Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2010, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ZERO!! Don't need it - don't care about it!!

08-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
... but only if it supported my lenses - which are screwdrive, a combination of DA, FA, A and K. In body stabilization, would also need to be supported - to me its valuable in wide angle with ambient low light - when I do not have a tripod.

Yes I agree, the FF should support all what you write; however, personally, I do not care much about the legacy glass, since there is much nice things in production - however full support for F/FA glass would be required on my part.

Still, there is a good chance that a Pentax FF dSLR will let some old pieces of A, K and M glass shine like never before!
08-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

When I came in to digital photography, I choose Pentax for several reasons.
1) I had an old Spotmatic II that I liked from 1970;
2) Pentax had and has excellent optics;
3) In body stabilization;
4) easy to use old glass and no "would it work" problems.
Do I need, or will I need/want FF - probably not, but I figure sometime in the future something is going to break and not be able to be repaired, so I would like some equipment path available. Who knows what Pentax is going to do. I see September's announcement as potentially important in terms of the direction Pentax will go in the future, so I am interested from that perspective.

So that is the perspective that I say:
  • Maintain the screwdrive
  • Maintain the inbody stabilization

08-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I'd pay $2-3k to keep it profitable for pentax. A majority of my lenses are ff compatible so no worries on my end. I am currently using a K 100D Super and I love it but I feel that soon I will be getting a new body to help me grow in my photography. I want the rear curtain sync, wireless flash contol and other features that are not available on my Super. A high iso capable camera in a weather sealed body with in body stabilization is what I'm looking for.

08-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Having read several threads on FF DSLR interest here, I thought I'd put together a survey on actual interest in putting money where our mouths are.
Good initiative. I participate.
08-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's would be a tough question to answer w/o knowing the actual product. FF alone doesn't make any camera desirable. The optical performance of old Pentax lenses on FF is also a practical concern, and I suspect the majority of Pentax FF lenses won't be that great on FF DSLRs when you look beyond the centre sharpness. Without good optics to go with, FF is not that attractive.
08-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
FF alone doesn't make any camera desirable.
Yes. But if an actual product is out, you don't need the questionaire. You either buy or not.

I interpret the question as if the camera would be like a K-7 otherwise (or the then up-to-date APSC enthusiast model). Esp., I assume the same sensor technology, like both being Sony Exmor.
08-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Good initiative. I participate.
Thanks! 27 responses so far. So far, not too many voting "$0 -- would not buy". In fact, some pretty firm figures are shaping up.

08-07-2010, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

No poll so I will say.....................ZERO!
I'm sticking with the crop factor, I have the knowledge and I have the lenses!

I like the way things are at the present time.

Ray
08-07-2010, 08:43 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
ZERO!! Don't need it - don't care about it!!
Me neither.

I can draw a clear line about what I need, and what I want, and I neither want or need a FF.
08-08-2010, 12:25 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I added my response in the "I don't need no stinkin' FF" category. I care more about new lenses being introduced.
08-08-2010, 02:05 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I added my response in the "I don't need no stinkin' FF" category. I care more about new lenses being introduced.
Fair enough, that's what I hope to measure. I hope the other people who mentioned $ figures in this thread have made their responses in the survey if they want to be included.
08-08-2010, 02:08 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I'm afraid an eventual FF from Pentax - would - come too late for a lot of people already.
Quite a number of Pentax users made a change to one of the 3 options - mostly Nikon, I believe (you all know some of them).
Those that are on a restricted budget, sold the Pentax lenses to afford the new system. I doubt any would do the same again when or if Pentax finally comes up with a FF.

Me, I will never buy anything Pentax again due to the 'non-existance' of the support Pentax has in place over here.
Had I not had these bad experiences, I would have opted for a Pentax FF the moment it became available.
08-08-2010, 05:10 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I think Pentax could make me go Full Frame with a K8, for a price between the current K7 and Sony A850 24Mp FF which is quite cheap here.

I think if they did this it would actually quite a splash in the semi-pro market, and would be one of the few ways to tempt Canon and Nikon users to have a backup Pentax as a possibility too, and make some money in the semi pro bracket. Which i doubt Pentax do as well compared to entry level and pro areas. (i.e Kx and 645d)

I think if Pentax don't go full frame at Photokina (which I doubt they will) this time next year they will have too, as the FF creep into lower end is undoubtedly going to happen. Sony seem to already be there in fact, who knows how long before Samsung decide to test the waters. So for Pentax to jump now and offer a good field full frame at a reasonable cost would be a great idea.

But me thinks 2 new Camera's for Photokina will not include a FF K7...
08-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #30
Veteran Member

There have been couple of similair threads like this. I`ve stated my intentions before, but i voted again and repeat here.

I`m ready to dish out up to $2.5K on a moment Pentax FF becomes available. Should it be pricier, I`d give it some consideration first.

But I have been in this state for about a year and a half now. A bit more time and my money are going elsewhere.