16-2020, 09:43 PM   #6474

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
He is your son, so honesty would be the best way in my way of thinking. About the resale value, I wish I could find a buyer for one Kx that I have for sale. I have all the original paperwork, accessories and box other than the lens hood for the 18-55 kit lens. I've advertised it but had only one or two nibbles.
You're right. I didn't want him to feel pressured to explain what he was thinking/doing re the Kx, but that's pretty stupid I guess. I will have an honest conversation with him about it. Appreciate your input.
12-17-2020, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #6475
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're right. I didn't want him to feel pressured to explain what he was thinking/doing re the Kx, but that's pretty stupid I guess. I will have an honest conversation with him about it. Appreciate your input.
If he is not interested in using the Kx then he may be very willing to return it to you. However, OTOH, he may appreciate some 1 on 1 mentoring re the Kx usage and operation. Could be a way for some father son bonding.

I can understand you also wanting to know the status of your (maybe formerly your) camera. I have two Pentax Kx DSLRs and both have been quite good cameras, reliable and I get quite satisfactory results with them. Hope you get your dilemma solved soon.
01-11-2021, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #6476
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Currently in my one section of digital photography the tally:
6 Canon, 3 Nikon, 1 Pentax (K70).

10%!!! Not bad
01-11-2021, 02:05 PM - 4 Likes   #6477
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One nice thing about Pentax being in the position of "rarely seen" within a group, you don't have the issue of people wanting to borrow your favorite lenses! OK, you don't have the option the other way, either, but keeping track of your "stuff" is a nice little sense of security!
01-15-2021, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #6478
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
One nice thing about Pentax being in the position of "rarely seen" within a group, you don't have the issue of people wanting to borrow your favorite lenses! OK, you don't have the option the other way, either, but keeping track of your "stuff" is a nice little sense of security!
I just make them jealous with the DA 21mm and DA 40mm. Mostly the 21.
01-15-2021, 08:56 AM   #6479
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
The guys I shoot with usually just hand me the whole camera when they want to demo a feature.

I know a couple of wealthy shooters who actually plan their Nikon purchases together, so they can have access to wide variety of lenses without having to buy them individually, then just borrow what they need on a given day.

---------- Post added 01-15-21 at 11:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I just make them jealous with the DA 21mm and DA 40mm. Mostly the 21.
I have a very small pelican case, that holds both the 21 and 40 XS. I always like to see the surprise when I tell them what's in the case, then open it up so they can see it.

Last edited by normhead; 01-15-2021 at 09:02 AM.
01-15-2021, 02:51 PM - 3 Likes   #6480
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I know a couple of wealthy shooters who actually plan their Nikon purchases together, so they can have access to wide variety of lenses without having to buy them individually, then just borrow what they need on a given day.
Sharing glass?!?

If someone asked to borrow one of my lenses, it'd be like they asked to borrow one of my vital organs... and they'd get the same response, I'm afraid I've seen too many folks man-handling cameras and lenses, and I'm awfully protective of my gear. Maybe if I knew the other person really well and knew they'd be as careful with their gear as I am, it might not be such a concern...