Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-06-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How much would you pay for a FF Pentax DSLR?

Having read several threads on FF DSLR interest here, I thought I'd put together a survey on actual interest in putting money where our mouths are.

This is just an exercise in testing forum-goer's real appetite for such a camera. I'll share the results after a week (or if I hit the 200 user limit, which I highly doubt). Note that I am avoiding the issue of feature set altogether and just want to anonymously gauge buyer interest.

Pentax DSLR survey #1

08-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Kind of meaningless unless we know the features. Are you saying it's a FF K-7 or K100D?

It's like asking how much you'd pay for a motorcycle.
08-06-2010, 07:03 PM   #3

You have your first client here.
Or more exactly, as explained on the other thread, I could have been if Pentax/Hoya strategy had been clearer. I answered to your survey has if it was for a "generic" FF system. I am switching to Canon end of the year. With 5DMkII + 24-105f/4 L IS + 135mm f/2 L + Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX + Samyang 24mm f/2.8 (and a few months later 70-200mm f/4 L IS).
Sorry for Pentax, they lost my cash.
08-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Kind of meaningless unless we know the features. Are you saying it's a FF K-7 or K100D?

I think it is safe to assume that any FF would have K7 caliber features at a minimum.

08-07-2010, 12:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How much would you pay for a FF Pentax DSLR?

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote

I'm not interested in features with this question. I can't guess what they'd be, and it's irrelevant to the matter at hand. If we are the "thought leaders" or "tribe leaders" we Pentax DSLR enthusiasts should know what we'd spend on the camera so many of us are asking Pentax to buy.
08-07-2010, 12:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

probably about 2000 body only, I'd expect it from Pentax. They'd have to come up with something really really great to warrant a 5D MKII price tag and maintain the Pentax bang for buck reputation
08-07-2010, 12:50 AM   #7

Pffft. I wouldn't buy one at all. A FF sensor holds absolutely no relevance to me.

I'm saving up for a 645D (prob. wait for a mkII); just bought my first lens.

PS. I just did a shoot with a 5D-wielding 2nd. The pics from the 5D were so-so, so who ever really thinks that FF is an APS-C slayer is delusional.

08-07-2010, 01:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Probably around $2k as an introductory price, though I would likely buy in towards the end of the camera's life cycle as the price drops to ~2/3 of that. I already own enough full frame AF lenses to cover my day to day needs.
08-07-2010, 01:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

What I would pay may vary depending on my impulses. I am getting great results out of my K-7 and feel that a larger sensor isn't necessarily going to make me a better photographer.

I think the FF Pentax is going to release when hell freezes over will be around $1795. Why that low...because Pentax isn't known as a digital FF player and a higher price isn't going to attract any first timers with Pentax. Also, FF isn't the "Holy Grail" anymore and the cost of technology to produce a FF body with another label on it is far less than it was 5 years ago. In my opinion, 90% of any FF sales will be to about 5% of current Pentax owners. (Not a good business decision by Pentax).

Jason
08-07-2010, 03:05 AM   #10

Given K-7-like features and >20MP, i would in the vicinity of $1500-$2000.
08-07-2010, 03:10 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In my approach to photography, there are two types of costs - a) lenses, which are more of an investment, and b) bodies, which are more of a cost. I describe it this way since lenses have a much longer life, can be low in electronics, thus less susceptible to the throw away cycle (features of the moment and electronic failures). Bodies, on the other hand, tend to have a shorter life cycle due to new features / technology, along with failures over time.

So, when you ask about body only costs, my body purchases will be made in a way to a) preserve my lens investments; and b) reduce my body costs due to new features and electronic failures. Therefore, under $1K is my price category. Thus, I tend to stay at least one generation behind, especially with the built in price declines (1 year in time equals approximately to a 50% price reduction). Plus, purchasing a new body every year, I do not need, nor does my skill level demand.

I have avoided SDM lenses due to their initial failures, but also in Pentax's system architecture, image stabilization has and is a body function, thus the lenses could be more mechanical optical and less electronics - no optical stabilization, and no AF motors (body based electro-mechanical screwdrive). This for me creates a very reasonable stable and cost effective system.

08-07-2010, 03:14 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
... Therefore, under $1K is my price category. Thus, I tend to stay at least one generation behind, especially with the built in price declines (1 year in time equals approximately to a 50% price reduction)....
Meaning that a new $2000 Pentax FF would be interesting to you, since after some time the cost would be reasonable?
08-07-2010, 03:24 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertbert Quote
Meaning that a new $2000 Pentax FF would be interesting to you, since after some time the cost would be reasonable?
... but only if it supported my lenses - which are screwdrive, a combination of DA, FA, A and K. In body stabilization, would also need to be supported - to me its valuable in wide angle with ambient low light - when I do not have a tripod.

08-07-2010, 03:46 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
In my approach to photography, there are two types of costs - a) lenses, which are more of an investment, and b) bodies, which are more of a cost.
I agree with this. That's why it was a bit hard for me to answer this poll. There were too many variables. More than likely I'll opt for the cheapest body available in the future. Right now, I'm using a K10D. It works great for my purposes, but I spent more on it than I spent for my K2, MX, LX, and 6X7 bodies COMBINED. And, no...I didn't pick those cameras up after digital came on the scene and dropped the price of film cameras. But even though my K10D is less than 5 years old, it's already been surpassed by the entry level Pentax DSLRs in many respects. SO...would I buy a FF Pentax? That depends upon the price and what else Pentax offers. If Pentax comes out with a FF camera in the $1500-2000 range, but they still have a killer APS-C camera for around $500, then it's a no-brainer for me...I go with the APS-C and never give FF a second thought.
08-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Lets see if they do it first, if its sensible money at the same level as competition, for what I do for a living I would probably buy a couple, as all my old school lens would work just fine.