Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2010, 03:08 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
if i were to buy, this would be my choice.

The lense is specially designed for video. At least this is what i have been hearing.
that's because it's a video camera

08-16-2010, 03:51 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Canon's latest cameras allow a few more options with regard to video than the K7 does. The rumor is that the next camera from Pentax will match those and possibly surpass them. Even so, it is an awful lot easier to get good video from a dedicated camcorder (whatever the make) than from a dSLR. Manual focus is needed, some type of device for stabilization, etc.

Many dSLR lenses do not maintain focus when zoomed out. Traditionally, you would zoom in, tweak your focus and then zoom out, but you need to be certain that you don't have a varifocal lens or you will lose your focus. Video lenses are parfocal lenses.
08-16-2010, 04:03 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
that's because it's a video camera
True. But i thought we are talking about video options with larger sensors.
08-16-2010, 04:58 AM   #34
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote

However, a video-capable dSLR comes in handy for casual, unplanned video shots, when the video camera got left at home.
no, a video capable dSLR comes in handy for professional, planned out videos shots when the unlimited depth of field, terrible noise control in low light and inability to manual focus mean that the handicam gets left at home

remember they shot house on a 5d, i guess they normally shoot it on something like a canon ex1, I don't think anything 'professional' has ever been shot on a handicam, at least without a 35mm adapter and all the expensive gear required to get the image quality to the same level you can get out of a HD-DSLR, and the dslr still has a 2 stop advantage, and better noise control

so there, handicams for videos, slr's for movies

Last edited by clark; 08-16-2010 at 06:30 AM.
08-16-2010, 05:11 AM   #35
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
Maybe you should just upgrade your cell phone.
in all seriousness, the iphone 4 is a wonderful video camera, assuming your main footage is shot at 720 the iphone makes a great b cam when you need lots of depth of field or shooting scenes with tricky focus

i cant say about other brands, but in good light the iphone 4 is definitely up there with dedicated video cams, albeit with very limited functionality, and a poor codec, but if you shoot with these things in mind

remember with video the more equipment you have the better- A/B/C cam will give you the ability to make much more interesting edits

and 3 cam's recording audio and another source recording means you're got decent records of the talent and 3 sources of ambient to chose from

the k7 is also a great camera, much much better than the 550d, maybe even better than the 7d in some areas; weather resistance, price, stabilisation, pentax lenses are much better than canon and at lower prices, manual focus lenses feel lovely and are super cheap, canon dont make cheap lenses and all their lenses except L series are dogs to focus

although the 7d was a big pull, and the 550d makes it almost impossible to not be interested. Of course i'd love to stay with pentax, but my lenses are all manual, so using them on a canon body isn't a problem- but pentax have to get this camera right for video or at lot of people are going to have to get a 550d/60d, the kx is a nice choice for video- i prefer it's output and it does 24p, but 60fps is something I think you'd miss, and currently pentax don't offer this

whatever you do, don't get a nikon, i've been shooting the d90...
08-16-2010, 09:04 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by phuey Quote
Thanks for being rude and totally out of pocket.

Actually, I was being sarcastic, not rude.

What bothers me is your decision-making. I see it as a small example of the thoughtless consumerism that makes many of us wage slaves. It also contributes to the degradation of our planet, one tiny bad call at a time.

A month ago you bought a camera for which you had full access to specifications, reviews, and presumably a hands-on trial.

Now the camera just isn't good enough. The camera hasn't changed in the last month. You've changed your mind, which means you didn't do your homework properly in the first place. If your research was that lame, will you have the intellectual discipline to do good work with any kind of serious camera? That's where the cell phone comment comes from.

I think a bit of sarcasm is quite in order.

John
08-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #37

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
Actually, I was being sarcastic, not rude.

What bothers me is your decision-making. I see it as a small example of the thoughtless consumerism that makes many of us wage slaves. It also contributes to the degradation of our planet, one tiny bad call at a time.

A month ago you bought a camera for which you had full access to specifications, reviews, and presumably a hands-on trial.

Now the camera just isn't good enough. The camera hasn't changed in the last month. You've changed your mind, which means you didn't do your homework properly in the first place. If your research was that lame, will you have the intellectual discipline to do good work with any kind of serious camera? That's where the cell phone comment comes from.

I think a bit of sarcasm is quite in order.

John
I didn't say the camera was good enough. Just the video portion is.

