Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2022, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #6946

I've only seen other Pentax users in the wild when I was living in Japan where there is still a somewhat healthy population of Pentaxians.

I can't blame finns for not even considering Pentax since the marketing is non-existent here. It requires some independent research to discover the brand and the handful of independent camera stores that still carry Pentax.

It really is a shame since I think the ruggedness and reliability of Pentax should be a strong selling point in our demanding climate.

11-16-2022, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #6947
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Midorime Quote
It really is a shame since I think the ruggedness and reliability of Pentax should be a strong selling point in our demanding climate.
Agreed, those are included in my list of reasons for buying Pentax, and sticking with it.
11-16-2022, 03:57 PM   #6948
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
Agreed, those are included in my list of reasons for buying Pentax, and sticking with it.
Those were the #1 reasons for me going with Pentax. If there was just a little advertising in the States and Pentax was in Best Buy at least people would see them!
11-16-2022, 04:43 PM   #6949
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
Those were the #1 reasons for me going with Pentax. If there was just a little advertising in the States and Pentax was in Best Buy at least people would see them!
Not just Best Buy but if there were a few more brick and mortar camera/photogrphy stores, like back in the days of film. That may be just a bit too much to ask.

11-19-2022, 12:41 AM - 4 Likes   #6950
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The way it looks, only Pentax will be the brand catering to DSLR. If we look at all our reasons for choosing Pentax, I'd say 95% of our reasons are the same. But we are all aware that the market is shifting to mirrorless. Well maybe we DSLR users are a different breed. But yes, we will be rare and continue to be rare. Anyway, Jedi Pentaxians will always be a rare breed. I don't see the market shifting back to DSLR in the next 5 years. I just hope Pentax will be profitable so that it can continue to support its user base.

Last edited by totsmuyco; 11-19-2022 at 12:48 AM.
11-19-2022, 06:09 AM   #6951
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
The way it looks, only Pentax will be the brand catering to DSLR. If we look at all our reasons for choosing Pentax, I'd say 95% of our reasons are the same. But we are all aware that the market is shifting to mirrorless. Well maybe we DSLR users are a different breed. But yes, we will be rare and continue to be rare. Anyway, Jedi Pentaxians will always be a rare breed. I don't see the market shifting back to DSLR in the next 5 years. I just hope Pentax will be profitable so that it can continue to support its user base.
I am encouraged by the notification that Ricoh/Pentax is releasing the KF. I realize it is a slightly changed K-70, but it along with the K3 and the FF K1 has been fairly successful (i think). At my advanced age I do not really see any advantage for me to upgrade art this time, however if I live long enough, I may go for another upgrade.
11-23-2022, 08:18 AM - 4 Likes   #6952
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am encouraged by the notification that Ricoh/Pentax is releasing the KF. I realize it is a slightly changed K-70, but it along with the K3 and the FF K1 has been fairly successful (i think). At my advanced age I do not really see any advantage for me to upgrade art this time, however if I live long enough, I may go for another upgrade.
I may not be quite as advanced as yourself, but I am in a similar position. The K3 iii is now affordable to me, but it offers insufficient reasons for me to upgrade from my KP/K3 combination, despite it being a rather lovely camera (yes, I have managed to have a play with one!). Last year I chose not to get one and got K1 ii instead (it suited its intended purpose of still life and landscape better). My other digital system is Fuji APSC and again their latest offerings offer no reason for me to upgrade from my X-T1/X-E3 combination. Digital cameras really have been rather good for some time now and upgrades are not justifiable for the enthusiast IMO. Unless one has a specific need for the latest and greatest AF or high ISO/DR performance, the only reasons to change are equipment failure or to feel good about owning the latest and greatest, which is doomed to be a rather ephemeral (and expensive) feeling.
I wonder how many spend money on upgrades, rather than going on a trip to a great location? The £1000ish I just spent on a weeks holiday for two plus the dog, provided almost endless photo opportunities. Had I spent that money on an upgrade instead, I might have a really nice bit of kit, but be stuck at home with no new photos to take, but have the company of a bored dog and a dis-chuffed spouse.

