Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2010, 08:04 PM   #1

Moving away from Pentax..?

First of all, let me say that this forum and all the members here are by THE far the nicest group of people I have ever met and had the pleasure to talk too. But it seems that recently I've been dwelling into video more than shooting stills. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE my 3-4 week old Pentax Kx but it seems that when it comes to video, the camera itself is lacking in features. Well obviously since it's not a dedicated camcorder but the camera itself is lacking HDMI, audio output, etc.

Here comes in the question.

Should I sell the kx and "hopefully" buy the K-7 with the HDMI, audio output features or completely switch to..dare I say it..Canon where they are more dominant in the video dslr gig.

Thanks.

08-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why don't you keep the Kx and buy a dedicated video camera? By the time you finish screwing around with all the try it out options, you'll probably have the same amount of money and a lot more time invested. The K7 video feature is nice, especially with the HDMI output but it Still, is Not, a video camera.

08-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Why don't you keep the Kx and buy a dedicated video camera? By the time you finish screwing around with all the try it out options, you'll probably have the same amount of money and a lot more time invested. The K7 video feature is nice, especially with the HDMI output but it Still, is Not, a video camera.

I see what you DID, there!

I'm not sure but there's something about a dslr with video that gets me excited.
08-06-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Have you considered something like this:
http://www.freshdv.com/2010/05/sony-interchangeable-lens-cameras.html

No clue on pricing but it sure looks amazing

08-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Seeing as how video in DSLRs is first generation, I don't see how any one brand can be dominate. I think choosing a system on a single feature is pretty silly as well. This body will leap frog that body, that body will leap frog this one. What do you end up with? Maybe nine months of having the best video in a DSLR? If your ***** is that small, buy a Corvette and get over it.

Thank you
Russell
08-06-2010, 09:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I had the same reply as others. Why put all the eggs in one basket. Buying a separate video machine makes a lot of sense to me. If the still camera or video camera needs service, you can send one in without losing the services of both machines, not to mention other hazards like rain, dropping it, theft, etc.. All of these machines are so complicated, its amazing that any work properly, IMO.
08-06-2010, 10:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I understand your fascination with using the same camera for both video and stills. And, if you want to do that, Canon seems to be ahead of everyone else with video in SLRs, that is except for the 4/3 format cameras. From a design point of view it's less complex to implement a video mode into a 'live view only' camera such Olympus and Panasonic make.

See if you can get to a big city camera store and try out the camera you're considering. Or you can buy from Adorama or B&H Photo and test out cameras. If you keep them new looking both those stores have good return policies. Then you're only out shipping. I did that with the K7 when I realized that it didn't give me any better IQ or ISO performance than my K20D.

08-06-2010, 10:32 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks!

I was thinking about doing that too.
08-06-2010, 10:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I sold my Kx and got a K7 initially because of the video, but it's not much to write home about.

I would keep the Kx and get a Panasonic TM700k and call it good, that will be the last consumer video camera you'll ever need and then you'll have a perfectly capable DSLR that can also do video work when DOF play is critical to the video shot

I know it sounds like I'm just spending your money, but the most you could sell the Kx for is 450, and then you'd have to buy a T2i or a 7D, and then lenses to extend your zoom range, by that time you'll have spent more on that than the $750 TM7000K and still just have a Video DSLR, which in most cases can't replace consumer video camera in it's current state (despite is potential for creative expression when using video, it's just not very practical)
08-07-2010, 12:39 AM   #10
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think we are too close to the Photokina for changing camera. It's given that new cameras are coming but nobody know their specs (or if they know they don't want to share them :/ ).
08-07-2010, 05:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Do you have a bunch of Pentax lenses? If yes, just upgrade to the K7 or wait a little and see what's coming out from Photokina (September)

Personally i use a video camera for videos, i have a Canon 7D not only don't i use the video feature ...i rarely use the camera over my "entry level" Pentax K200D MOSTLY because of weight ...my Pentax 3 lenses bag is ~1/3 the weight of my Canon 3 lenses bag

I think you might be more of a video person vs a still photographer, you need to decide and gear up accordingly.
08-07-2010, 05:55 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Just get a 5D mk ii/550D and it's over with.
08-07-2010, 06:05 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by phuey Quote
Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE my 3-4 week old Pentax Kx but it seems that when it comes to video, the camera itself is lacking in features.
Slow down...you'll save yourself a TON of money! I used to be in your shoes, but I set a goal for myself. Any step up in gear had to be paid for through my earnings in photography/videography. That'll separate 'want' from 'need' in a hurry.
08-07-2010, 06:10 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

phuey,
Is being able to do two functions in one device really what gets you excited?
I had that also for a while but with a camera (K10D) for doing regular photography as well as infrared and ultraviolet photography. For a while I made it work, but ended up getting a dedicated camera (converted K10D) for doing the invisible light work.
In other words DSLRs are first designed to take still photos. The video is just a cute extra perk. Interestingly, the cheaper camcorders easily out perform the best DSLRs for video function, because they are designed to take videos. The other way around is true too, camcorders can take photos, but the quality doesn't even match that of point and shoots.

I would recommend trying out the cheapest camcorder and compare the performance with a more expensive DLSR. Compare the weight, ease of carrying, whatever you find important, and go from there.
Good luck
08-07-2010, 06:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The way I see it, the purpose of a dslr camera is to take photographs. The purpose of a video camera is to take videos. Use the proper tool for the job.