Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2010, 06:46 AM   #46
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Just wait till next month and see what comes out at Photokina
if pentax deliver the goods on the video side, everything the 7d has with a few neat extras- improve the SR to work really well for video, use a proper video codec, and market the thing with affordable 'video lenses' (rebadges pentax M glass with great manual focus action and large apertures). Get a possitive review out of phillip bloom and all of a sudden indie filmmakers are shooting pentax instead of canon

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
May be off topic but still, there is a digital film camera on my list now (no, they are not my friends or family), GoPro helmet version:

Very nice 1080p HD quality. I wonder if it's universally usable as a short film cam. Right now it is absolutely everywhere in action filming.
yeah that thing would make a great B cam as well as a POV cam, definitely worth picking one up

08-19-2010, 04:01 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clark Quote
yeah that thing would make a great B cam as well as a POV cam, definitely worth picking one up
My co-worker who bought a Go Pro cam used it in a rappeling story yesterday. He strapped it to the helmet of the instructor and was able to get some killer shots of our reporter coming down the cliff. It definitely put you 'in the moment'.
08-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
Actually, I was being sarcastic, not rude.

What bothers me is your decision-making. I see it as a small example of the thoughtless consumerism that makes many of us wage slaves. It also contributes to the degradation of our planet, one tiny bad call at a time.

A month ago you bought a camera for which you had full access to specifications, reviews, and presumably a hands-on trial.

Now the camera just isn't good enough. The camera hasn't changed in the last month. You've changed your mind, which means you didn't do your homework properly in the first place. If your research was that lame, will you have the intellectual discipline to do good work with any kind of serious camera? That's where the cell phone comment comes from.

I think a bit of sarcasm is quite in order.

John

While I agree with some of your sentiment, John, I would not be so quick to judge and come to conclusions about the OP so quickly.

Phuey, now that we've established that you want to make short films instead of casual family videos, a video-capable dSLR may be the creative tool that you need. While the K-x is lacking in key areas, it may be good enough if you are just beginning on your creative journey, particularly if your on a tight budget. Get a fistful of fast manual focus primes on eBay and a good tripod and you're on your way. Work on the art of storytelling first. Take time to learn the technical, of course, but make sure that it is the means, not the end.

If your budget has opened up since you bought the K-x, Canon seems to be making the most waves with video, but don't discount Panasonic. The GH-1 is a solid first video dSLR. From what I've read it's actually one of the most video-centric, with features that videographers appreciate, like a well-regarded 14-140mm zoom that can AF silently while shooting video, a flip-tilt screen for framing unusual angles, external mic input, and the ability to mount a ton of older lenses via adapters. It's at the end of its product life so prices have dropped below $1k. Worth a look.

Good luck.