Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2010, 07:21 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Focusing screen for K-x

I plan to buy focusing screen for k-x from focusingscreen.com

Focusing Screen

Moreover I plan to buy either Ec-b, Ec-L or K3.

I am inclining towards k3 since it has both microprism plus split image. However, I have no prior experience using focusing screen before so can anyone recommend which one people generally uses?

Thanks
Yusuf

08-08-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I've used the K3 a number of times with Pentaprisms and they worked well enough, though I found them to be to dark for the K200D/Kx viewfinder. So I switched to Katzeye screens with optibright instead. Which actually makes the viewfinder a little brighter than stock.
08-08-2010, 08:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I've used the K3 a number of times with Pentaprisms and they worked well enough, though I found them to be to dark for the K200D/Kx viewfinder. So I switched to Katzeye screens with optibright instead. Which actually makes the viewfinder a little brighter than stock.
Is it darker than stock focusing screen comes with k-x? I am fine if it is not brighter than stock but darker would be an issue.

Also, How about ec-b or ec-l?
08-08-2010, 08:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Is it darker than stock focusing screen comes with k-x? I am fine if it is not brighter than stock but darker would be an issue.

Also, How about ec-b or ec-l?
Yes unfortunately it ends up being darker. Which isn't always a bad thing since the prism(or collar) is the original brightness, therefore, the area of focus ends-up being accentuated and in the film days, this was quite popular(people liked it).
As for the other screens, I've never tried them. So perhaps someone else will have something to share on those.

08-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

This is clearly the wrong forum section for this discussion. If you look in the accessories section there are multiple discussions on this topic, including a very well written review (including photos of the viewfinders of each focusing screen).

I believe this is a matter of personal preference so take my suggestions with a grain of salt. I personally think the Katzeye with Optibrite is best, albeit it is the most expensive. The next in line should be the K3 since it's one of the higher rated ones in terms of brightness and usability. JohnBee is contradicting what I'm saying about the K3 brightness so there's a good chance I'm wrong there. However, I do recall a review saying the K3 provided excellent brightness compared to the stock screen. It features a microprism which the others lack and I think a single horizontal split suffices. A dual split in the shape of a cross is is more confusing than useful in certain situations.

JohnBee: I have a Katzeye with Optibrite and I'm not entirely sure it's that much brighter. I'd love to see a comparison shot of the two screens with and without Optibrite.
08-08-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
@hangu, thanks for the details. I saw some of your other posts too and you seems to have used Chinese screens too. How was your experience copared to k3 from focusingscreen.com?
08-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
@hangu, thanks for the details. I saw some of your other posts too and you seems to have used Chinese screens too. How was your experience copared to k3 from focusingscreen.com?
I've never used the K3 but I do know that microprisms are fairly useful for certain situations that split screens are not useful for, ie fine patterns, water, etc.

I skipped focusingscreens because I had enough with the crappy focusing screens. I wanted the best and I was willing to pay for it.
08-30-2010, 05:22 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I got the K-3 focussing screen a couple of weeks ago and it's revolutionised my manual focussing technique. Can highly recommend!