08-16-2010, 02:59 PM   #38
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I agree with John on a certain level. It seems that the video capability of the camera is an after thought for you. You could shell out more money for a better camera with a better video capability, but I think ultimately you will probably be disappointed again. The strength of DSLR is in its still photo feature. The strength of camcorder is in it's video feature. I don't know about you, but when I shoot videos for family gatherings and the similars, I tend to let the camcorder runs for a bit. I can't really do that with my K-x since it eats up memory quickly and gets quite hot too. I assume this might be true for other video DSLRs. If you are okay with shooting a short clip of video then move on to the next, then go for it. There's no point in spending so much already and be unhappy. But and then, if you end up being unhappy again, then note what John stated.
08-16-2010, 11:19 PM   #39
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by clark Quote
the k7 is also a great camera, much much better than the 550d, maybe even better than the 7d in some areas; weather resistance, price, stabilisation, pentax lenses are much better than canon and at lower prices, manual focus lenses feel lovely and are super cheap, canon dont make cheap lenses and all their lenses except L series are dogs to focus
I don't think this is fair call at all. Canon don't make cheap lenses.. I've heard this so many times. Canons AF 50/1.8 is only 99.95! I believe the 7D is weather sealed also.

As far as this video thing goes, I think you'd be probably be happier with a 550D. Although, I hate the feel of that thing, along with the K-x.
08-17-2010, 06:57 AM   #40
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
I don't think this is fair call at all. Canon don't make cheap lenses.. I've heard this so many times. Canons AF 50/1.8 is only 99.95! I believe the 7D is weather sealed also.

As far as this video thing goes, I think you'd be probably be happier with a 550D. Although, I hate the feel of that thing, along with the K-x.
yeah the 1.8 is a absolute steal, it's the one thing that I wish we had on pentax, (although tbh i did only pay £20 for my 50mm 1.7)
but it's so plasticcy and awful, manual focus on that thing is disgusting

other than that there aren't many cheap lenses, the 85mm 1.8 is a great deal, but the 50mm 1.4 is expensive for it's optical quality and every copy i've tried has been poorly made (compared to the 85mm), manual focus on this is tricky too.

that being said pentax lenses are quite expensive too- but i think generally the pentax lenses are sharper, i've heard the 60-250 beats the 70-200, and it's not really the 'cost' which is an issue, it's the quality of the focus ring, canon consumer lenses feel pretty naff and consequently make it difficult to focus pull as the throw is so short, pentax consumer lenses aren't much better though, but are better optically- so if you want quality optics and quality construction you have to go for the L series, or use pentax M glass via adapters (which is what i'm going to do)

and the 7d weather sealing isn't as good as the k7, i've seen videos of k7's being used in the shower, I think the 1d sealing is the same standard as the k7
08-17-2010, 07:19 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Unfortunately video combined with stills is just not going to go away and some of the latest p&s are going to be replacing your big consumer handicams for the amateur user very soon.

I purchased the Sony HX5 and it does fantastic 1920x1080i 50fps footage - combined with a 25 - 250mm lens, usable easily up to iso800 and good color and exposure.

Your consumer handicams can't get 25mm wide and most dog out in low light

Shift Happens

Dylan
08-17-2010, 08:00 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just wait till next month and see what comes out at Photokina
08-18-2010, 01:02 AM   #43
Veteran Member

May be off topic but still, there is a digital film camera on my list now (no, they are not my friends or family), GoPro helmet version:

Very nice 1080p HD quality. I wonder if it's universally usable as a short film cam. Right now it is absolutely everywhere in action filming.

Last edited by georgweb; 08-18-2010 at 01:15 AM.
08-18-2010, 03:42 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Maybe, but that looks interesting! Underwater too...

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
May be off topic but still, there is a digital film camera on my list now (no, they are not my friends or family), GoPro helmet version:

Very nice 1080p HD quality. I wonder if it's universally usable as a short film cam. Right now it is absolutely everywhere in action filming.
08-18-2010, 05:29 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
May be off topic but still, there is a digital film camera on my list now (no, they are not my friends or family), GoPro helmet version...Very nice 1080p HD quality. I wonder if it's universally usable as a short film cam. Right now it is absolutely everywhere in action filming.
My co-worker bought a GoPro camera a month or so back. So far, we've sent it down several slides at a water park, taken it paintballing, and on a canoe trip. You could use it to shoot a film, but you'd probably want some other way to record your audio because the in-camera sound is not that hot. But, for the price, what do you want? LOL We were told yesterday that we have some money in our budget and the GoPro cam is at the top of our list.