11-23-2022, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #6953
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
I may not be quite as advanced as yourself, but I am in a similar position. The K3 iii is now affordable to me, but it offers insufficient reasons for me to upgrade from my KP/K3 combination, despite it being a rather lovely camera (yes, I have managed to have a play with one!). Last year I chose not to get one and got K1 ii instead (it suited its intended purpose of still life and landscape better). My other digital system is Fuji APSC and again their latest offerings offer no reason for me to upgrade from my X-T1/X-E3 combination. Digital cameras really have been rather good for some time now and upgrades are not justifiable for the enthusiast IMO. Unless one has a specific need for the latest and greatest AF or high ISO/DR performance, the only reasons to change are equipment failure or to feel good about owning the latest and greatest, which is doomed to be a rather ephemeral (and expensive) feeling.
I wonder how many spend money on upgrades, rather than going on a trip to a great location? The £1000ish I just spent on a weeks holiday for two plus the dog, provided almost endless photo opportunities. Had I spent that money on an upgrade instead, I might have a really nice bit of kit, but be stuck at home with no new photos to take, but have the company of a bored dog and a dis-chuffed spouse.
I like your way of thinking about spending money on a nice vacation with the wife instead of upgrading(?) to new equipment. Three years ago wife and I went on a 19 day trip from NW Pennsylvania to SD to see Rushmore, the Badlands, Devil's Tower and places on the way. I was using a Pentax K-x and I have some pretty impressive (my opinion) photos. SInce then I did upgrade to a K-70. and sold one of my K-x cameras to help pay for it.
11-24-2022, 06:50 AM   #6954
Pentaxian

Of course, very important to travel in order to be able to fully enjoy photographing new places.
11-24-2022, 07:32 AM   #6955
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My current KP more than meets my DSLR needs, I've been using Pentax cameras since 1980 with my ME. I have way too much invested in APSC Pentax lens to change to FF, besides I like smaller form factor. I even use a Sony A6500 for travel for it's even smaller form factor.
12-05-2022, 07:26 AM - 3 Likes   #6956

Photos: Albums
I was taking some photos around the office for the boss the other day. One of the new starters saw the KP and said "Wow, Pentax, you must be serious".
He then started on about how the modern generation wont know what a camera is cos they all take snapshots on their phone..
12-07-2022, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #6957
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Midorime Quote
I've only seen other Pentax users in the wild when I was living in Japan where there is still a somewhat healthy population of Pentaxians.
Interestingly, according my my Nikonian brother who lives in Tokyo, the brand is known and loved very well there and sees a lot of Pentaxians in the wild, even on the streets. Of course, Olympus MFTs are the most common for him, but then he got curious as to why people are carrying Pentax cameras, which, for him are rather compact for DSLRs.

QuoteOriginally posted by DeKay Quote
I was taking some photos around the office for the boss the other day. One of the new starters saw the KP and said "Wow, Pentax, you must be serious".He then started on about how the modern generation wont know what a camera is cos they all take snapshots on their phone..
This is true. I've read a couple of posts here saying that in order for one to truly appreciate cameras, he/she must shoot in manual mode. Then we'll see how far cameras have gone. Gladly, Pentax gives us the true experience in such mode.

Regarding the question about being rare, here's a group of Pentaxians in the wild in Japan.
12-07-2022, 06:35 PM - 5 Likes   #6958
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've ran into a few Pentax users over the last year. One was a 67 user photographing a train & had driven about 5 hours just for it (I happened to be in the area by unrelated circumstances and ran into him.) Also had a gent come up to me a few months ago at a local festival with a K3iii. First one i've actually seen.

Ironically I saw this posted on facebook a few days ago, in all places in a Sony group. Respect...
Attached Images

12-08-2022, 04:18 AM - 4 Likes   #6959

It doesn't bother me a bit the fact other people do not have Pentax material.

Aside from the economic results for the company that might hinder future development, i have no mental space to worry about other people's choice of material.

I do feel a little bit special when i work with something that is rare. And that is a positive. When people see my work, and like it and see that is made by a Pentax camera, i get double the pleasure....
12-08-2022, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #6960
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Iron Quote
Regarding the question about being rare, here's a group of Pentaxians in the wild in Japan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR0dYv_Cbis
That's what I call a herd of Pentaxians. Unfortunately, there aren't much of us here in my part of the woods.

I still believe Jedi Pentaxians are rare. One thing nice about being rare is it gets to be expensive

Last edited by totsmuyco; 12-09-2022 at 05:35 PM.