Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
01-15-2021, 03:00 PM   #6481
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Sharing glass?!?

If someone asked to borrow one of my lenses, it'd be like they asked to borrow one of my vital organs... and they'd get the same response, I'm afraid I've seen too many folks man-handling cameras and lenses, and I'm awfully protective of my gear. Maybe if I knew the other person really well and knew they'd be as careful with their gear as I am, it might not be such a concern...
I forgot to mention they are brothers.... they've been working this kind of stuff out for years. Both are meticulous with their gear.

01-15-2021, 03:38 PM - 2 Likes   #6482
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I forgot to mention they are brothers.... they've been working this kind of stuff out for years. Both are meticulous with their gear.
Brothers are the WORST for returning tools, etc. Not the best at all.

:-)
01-16-2021, 03:56 AM   #6483
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Sharing glass?!?

If someone asked to borrow one of my lenses, it'd be like they asked to borrow one of my vital organs... and they'd get the same response, I'm afraid I've seen too many folks man-handling cameras and lenses, and I'm awfully protective of my gear. Maybe if I knew the other person really well and knew they'd be as careful with their gear as I am, it might not be such a concern...
Careful as you? As your son or as your daughter, for example?
01-16-2021, 04:30 AM - 3 Likes   #6484
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fotus Tuus Quote
Careful as you? As your son or as your daughter, for example?
Thankfully, my son isn't into photography, so I don't have that dilemma That said, I'd readily donate a vital organ for my boy... so if he was a photographer, I guess I could stretch to loaning him the odd lens here and there...

01-21-2021, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #6485
Pentaxian

I was looking at the Amazon Canada at the page for the 150-450
They have 62 reviews. The crazy thing being, if I was to guess how many have been sold in Canada, I would have said "maybe fifty." I'm guessing the Amazon reviews represent a small percentage of actual sales.
HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mmF4.5-5.6ED DC AW Super-telephoto Zoom Lens for DSLR Cameras State-of-The-Art Optical Technology High-Resolution Images Free of Flare and Ghost Images All Weather Construction: Amazon.ca: Camera & Photo

Where are all these lenses?
01-21-2021, 12:05 PM   #6486
Pentaxian

It says 62 global ratings, though.
01-21-2021, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #6487
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
It says 62 global ratings, though.
The first 6 are from Canada, they got me....

OK, nothing to see here, move on.

01-21-2021, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #6488
dbs
Pentaxian

Look on the bright side Norm there are only 6 people to ' watch ' waiting for one for sale..
01-21-2021, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #6489
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Look on the bright side Norm there are only 6 people to ' watch ' waiting for one for sale..
Even second hand that lens is way out of my league. Besides, I'm a happy DA 55-300 PLM guy. When I need a "big gun" my Tamron 300 2.8 with the F 1.7x give me 510mm, ƒ4.5. Clearly superior.
01-21-2021, 07:45 PM   #6490
dbs
Pentaxian

Problem solved
Was there ever a problem ?
Anyway hows the shoulder coming along, the tammy will get a run soon ... yes ?
01-22-2021, 08:57 AM   #6491
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Problem solved
Was there ever a problem ?
Anyway hows the shoulder coming along, the tammy will get a run soon ... yes ?
I'm still restoring my range of motion, still not supposed to lift weight with my right arm, and the Tammy is 6 pounds, and needs to be supported by two hands.

At present I can only lift with my left hand, so I'm restricted to left hand support and, it's even painful to press the shutter release with my right.

So I'm probably 2 or 3 months away from getting back out in the blind with the Tammy.

I'd set the Tammy up on the tripod, but my blind is down for the winter and there's 2 feet of snow where I set it up. Last time I tried it was painful to even hold the right hand up to press the shutter button. I'll try again in a few weeks.

It's sad, we have both Pine Grosbeaks and Redpolls wintering here this year and I'd like K-1 images of both. This is the first time in more than 5 years those birds have wintered with us.

Last edited by normhead; 01-22-2021 at 09:54 AM.
01-22-2021, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #6492
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm still restoring my range of motion, still not supposed to lift weight with my right arm, and the Tammy is 6 pounds, and needs to be supported by two hands.

At present I can only lift with my left hand, so I'm restricted to left hand support and, it's even painful to press the shutter release with my right.

So I'm probably 2 or 3 months away from getting back out in the blind with the Tammy.

I'd set the Tammy up on the tripod, but my blind is down for the winter and there's 2 feet of snow where I set it up. Last time I tried it was painful to even hold the right hand up to press the shutter button. I'll try again in a few weeks.

It's sad, we have both Pine Grosbeaks and Redpolls wintering here this year and I'd like K-1 images of both. This is the first time in more than 5 years those birds have wintered with us.
Hi Norm

The mending is always slower than you like.
This year maybe Tess could give you a hand with your vision of photographing the birds.
Stay safe and hang in there.

Dave
02-23-2021, 06:44 PM - 2 Likes   #6493
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Latest tally on my current B&W Film Photo class for high school students:

6 Canon, 3 Nikon, 3 Pentax (K1000, MX, Zx5N-QD). 25% Pentax; respectable.
02-24-2021, 04:53 AM   #6494
G&R

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
One nice thing about Pentax being in the position of "rarely seen" within a group, you don't have the issue of people wanting to borrow your favorite lenses! OK, you don't have the option the other way, either, but keeping track of your "stuff" is a nice little sense of security!
Maybe you missed this, but it is possible modify your Pentax lens mount to support Nikon lenses. I have tried buying a ready made one, and failed, but the first example was done with careful use of a file.

Adaptist - Home
02-24-2021, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #6495
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Latest tally on my current B&W Film Photo class for high school students:

6 Canon, 3 Nikon, 3 Pentax (K1000, MX, Zx5N-QD). 25% Pentax; respectable.
The K1000 are bullet proof and the ideal camera to learn the basics.