Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2006, 04:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K10D Auto ISO now works with Exposure Compensation?

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K10D Auto ISO finally works with EV Compensation?

Can any existing K10D user confirm if it really can work or not?

Any reply will be appreciated!

11-30-2006, 05:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K10D Auto ISO finally works with EV Compensation?

Can any existing K10D user confirm if it really can work or not?

Any reply will be appreciated!

Yes, EV compensation can be used when the camera is set to Auto ISO function.
11-30-2006, 05:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Lance
You noticed that too? Isn't it nice when a camera company actually listens to it's users?

Cheers
-Alan
11-30-2006, 05:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
You noticed that too? Isn't it nice when a camera company actually listens to it's users?
It would be even more nice if they would issue *ist series and K100D firmware update addressing this issue...

11-30-2006, 05:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lance B Quote
Yes, EV compensation can be used when the camera is set to Auto ISO function.
Lance, nice to chat with you *again* publicly. Have you got a K10D already to replace your old D?
11-30-2006, 05:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
Hi Lance

Cheers
-Alan
Yes, late is better than none! :-)
11-30-2006, 06:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
It would be even more nice if they would issue *ist series and K100D firmware update addressing this issue...
Yes, I really hope that my K100D will have a new firmware that works in that way!

11-30-2006, 04:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Lance, nice to chat with you *again* publicly. Have you got a K10D already to replace your old D?
Nice to talk to you also, RH.

I have had the K10D for about 2 days now and so far it is living up to the hype. Beautifully built and solid, absolutely wonderful modes and functions and exposure seems on par with MY old D. In otherwords spot on. SR works a treat.

I have not replaced my D as I still love it. My wife wants to use it, so it will still be available to me as well.
11-30-2006, 06:00 PM   #9
Forum Member

Ha ha...

First off...nice to see some familiar people here. Michael, Lance (and Lance your nemesis, George/QC, has signed on also...should be good fun!!)

Anyhow...I'm in the same boat. As soon as I get my K10D, my wife had already laid claim to it as she has taken up photography....the best part...I also liked my DS a lot and would of hated to sell it. Now...its at my disposal as well!

Cheers to all of you and look forward to seeing more discussions!

Sincerely,

Joseph
12-01-2006, 08:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lance B Quote
Nice to talk to you also, RH.

I have had the K10D for about 2 days now and so far it is living up to the hype. Beautifully built and solid, absolutely wonderful modes and functions and exposure seems on par with MY old D. In otherwords spot on. SR works a treat.

I have not replaced my D as I still love it. My wife wants to use it, so it will still be available to me as well.
Congrats, Lance!

I'm interested to the K10D too. But I shall wait for the next batch so as to for the "issues" to be settled down. I think the product has been put onto the market too rushly but I Know Pentax has no choice because of the severe competition (with time too).

Despite you were seeing me I was complaining about my *ist D for some things. Actually, I have been missing one of its feature/function very much, that is, the TTL flash support on it. It also seems that the exposure accuracy of the TTL flash is just right and my Pentax TTL flash on the *ist DS was also on the brighter side (although not yet overexposed).

But the sad thing is I sold both already :-( Now, I only have a K100 with me.
12-01-2006, 02:12 PM   #11

new user first i heard about this?

I am a new pentax ist*dl owner and it seems this issue exists with that model camera too??

if i understand it, if i am shooting with auto iso (200 -1600) and i shoot a pic which comes out a touch dark in P mode ex., if i invoke ev compensation then the shot will go darker if the camera had been selecting iso 1600 prior to ev comp?? That by setting +ev the camera will shoot at iso 200???

(I am less concerned about it happening with flash since the 360 flash under pttl will adjust for the iso 200 i guess?)

another thing thats odd with this camera is the issue about shooting with the remote trigger and having to use the viewer cover plate to prevent errent light from affecting the metering or else we are supposed to lock the ae to avoid such influence instead of the plastic dingus???

The ae lock only lasts for a few seconds (twice metering i think) and the link of ae lock to af lock by setting custom options, is not reliable if the subject is difficult for af to lock and it goes in and out while i am running to get to my position to fire the remote.

The plastic light blocker has to be put on after the eyecup is removed so after you compose the pic and focus and are all set, you then have to wrestle off the eyecup and mount the blocker (can't do it while composing the shot!!), does'nt that disturb the setup??

thanks
12-01-2006, 06:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adamreisner Quote
I am a new pentax ist*dl owner and it seems this issue exists with that model camera too??

if i understand it, if i am shooting with auto iso (200 -1600) and i shoot a pic which comes out a touch dark in P mode ex., if i invoke ev compensation then the shot will go darker if the camera had been selecting iso 1600 prior to ev comp?? That by setting +ev the camera will shoot at iso 200???
Yes, that's the problem, practically when we use auto ISO at low light but we want to override the metering.

QuoteQuote:
another thing thats odd with this camera is the issue about shooting with the remote trigger and having to use the viewer cover plate to prevent errent light from affecting the metering or else we are supposed to lock the ae to avoid such influence instead of the plastic dingus???

The ae lock only lasts for a few seconds (twice metering i think) and the link of ae lock to af lock by setting custom options, is not reliable if the subject is difficult for af to lock and it goes in and out while i am running to get to my position to fire the remote.

The plastic light blocker has to be put on after the eyecup is removed so after you compose the pic and focus and are all set, you then have to wrestle off the eyecup and mount the blocker (can't do it while composing the shot!!), does'nt that disturb the setup??
What you need to do is too remove the eyecup and put on the eyecap, then the camera will meter continous for realtime. But then the problem is that I don't know how to remove the eyecup of my K100D which is the same as the DL. For *ist D and DS eyecup, it's a lot easier to remove.
12-01-2006, 07:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adamreisner Quote

Yes, that's exactly the problem.

QuoteQuote:

Um, the meters will work automatically in a realtime way when you put the eyecap on but you need first to remove the eyecup. However, I don't know how to remove the eyecup of my K100D (ditto the DL). For my *ist D and DS, the eyecup is a lot easier to be removed!
12-01-2006, 07:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I love auto ISO a lot as k10d does the range from 100 to 400. Then it is less likely to miss difficult shots at critical moments!
12-02-2006, 01:33 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I love auto ISO a lot as k10d does the range from 100 to 400.
It's even better than that. While in the mode to set the ISO, you can use the front and back dials to set the start and stop ISO value to whatever you want. You can range it from 100 to 800 if you wish, or even 200 to 400. It is totally under your control.

I love this camera!