Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2010, 07:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
The way I see it, the purpose of a dslr camera is to take photographs. The purpose of a video camera is to take videos. Use the proper tool for the job.
Fully agreed with that.

Digital video cameras are well advanced in technical development, and once you use them, you are never going to be satisfied with the part-time video capabilities of even the best Canon or Panasonic dSLRs.

However, a video-capable dSLR comes in handy for casual, unplanned video shots, when the video camera got left at home.

08-07-2010, 07:36 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will echo what has already been said. If you are serious about video, get a dedicated video camera.
08-07-2010, 07:42 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
I think we are too close to the Photokina for changing camera.
I agree. Just wait for few weeks to see what Pentax has then.
08-07-2010, 07:52 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by phuey Quote
First of all, let me say that this forum and all the members here are by THE far the nicest group of people I have ever met and had the pleasure to talk too. But it seems that recently I've been dwelling into video more than shooting stills. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE my 3-4 week old Pentax Kx but it seems that when it comes to video, the camera itself is lacking in features. Well obviously since it's not a dedicated camcorder but the camera itself is lacking HDMI, audio output, etc.

Here comes in the question.

Should I sell the kx and "hopefully" buy the K-7 with the HDMI, audio output features or completely switch to..dare I say it..Canon where they are more dominant in the video dslr gig.

Thanks.
Phuey, can I ask what kind of video you are talking about? Are we talking vacation and family videos or short films and the like?

08-07-2010, 10:01 AM   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Just go with the equipment you need to get the job done.

We wont sling you out of here if it's not Pentax, well I don't think we do.
08-07-2010, 08:05 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Phuey, can I ask what kind of video you are talking about? Are we talking vacation and family videos or short films and the like?
Short films.

I just really like the DOP with a video capable dslr then the average camcorder.
08-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
Just get a 5D mk ii/550D and it's over with.
....you mean get a 5D MKII, or a 550D+K7+TM700k and some some lenses right?

08-07-2010, 08:25 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Short films.

I just really like the DOP with a video capable dslr then the average camcorder.
Sounds like someone needs a T2i, in my experience I can't in good faith recommend the K7 for video given the competition, even though some great things have been done with it. You'll have to bring the checkbook if you want to join the Canon camp though

Check out this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-video-forum/100633-pentax-k-7-vide...canon-t2i.html

The Video on the K7 is definitely an afterthought, but T2i is an extremely capable cinematic style camera and it definitely seems like they made sure it was a main feature, see what DPreview has to say about it: Canon EOS 550D / Rebel T2i Review: 20. Movie Mode: Digital Photography Review
08-08-2010, 04:42 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I will echo what has already been said. If you are serious about video, get a dedicated video camera.
While there is some truth in this, keep in mind that you're telling him to invest in some other camera manufacturer instead of Pentax. I'd rather see Pentax come out with a camera with improved video capabilites (even if it's in one particular model) so that folks don't have to choose between investing in Pentax or investing in someone else.
08-14-2010, 07:27 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Definitely wait for photokina. Hopefully Pentax will meet your needs, otherwise the 60D sounds like your ticket.
08-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #26
Veteran Member

First of all, let me say that this forum and all the members here are by THE far the nicest group of people I have ever met and had the pleasure to talk too. But it seems that recently I've been dwelling into video more than shooting stills. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE my 3-4 week old Pentax Kx but it seems that when it comes to video, the camera itself is lacking in features. Well obviously since it's not a dedicated camcorder but the camera itself is lacking HDMI, audio output, etc.

Here comes in the question.

Should I sell the kx and "hopefully" buy the K-7 with the HDMI, audio output features or completely switch to..dare I say it..Canon where they are more dominant in the video dslr gig.

Thanks.
Maybe you should just upgrade your cell phone.
08-16-2010, 12:28 AM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
Maybe you should just upgrade your cell phone.
Thanks for being rude and totally out of pocket.
08-16-2010, 01:23 AM   #28
Veteran Member

If you can't wait 'till September for all the new announcements from all manufacturers (not just Pentax) then Canon is your best bet; 550D, 7D, or the 5D Mark II. Whatever your budget can afford.

Just know that when you get into video, the DSLR body is the LEAST expensive thing you will purchase.

Oh, and don't listen to all the "get a video camera not a DSLR" and "DSLR's are for still pictures only" comments. They don't get it.
08-16-2010, 02:23 AM   #29
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Fully agreed with that.

Digital video cameras are well advanced in technical development, and once you use them, you are never going to be satisfied with the part-time video capabilities of even the best Canon or Panasonic dSLRs.

However, a video-capable dSLR comes in handy for casual, unplanned video shots, when the video camera got left at home.
Oh reeaa he he heeely?

What the hell are you talking about?

Why, I saw an event being filmed just two weeks ago with a 5D mkii. Perfectly capable. 550D is going to be the cheaper option.

08-16-2010, 02:49 AM   #30
Veteran Member

if i were to buy, this would be my choice.

The lense is specially designed for video. At least this is what i have been hearing.