Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2010, 10:17 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
lenses for Africa

I live in 'Africa' (big place really) and have done a lot of bushdriving etc.

I like the wideangle lens. The 18-250mm is a great general purpose, cover most situations, lens but the Bigma is now on my 'to buy' list as a 250mm long end is just not long enough.

One issue is paramount - you want to keep lens changing down to a minimum - the matter of dust, you see, is really an issue out here.

Have you thought of taking a pocket camera that does a reasonable WA? That will save you a lens and the hassle of changing lenses. Say for example a Panny TZ7 or 10 or an LX3. All you'll need then is the Bigma.

A 600mm mirror needs a tripod/rest and those OOF doughnuts can be very distracting and of course it is not much longer than the Bigma. But I understand the appeal of the thing.

Good luck anyway and have a great time - don't forget the anti mozzie pills/spray and when the guide/signs say dont feed the animals, they mean it! For good reasons like you might end up feeding the animals in a different way!

08-09-2010, 02:16 AM   #17
Pentaxian

I think your choice for Gamia, staying in a beach lodge is fine.
You might see some primates, the 18-250mm can handle that.
Perhaps you can consider something that does macro too.
There are a lot of flowers, insects etc.

Be sure to use malaria protection, my uncle came back with malaria from Gambia (just stayed in the beach lodge as well) last year.
He was hospitalised for 3 weeks.
I have good experience with Malerone.

- Bert
08-09-2010, 03:43 AM   #18

personally i would trying to get my hands on long glass for wildlife shots - but then its your honeymoon and you didn't say it was a photo safari so perhaps 500mm+ not going to do anything more than give your sore back carrying it around all the time - that said the 600mm mirror might be a good idea light and small and if its a good one should be able to get you nice shots of any wildlife you spot

so i'd think a good fast aperture wide to standard zoom would be good place to start - and then an external flash if you dont have one so you can take nice pic's of your wife against the sunsets
08-09-2010, 06:19 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Brilliant, many thanks for everyone's replies (and reinforcing the message about malaria!)

I'll go with the 10-20, 18-250 and rented 31 I think.

Depending on space, might take the 600mm and the flash.

Proper safari is to come in the future!

08-09-2010, 10:07 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Macro maybe???

Friends of mine who have traveled extensively in West Africa seem to all come back with fascinating bug stories. Might this also be something worth considering?
09-17-2010, 07:46 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Ended up going with the 18-250, 31 and 10-20.

18-250 most useful (as you'd expect), but not a fan of this lens. Great zoom range of course, but shots often lack sparkle, are not of a great IQ, and strangely I often get wrongly exposed images (on the K10D).

10-20 was fantastic - what a lens.

31 Ltd was a mixed bag. Grew to love it, and on my return a lot of my favourite shots were with this lens. Incredibly sharp, even wide open, and beautifully made. However, I can't help feeling I'd have preferred something a touch wider (maybe the FA* 24 f/2...) if I was just going to leave it on. Seems to be a lot of money for the APS-C equivalent of my old M50/1.7 on film...
09-17-2010, 07:55 AM   #22

Seems I am a bit late, hope you enjoyed your vacations and found you made the right choices.

I also travelled on safari earlier this year, had similar questions..
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/87430-safari-lens.html