Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2010, 03:06 PM - 13 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Are we really THAT rare?

I've read the "pros dissing Pentax" thread and had a bit of a laugh. I shot high-end Canon for 30 years in my film days but am at a more laidback place now during semi-retirement. For the switch to DSLR, I couldn't justify the expense - particularly for good glass - that Canon entailed and went with Pentax. I am very happy with that choice despite the occasional sneer from my former Canon compatriots.

Now, my topic. During the recent Worldwide Photo Walk, I joined 40+ area photographers for a fun day of shooting followed by a group lunch and wrap-up. In that group, I saw exactly zero Pentax DSLRs - aside from my own. I found myself "justifying" my choice not to go with Canikon during good natured discussions. Not so much distain but more "why in the world would a serious photographer NOT buy Canikon??"

Are we really that sparse out in the world?

08-06-2010, 03:08 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote

Are we really that sparse out in the world?
Yes, we are. Saw my first "other Pentax guy", after several years, just a couple weeks ago.
08-06-2010, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I ran into one other Pentax shooter out of a couple hundred photographers in my Florida outings. So yeah, I think we are
08-06-2010, 03:42 PM - 19 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

We are but who really cares. I have only been asked "why Pentax" once (but i've only had a Pentax for about 5 months), to which I replied, "Because I like it". At first the Nikon shooter was very nice, he came up to me and said, "I notice you had a nice camera" and started a casual conversation. That lasted about 45 seconds then he was trying to tell me this, tell me that, Nikon is better, you should have gotten a Canon, etc..... After only about 5 seconds of that I told the gentleman to "Please stop right there and please stop talking to me, I do not know you, I do not care about what you have to say. You started off nice enough but turned into something I do not wish to waste my time on. Have a nice day with your Nikon and I'll have one with my Pentax", and never heard from the guy again.

Canikons are like street priests. They speak like canikons are the holy gospel and try to push their religon upon the world. I do believe there is free will amongst the free and I tend to tell every canikon that I am entitled to what makes me happy and do not need to justify my SUPERIOR (haha) Pentax to you.

08-06-2010, 03:47 PM - 9 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

yes we are and that is because of Pentax marketing strategy not because of the actual products
08-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

We are
08-06-2010, 03:58 PM - 7 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

I live in Ironbridge in the UK, it's a World Heritage Site and a huge tourist draw all year, in the summer it's packed out.

A few days ago I was walking through the town and there were three large coaches full of young Japanese tourists coming down the road towards me, and as the regulation for being a Japanese tourist requires they were fully loaded with the newest DSLR's money could buy.

I saw so many differently coloured KX's I lost count, and there were also a good amount of K7's.
Yes, they were seriously outnumbered by the CaNikons, but it was a significant amount of Pentax's.

Many of them were also in awe of my battered old K10 and the Industar 50-2 that was adorning it, the Pentax brand doesn't seem to be doing that badly.

08-06-2010, 04:00 PM - 21 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hear that PentaxForums actually hires actors to come in here and act like Pentax owners. We're that rare! Can you guess which ones?
08-06-2010, 04:11 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I hear that PentaxForums actually hires actors to come in here and act like Pentax owners. We're that rare! Can you guess which ones?
LOL LOL LOL LOL
that just started of my weekend on a happy note thank you.
08-06-2010, 04:21 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

I run into Pentax users all the time... seriously.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/gatherings-photo-trips-groups/79381-post-...ictures-2.html
08-06-2010, 04:27 PM - 9 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

So while all the canikon fanboys are out spending loads of $$$ on new lenses, I'll still be haunting yard sales and pawn shops to pick up 30 year old Pentax lenses for usually under $50 that still work on DSLR...can't beat it with a stick...

Oh yeah, I can't remember seeing anyone with a Pentax lately, one here and there in my film days, that's about it, so I guess we are that rare.
08-06-2010, 04:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I guess we are rare, but really so what.
If one's digital camera works appropriately and gives one results/satisfaction along with the lenses one has purchased (old/new) that should be enough.
Maybe it appears as a rarity to use Pentax in these times because the number of brand names have dwindled and really Pentax marketing is non-existent compared to Canikon.
But I take comfort in knowning that back in the early 80s, (when I first started with the Minolta system) Pentax was always named in any serious photography discussion. With its lenses considered among the best, it was a serious system to consider.

Rare or not , I feel great owning a Pentax dslr nowadays! And save some bucks in the process.

Last edited by Jools; 08-06-2010 at 04:29 PM. Reason: clarification
08-06-2010, 04:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I shot the Pacific University alumni reunion a few months ago and the other photographer (much to my surprise) shot a k20d with the 50-135! Other than that...the only other pentax shooters I know are my brother and my dad's cousin.
08-06-2010, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
On a recent trip to the Las Vegas strip I spent some time camera watching. I spotted more Leicas (2) than Pentax (0).
08-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #15
Forum Member

Rarity might be good. It seems like it might be keeping the price down versus Nikon. I was considering a Nikon, D90 I think, but after seeing some very nice photos from a Pentax user, as well as the prices, I will be going with a KX instead.

Now I am debating whether to sell my last roll of K25 16mm to help finance the 2 lens with the 55-300......