Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
08-25-2022, 01:39 AM - 4 Likes   #6871
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Not quite, it's the opposite. Chucking perfectly repairable product into the landfill is what's negative.
I had assumed that the OP had made a typing error. My daughter was throwing good pairs of shoes away because the laces had broken. She had not realised you can buy replacement laces for a few pence until I pointed it out.

I am often repairing stuff, doubling or trebling the life of things, usually at trivial or zero cost and in less time than it would take me to buy a replacement. After my repairs they are usually more robust than when new, such as replacing a fragile plastic clip (that looks like it was meant to break!?) with a steel one.

08-25-2022, 03:48 AM   #6872
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
After my repairs they are usually more robust than when new, such as replacing a fragile plastic clip (that looks like it was meant to break!?) with a steel one.
At work one of the hose heads was breaking every couple months (It's a relatively high pressure line for washing), by virtue of leaking at one of the joints. As usual for those things, the PVC clamping ring was getting loose and breaking inside the (also PVC) cover, so I wrapped the replacement ring with teflon tape and substituted the PVC assembly with a tighter, stainless steel one. I think we paid 4 euros or so for the new joint.

It's worked without a single leak, at higher pressures than before, since... I think early February.

On topic, I went to one of the quarter's fairs in Barcelona last weekend. There were a good amount of people with ILC gear, including a good bunch of ML FF systems (only one pro-looking Canon DSLR that I saw). Interestingly, out of the half-dozen higher-end cameras I got a look at, all but a couple had what looked to be Tamron lenses (basically Sony FF bodies, I think one was a Fuji?). The other were the Canon DSLR and a Nikon FF ML, with what looked like first party lenses.
08-25-2022, 05:07 AM   #6873
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Not quite, it's the opposite. Chucking perfectly repairable product into the landfill is what's negative.
It depends. Storage or keeping production lines are not environmentally neutral. At certain scale it may be better to supply new gear then keep/produce parts for old one. Home appliances are different story from cameras, different users and scale of production/usage.
08-25-2022, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #6874
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SFTphotography Quote
Yes - but in years to come as these DSLR's die - that'll change.

I was at a Nikon repair centre in the UK - not naming which one, and over the course of a conversation with another customer I heard that "Nikon won't supply new shutter units for D800 and D810" cameras. The D810 was still onsale in 2017. So - this tells us that parts/repairs on relatively recent top end cameras can no longer be actioned - and thus when it fails, you'll have very little choice left for DSLRs

I think this is a shame, but you can see the direction of change.

I called into a major UK retailer yesterday and all the cameras on display bar the D850 were mirrorless. The guy conceded the D850 was "the one" in the shop to buy but the big push from Canon/Nikon is mirrorless.

Pentax badly need to update the K1 to 45 or 60mp, and offer more than rebranded tamron zooms to really increase market share. The 645z is now being undercut by Fuji - and again Pentax have relied on a back catalogue of older lenses rather than newer ones to fully utilise what is actually the best DSLR body you can buy.
That's a shame, and I'd say a step too far in the move to mirrorless. Not supplying parts for a five-year-old camera.

I don't think Pentax need to increase the resolution of a new K-1 model, plenty of people don't want bigger files (I know I wouldn't) but I think they're going to find their options very limited when it comes to obtaining a new sensor - they will all have on-sensor AF pixels. All the "budget" FF mirrorless bodies use 20 to 24MP sensors so they might even need to downgrade to that to keep costs under control (though the 24MP sensor in my S5 is great, I have no complaints at all).

08-25-2022, 10:10 AM   #6875
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
It depends. Storage or keeping production lines are not environmentally neutral. At certain scale it may be better to supply new gear then keep/produce parts for old one. Home appliances are different story from cameras, different users and scale of production/usage.
Not to mention durable goods with specialized parts that would go unused being different from highly universal and often consumable goods.
08-25-2022, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #6876
Pentaxian

Out and about for the past couple of days and saw relatively few cameras of any kind. Most were phones, but I did see one guy dual wielding DSLRs with big pro-level zooms. I knew that he knew what he was doing since the hoods were mounted correctly. I didn't get close enough to see the make.
08-25-2022, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #6877
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Outing Today

I was out today getting photos of "Tall Ships" (multimasted sailing ships) in Erie, PA. Around my vantage point, there were four of us using actual cameras, all other picture taking devices were cell phones. The count was three Canon (one a video camera), one Lumix and one Nikon. I was there with two Pentax, a K-x and a K-70. I'll try to upload a couple pics tomorrow, it's late and I'm tired.

08-25-2022, 08:33 PM   #6878
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
I was out today getting photos of "Tall Ships" (multimasted sailing ships) in Erie, PA. Around my vantage point, there were four of us using actual cameras, all other picture taking devices were cell phones. The count was three Canon (one a video camera), one Lumix and one Nikon. I was there with two Pentax, a K-x and a K-70. I'll try to upload a couple pics tomorrow, it's late and I'm tired.
The tall ships come through my area every couple of years or so (not this year, though) and I've wanted to go capture them since getting into the hobby. Hope you got some good ones!
08-26-2022, 10:43 AM   #6879
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
The tall ships come through my area every couple of years or so (not this year, though) and I've wanted to go capture them since getting into the hobby. Hope you got some good ones!
There were some that sailed into Erie, PA, harbor three years ago and I got some photos of them. I heard nothing about hem in the intervening years.
08-26-2022, 01:29 PM   #6880
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
There were some that sailed into Erie, PA, harbor three years ago and I got some photos of them. I heard nothing about hem in the intervening years.

From the limited info I found when looking up some sort of schedule on them, I think it's a race of some sort and their stops change year to year.
08-26-2022, 05:59 PM   #6881

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I don't think Pentax need to increase the resolution of a new K-1 model, plenty of people don't want bigger files (I know I wouldn't) but I think they're going to find their options very limited when it comes to obtaining a new sensor - they will all have on-sensor AF pixels. All the "budget" FF mirrorless bodies use 20 to 24MP sensors so they might even need to downgrade to that to keep costs under control (though the 24MP sensor in my S5 is great, I have no complaints at all).
It's possible that they're waiting on Sony to release the A7RV and put the A7RIII out to pasture so they can scoop up the sensor at a good price. I don't see Sony keeping three different R's in the lineup, especially now that the A7IV has a 33MP sensor.
08-26-2022, 10:46 PM - 1 Like   #6882
Pentaxian

Bumped into about 4 or 5 when I went to France 2019. Never met one again since then. I've stopped trying to spot a fellow Jedi Pentaxian in my area. I guess you will just feel the Pentax force when you meet one.
08-29-2022, 09:13 AM   #6883

Is there anyone else who is using an old Pentax DSLR with a CCD sensor as their first interchangeable lens camera? I've purchased a k100d and it should arrive in a few days. The bigg thing for me was that it was one of the few DSLRs I could find bundled with a lens for ~$100 that had an sd card slot rather than cf.
08-29-2022, 12:37 PM   #6884
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tpefreedom Quote
Is there anyone else who is using an old Pentax DSLR with a CCD sensor as their first interchangeable lens camera? I've purchased a k100d and it should arrive in a few days. The bigg thing for me was that it was one of the few DSLRs I could find bundled with a lens for ~$100 that had an sd card slot rather than cf.
Check
The CCD Sensor Cult. I mean Club... - Page 158 - PentaxForums.com
08-29-2022, 11:34 PM   #6885
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tpefreedom Quote
sd card slot rather than cf.
Without a firmware upgrade it is limited to a small sd card. I think 2gig. With upgrade I think it holds a 32g.