Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
05-27-2022, 08:39 AM   #6826
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Attended the local camera club a few weeks ago. I knew of one other Pentax user there but was surprised when a third showed up (that night was a walk about tour of downtown so everyone had their camera).
Pentax 3
Sony 1
Canon 1
Nikon 1
Possibly an Olympus in the mix, didn't pay that much attention to him.

05-27-2022, 09:58 PM - 1 Like   #6827
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cdd29 Quote
Attended the local camera club a few weeks ago. I knew of one other Pentax user there but was surprised when a third showed up (that night was a walk about tour of downtown so everyone had their camera).
Pentax 3
Sony 1
Canon 1
Nikon 1
Possibly an Olympus in the mix, didn't pay that much attention to him.
Pentax is the dominant interchangeable lens camera in Southern Indiana.
06-06-2022, 09:21 AM - 2 Likes   #6828
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was taking some pictures of my 15-year-old's last soccer game of the season, and the older brother of one of the other kids on the team came up to me and says "Wow, I've never seen a Pentax in person! What is that, oh, a K-3. Nice." We started talking and he clearly knew about the brand and was positive about it. He said he shoots Canon, primarily portraits and landscapes, but a little sports, too.

Sometimes you'll read here about people mocking your choice of camera brand, or trying to convince you that their gear is better. But I've never experienced that. My interactions have almost always been more like "Ah, cool, you're into photography, too."
06-06-2022, 09:51 AM   #6829

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Yesterday I did our city’s Pride Parade and walked the whole route as part of the parade with some friends, There was a lot of iPhones/iPads, Canons, Nikons but I didn’t spot any Pentax.

06-13-2022, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #6830
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On my recent road trip of Southern England, Mid Wales and the West Midlands. I spotted a few DSLRs in use mostly Canons, one unknown bridge camera and YES!!!!!! a K1!!!!!!!
06-14-2022, 09:41 AM   #6831
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just shot the local Relay For Life (cancer.ca) and there were :

1 Pentax - Me. (well 2, so I don't have to change lenses so often)
1 Sony - Local paper
1 Canon
1 Fuji (point and shoot)
And cell phones galore.
06-17-2022, 01:00 AM   #6832
Pentaxian

Walking around Koblenz Germany yesterday and spotted very few cameras. These were two Canons, one Nikon, and one Sony along with an unknown make compact. I also saw two bridge cameras which I thought were supposed to be extinct. I didn't see the make on the bridges, despite my best efforts.

06-17-2022, 01:05 AM   #6833
Pentaxian

And notably no German brand camera such as Zeiss, either.
06-17-2022, 03:28 AM   #6834
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Walking around Koblenz Germany yesterday and spotted very few cameras. These were two Canons, one Nikon, and one Sony along with an unknown make compact. I also saw two bridge cameras which I thought were supposed to be extinct. I didn't see the make on the bridges, despite my best efforts.
I still see "bridge" cameras (not a phrase I like, they're really just super-zooms) quite frequently. There aren't many different models made any more but people still use them.
06-17-2022, 06:18 AM   #6835
Pentaxian

I am happy to see Pentax here and there. Most important for meds is that Pentax sells, so we will see new products. Camera marked in is general dying. The entry level is covered by cell phones, high end, expensive gear wins up to a certain level. Medium format, Pentax dslr like medium format, may disappear next. The used market is very active after many year of no recognition and appreciation. There is a run on manual lenses, prices increase rapidly. What really bothers me is that I see less and less cameras in general.
06-17-2022, 09:28 AM   #6836
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
...What really bothers me is that I see less and less cameras in general.
Second day and I saw a few more cameras in a less congested area. I think my final count was 5 Canons, 2 Nikons, 2 Sonys, 3 tiny compacts that I think we're also Canons, and 2 more bridge cameras or superzooms, and even one tripod. More cameras than day one, but for sure a lot fewer than would be seen five years ago.
People using their phone camera were of course tntc. Phones are just too easy and provide direct access to sharing apps which are the final destination for most photos anyhow.
06-17-2022, 11:45 AM   #6837
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Summer School Digital Photography tally:
Nikon: 14
Canon: 13
Fujifilm: 1

DSLR: 26
Mirrorless: 2 (Nikon V1 and Fujifilm XT-1)
06-18-2022, 05:24 AM   #6838

A friend of mine was asking about cameras not too long ago, I showed him my Pentaxes, Canons and my one Nikon, he chose Nikon, go figure....Even after I showed him all the features Pentax has, he still wants a Nikon. Even after I showed him how much of a bargain the legacy lenses are, he still chose Nikon.
06-18-2022, 06:53 AM   #6839
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trey45 Quote
A friend of mine was asking about cameras not too long ago, I showed him my Pentaxes, Canons and my one Nikon, he chose Nikon, go figure....Even after I showed him all the features Pentax has, he still wants a Nikon. Even after I showed him how much of a bargain the legacy lenses are, he still chose Nikon.
Some people just do not listen.
06-18-2022, 08:25 AM - 2 Likes   #6840
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
Some people just do not listen.
Most likely all he heard was "Nikon", and name recognition disabled his cognitive functions.