Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2022, 07:28 AM   #6796
Pentaxian

We were in Valencia for the weekend and walking by the iconic museum of science I saw another photographer taking photos of the palm trees. Lo and behold, it was a fellow Pentaxian! I'm not sure what he was shooting with since I had to rush off after my three-year-old but it looked like a K1 and 24-70/2.8.

02-23-2022, 08:00 AM   #6797
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I rarely see another Pentaxian now, however weirdly in January when I bought My GFX50R it turned out he had several brands he used, and for Astro, he used a K1,
02-23-2022, 02:14 PM   #6798
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Brought in the K-1 to work to take some macro shots of, well, work stuff. Two comments on that topic:

-The Olympus TG-5 is fantastic and works better than the K-1 with 0.5x macro for really close closeups, though it obviously can't match the Tamron 90/2.5 in actual sharpness when the Tammy's magnification is enough.
-Most importantly, no one knows what Pentax is. I even had one colleague ask "Oh wow, that must be a good camera, is it a Canon?".
02-23-2022, 05:12 PM   #6799
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Brought in the K-1 to work to take some macro shots of, well, work stuff. Two comments on that topic:

-The Olympus TG-5 is fantastic and works better than the K-1 with 0.5x macro for really close closeups, though it obviously can't match the Tamron 90/2.5 in actual sharpness when the Tammy's magnification is enough.
Have you seen the Pentax WG-10, Serkevan?

Actually has five lights to support a digital microscope mode.

I think neither the TG or WG series are actually made by Olympus or Pentax. I think the compacts are bought re-branded off an OEM. At one point, they sold the same camera, called the MX-1 by Pentax.

02-24-2022, 01:23 AM   #6800
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Have you seen the Pentax WG-10, Serkevan?

Actually has five lights to support a digital microscope mode.

I think neither the TG or WG series are actually made by Olympus or Pentax. I think the compacts are bought re-branded off an OEM. At one point, they sold the same camera, called the MX-1 by Pentax.
I *was* considering the WG series specifically because of the LED ring - And the WG7 is waterproof to 20 m without case, the TG5 is rated for 14 (the camera was intended for underwater use, work was a moment of "hey, I have a camera for this" )

Three factors pushed me to the Oly:
-Most importantly, I found one in good condition, with 1 year warranty, for 200€ right around Christmas (so it was a bit of an impulse buy)
-If I ever get the 30 m license, the Oly does have the option for a 60 m case, rails for extra lighting, etc.
-The Ricoh does not shoot raw, which is a bit of a bummer for underwater use at depth...

All in all, if I were to only do freediving I'd have jumped to the Ricoh (I even made a thread asking for advice, and it was my first option), but I'm not sure it would have been the best option for my needs.
02-24-2022, 02:00 AM   #6801
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
[...]
-The Ricoh does not shoot raw, which is a bit of a bummer for underwater use at depth...

[...]
Just checked the G900 if that was any better. It was not. Disappointing, since it is aimed at professional use.
03-18-2022, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #6802

Saw this in Facebook. I couldn't tell what camera this is, but at the very least, the lens is Pentax brand.

Login ? Instagram

03-19-2022, 10:15 AM   #6803
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by trevinon Quote
Saw this in Facebook. I couldn't tell what camera this is, but at the very least, the lens is Pentax brand.

Login ? Instagram
I'm pretty certain that's a KP.
03-19-2022, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #6804
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was out at a tulip farm today for the opening of the season and ran into a fellow Pentaxian. Second one in real life I've met since moving to Huntsville, AL last summer. I'm not sure what lens he was using, but he was rocking the K-1. We chatted for a bit and he told me he just purchased it in January. He was a Super ME user back in the day and wanted to get back into photography. To the guy I met, if you are on here, it is always nice to met other Pentaxians!
03-19-2022, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #6805
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LeChefRouge Quote
Second one in real life I've met since moving to Huntsville, AL last summer.!
We came close in New Orleans. We both went to the Sneaky Pickle and Red's. Sneaky is open again after burning down. Red's is still closed from hurricane Ida, and we both moved on from the city. Did you ever eat at Marie's? A few blocks behind the co-op with the JAX wall. The kitchen was not open a year when covid hit.

Cheers to old times!

03-19-2022, 01:27 PM - 2 Likes   #6806
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeChefRouge Quote
I was out at a tulip farm today for the opening of the season and ran into a fellow Pentaxian. Second one in real life I've met since moving to Huntsville, AL last summer. I'm not sure what lens he was using, but he was rocking the K-1. We chatted for a bit and he told me he just purchased it in January. He was a Super ME user back in the day and wanted to get back into photography. To the guy I met, if you are on here, it is always nice to met other Pentaxians!
I’ve been to that Tulip farm. It’s a fun place to grab some photo’s. I actually live nearby. I moved to the Huntsville area in 2020.

03-19-2022, 01:52 PM   #6807
Pentaxian

I think it will start to become more of a DSLR than a Pentax thing...when it comes to are we really that rare.

In fact, although Covid has drastically cut events in my burg the last while, before Covid, I was not seeing a heck of a lot of either mirrorless or DSLR cameras around...mostly cell phones. I have noticed a significant shift in the past decade.

The bell tolls.... eventually not just for Pentax but I think any 'good' (DSLR/Mirrorless) camera...other than cell phones.

But not me...you'll have to pry my.....
03-19-2022, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #6808
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I think it will start to become more of a DSLR than a Pentax thing...when it comes to are we really that rare.

In fact, although Covid has drastically cut events in my burg the last while, before Covid, I was not seeing a heck of a lot of either mirrorless or DSLR cameras around...mostly cell phones. I have noticed a significant shift in the past decade.

The bell tolls.... eventually not just for Pentax but I think any 'good' (DSLR/Mirrorless) camera...other than cell phones.

But not me...you'll have to pry my.....
It’s all brands. You just don’t see a lot of ILC camera’s in general anymore unless it’s professionals or super enthusiasts. I own an iPhone 12 Pro Max with ProRaw capability and it’s the first cell phone I’ve felt comfortable leaving the ILC at home when I don’t feel like carrying anything.
04-13-2022, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #6809
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Walking around Manhattan yesterday and I was behind a dad and his kid, he had a Pentax strap. Getting closer I saw he had a K-5 with a 18-55 kit lens. It had been several years since I saw another Pentaxian in the wild.

04-16-2022, 05:46 AM - 4 Likes   #6810

I had my second close encounter of the Pentax-kind (first was in 2010 on a vaporetto in Venice, I had a K20d, stranger K10d). A few days ago my wife (K-3iii) and I (K-1) strolled through Kensington, London, when some guy pointed at my camera and then at his K-1ii (he also had GRII). High five! I tried to start a conversation (Are you satisfied with Pentax? Starting over would you invest into Pentax again?), but, alas, he spoke hardly any English, as he was from Ukraine! What a strange coincidence... After a few minutes we shook hands (!), I expressed my hope that his country would fxxk the Russians and then we parted.