Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2021, 07:56 PM - 2 Likes   #6646
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just got an email from Outdoor Photographer magazine. The email consists of an ad from Ricoh for the K-3III. First time I've seen something like this. Must have found some funding in the advertising budget! It'll be interesting to see if something similar shows up from other publications.

Attached Images

09-20-2021, 03:11 AM - 5 Likes   #6647
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A new Underground station opened in London yesterday, Battersea Power Station (famous for the Pink Floyd floating pig), and one of the first people through the gates was the guy on the right, who seems to be sporting a K-1!
Attached Images

09-21-2021, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #6648
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Latest update on camera tallies in my current film & digital classes:

Digital Photography: Canon 13, Nikon 5, Pentax 2 (both K70)
Film Photography: Canon 6, Nikon 4, Pentax 2 (ZX-60, Promaster), Zeiss Ikon 1, Rolleiflex 1
Photo II: Canon 8, Nikon 5, Sony 1

Totals: Canon 27, Nikon 14, Pentax 4, Others 1.
09-23-2021, 10:12 AM - 2 Likes   #6649

A cliched location - where one expects flowing water.

But what if there is none. Normally this section of the river dies up over the summer months. If you compose carefully you can get a refection of the tree. I couldn't, or daren't dangle a 645z almost on the water given the cost and size of it and the 28-45.

I've mixed feelings about this. Part of my loves it as reflections are just so me, and part of me think it's wrong as we are so conditioned into seeing waterfalls here.

Typically I avoided taking workshop clients here when there was no flowing water as it didn't seem right, and now I wonder if I've done them a terrible disservice by not getting them to challenge the norm.

Neither have ideal light...but I think I want to do more of this when next summer comes around.

10-07-2021, 06:57 AM - 2 Likes   #6650
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Spotted another Pentaxian in Yellowstone

I was in Yellowstone last weekend with a friend when a man came up to us. He spotted our Pentax gear and he struck up a conversation.

He had a K1 with a DFA 150-450, I had my K3 III with a DFA 150-450 and my friend had her KP with a DA 55-300. He was a very positive Pentax user.
I asked him if he was on the Forum and he said "not any more". Apparently some negative comments had caused him to drop off the board. I didn't pursue the issue.
It was good to find another Pentaxian enjoying the Park.
10-10-2021, 02:45 AM - 1 Like   #6651
Veteran Member

Went to a formal event last night and there was an offical photographer (very young female). My wife was chatting to her and mentioned that I have an interest in cameras and things, so the photographer turned to me and joking said "so if I need a break I'll get you to take over...?" I asked what her camera was and she replied that it was a Nikon something, so I jokingly sucked air through my teeth and replied "oooh, not with that. It's not my usual brand...". The photographer looked a me with a wry smile and said "Oh a Canon officienado..." to which I responded that I was a devotee of Pentax.

The young lady photographer then responded with "Ah, old school......"
10-11-2021, 01:39 PM - 5 Likes   #6652
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dwalt Quote
I was in Yellowstone last weekend with a friend when a man came up to us. He spotted our Pentax gear and he struck up a conversation.

He had a K1 with a DFA 150-450, I had my K3 III with a DFA 150-450 and my friend had her KP with a DA 55-300. He was a very positive Pentax user.
I asked him if he was on the Forum and he said "not any more". Apparently some negative comments had caused him to drop off the board. I didn't pursue the issue.
It was good to find another Pentaxian enjoying the Park.
This is one of the most positive photo forums on the internet, in my opinion. However, there are A-holes that pop up from time to time. Not too long ago, someone made a snide comment concerning me posting too often. Instead of letting it affect my me, like me changing my ways and posting much less or stop posting all together, I decided to put the person on my ignore list (the first and only person I've done that too). Someone once told me not to let other people rent space in your head, and I've tried to live by that since. Besides, the forum administrators here actually encourage people to post a lot - we can see this from contests for prizes...

Regards,

Michael

10-11-2021, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #6653
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
someone made a snide comment concerning me posting too often
Your posts, often a thread-starting question, have triggered some interesting discussions, going well beyond the apparent original scope.
10-11-2021, 04:27 PM - 3 Likes   #6654
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is one of the most positive photo forums on the internet, in my opinion. However, there are A-holes that pop up from time to time. Not too long ago, someone made a snide comment concerning me posting too often. Instead of letting it affect my me, like me changing my ways and posting much less or stop posting all together, I decided to put the person on my ignore list (the first and only person I've done that too). Someone once told me not to let other people rent space in your head, and I've tried to live by that since. Besides, the forum administrators here actually encourage people to post a lot - we can see this from contests for prizes...

Regards,

Michael
There will always be naysayers and negative people. The world would be much better off if people's minds were like parachutes, parachutes work best when open.
10-11-2021, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #6655
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Someone once told me not to let other people rent space in your head, and I've tried to live by that since.
Bravo! Definitely words to live by. I may well steal that line, it's priceless!
10-13-2021, 06:48 AM   #6656
Pentaxian

Regards,

Michael
The ignore list is a very useful feature indeed. I've used is sparingly but sometimes it's necessary.
10-15-2021, 01:14 PM - 2 Likes   #6657

Back on topic - I had to explain that medium format is actually a larger size than "full" frame today - full frame being 35mm and full implying larger than medium.

They were genuinely fascinated by the camera, the size of it, then I took a shot, showed them the file on the preview - zoomed into 100% - then showed them the in camera histogram of the shot and they were flabbergasted by a) the detail, b) the histogram and the massive dynamic range.

Quickly let them try the camera - they found it heavy but loved the view finder.

Another passerby didn't know the 645z existed and used a D850 - she's a full time pro too - and she felt the camera was great but the size of it was no good for hiking.

I've never had anything other than enthusiastic curiosity for the camera, the lens's etc.
10-16-2021, 08:54 AM - 4 Likes   #6658

Out and about yesterday to photograph one of the new Poseidon aircraft belonging to the Royal Air Force, there were three other people there one with a Canon one with a Nikon, me with my K3iii and another with a Pentax ME Super.

Talking to him he told me he had only ever owned one other camera, a K1000 which he sold years ago. The ME Super was the replacement, bought new and used continuously since then and the only problem he’d encountered was the light seal on the door leaking which he replaced around a month ago which is excellent going for a camera he bought around 40 years ago.

He told me he had no desire to go digital but he was becoming concerned at the cost of film and development plus the inconsistency he found between developers.

It was great talking to him and great to find another Pentaxian.
10-16-2021, 07:23 PM - 1 Like   #6659
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a bit surprising to me that anyone shooting film for 40+ years hasn't begun developing it themselves. Then again, thanks to die-hard film shooters like him it's kept the industry alive.
10-17-2021, 09:18 AM   #6660

QuoteOriginally posted by Trey45 Quote
It's a bit surprising to me that anyone shooting film for 40+ years hasn't begun developing it themselves. Then again, thanks to die-hard film shooters like him it's kept the industry alive.

I guess I’m another one, just don’t want to spend the extra time.

I used to, back in the days that I had free darkroom access (for printing too, of course) at the Kodak camera club. That was in the early 90s.