Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2021, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #6526
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
I think it is a stretch to compare cameras to automobiles.
Leica R3 or 4 and Minolta XE1 or XD7 compares quite well with Jaguar/ Alfa Romeo/ Lancia and Ford/Fiat.

05-08-2021, 06:53 AM   #6527
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
yep, we are
05-08-2021, 07:18 AM - 3 Likes   #6528
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We aren't rare, we are exclusive
05-08-2021, 07:23 AM   #6529
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
We aren't rare, we are exclusive
+1 to that!

05-08-2021, 11:44 AM   #6530
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

True, there are many people, usually younger, who rely on cell phones rather than a MILC or DSLR. I have a son who is a Millennial and he depends on his cell phone for almost everything, internet, photos, clock/watch, and even some of his daily work, though for work he does have a laptop computer he uses. He has a wonderful eye for composition, color, poses, and uses no post processing of any kind.
I probably take photos of many more scenes/subjects with my iPhone than with my DSLRs. With my DSLRs, I do a lot of bracketing of the same scene/subject, so I may end up taking many more DSLR photos overall -- but I'll have many more photos of different scenes/subjects with my iPhone, simply because it's with me wherever I go. With my DSLRs, I'm usually taking specific time and effort to using them (and taking them with me somewhere, if away from home), so much more thought goes into using them, and I'm usually much more focused on getting the photo correct. Thus, there are lots of photos that I'd have missed in the past (10+ years ago) that I would now take because my iPhone is always with me.

---------- Post added 05-08-21 at 11:50 AM ----------

I think it is a stretch to compare cameras to automobiles.
My point was concerning the business model. And it's not a stretch to say that Pentax cameras and Porsches are similar in that they are both much more money than the average person would pay for a camera or a car, and they are relatively uncommon in the world compared to other cameras/cars. The point is that Porsche was struggling financially, as Pentax ostensibly is also, and both are owned by much larger parent companies. Porsche found a way out of its existential crisis by producing cheaper vehicles that more people would want to buy, vs. their more elite and expensive vehicles that relatively few people will ever consider.
05-08-2021, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #6531

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
One nice thing about Pentax being in the position of "rarely seen" within a group, you don't have the issue of people wanting to borrow your favorite lenses! OK, you don't have the option the other way, either, but keeping track of your "stuff" is a nice little sense of security!
To me, borrowing my lenses would be like somebody asking to borrow my husband. NOT!
05-08-2021, 01:23 PM   #6532
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
If my daughter takes photography (arts major) in Highschool next year, my K30 or K70 will be finding its way into class, which should bring some interesting comments.
If she's willing to take advice, you may want to 'familiarize' her with the basic functions and menus. I am constantly helping students with dozens of different makes and models of DSLRs, but it's almost always Canons and Nikons. If I wasn't a Pentaxian, I may not be helpful to the student with a Pentax and even give off negative vibes.

Teenagers for the most part just want to fit in, so it takes a student with confidence or being a non-conformist to embrace a Pentax and not have Canon/Nikon-envy. The K30 and K70 will definitely have advantages over the average Canon and Nikon in her class, so I would point those out to help boost her confidence as to why she's using something "unique".

05-09-2021, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #6533
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am a Pentax owner/user and a Harley-Davidson rider. Don't ask me if you can ride my Harley or use my Pentax and I won't ask to use your wife.
05-10-2021, 07:50 PM   #6534
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another day at the NY Botanical Gardens, another day of just seeing two Pentaxes, My K-1, my daughter's Q10!
05-12-2021, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #6535
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

competitor compliment

I recently talked to a B & H sales rep who is a Nikonite and when he heard I was a Pentaxian, he raved about the K1 II. Nice to hear.
05-12-2021, 08:07 PM   #6536
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Yoda boy Quote
I recently talked to a B & H sales rep who is a Nikonite and when he heard I was a Pentaxian, he raved about the K1 II. Nice to hear.
I've not met too many users of other camera makes, making positive comments about Pentax, but the camera club to which I belong, has a few Pentaxians in it and other members have lauded our cameras.
05-13-2021, 02:49 AM - 1 Like   #6537
Pentaxian

I've not met too many users of other camera makes, making positive comments about Pentax, but the camera club to which I belong, has a few Pentaxians in it and other members have lauded our cameras.
I get the impression that many people have bad things to say about Pentax cameras until they see them in action, hold them in their hands or see what they can produce.
05-13-2021, 09:43 PM   #6538
Pentaxian

I really don't see many other photographers with DLSRs or MILCs. In fact, the only one I see regularly is my friend who is a professional photographer and who uses Nikon. We don't really talk about cameras or lenses, just about the images and the process of taking them.
05-14-2021, 01:41 AM   #6539
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We use to have a camera shop, whenever I went in they waxed lyrical about Pentax, Canon not so much lol
05-14-2021, 06:22 AM   #6540
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
We use to have a camera shop, whenever I went in they waxed lyrical about Pentax, Canon not so much lol
Probably why they're gone...

People want Canon, Nikon and Sony, not much else.