Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2010, 09:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20D Shutter Lag

Dear Pentaxian Friends, I checked search for shutter lag and found no relevant thread.
Here is what I noticed with the K20D and the AL II lens shooting a house warming.
I shoot RAW + JPEG. Changed from PEF to DNG as I now have PS CS5. JPEG is set for 6MP and high quality. Av Mode. SDHC card is a Sandisk 4 GB Extreme III:-
I had to wait a fraction (very annoying believe me) before taking the next shot. Never happened shooting PEF at the Baby Shower just a week back.
Some shots required the built in flash, and the shutter lag became worse. Expected I suppose with the recharge time.
Request please share your thoughts on this and educate me.

08-08-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Could be the camera waiting for the flash to be ready before shooting again. This can be enabled/disabled in the settings menu. Try switching and see if the problem still exists (of course then you will be taking shots without the flash and they might be black, but you will be taking a shot at least). Could also be the camera waiting for focus confirmation. Try switching into manual focus mode. The camera shouldn't hesitate to fire.
08-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
If you change back to the settings you had before, does the lag go away.

If so, is it some thing to do with cameras internal processing of DNG & JPEG as against PEF & JPEG, no maybe not that sounds kinda unlikely to me.

Sorry, I can't help further, I've never noticed any lag with any of mine, but I only shoot RAW PEF.
08-09-2010, 04:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
Dear Pentaxian Friends, I checked search for shutter lag and found no relevant thread.
Here is what I noticed with the K20D and the AL II lens shooting a house warming.
I shoot RAW + JPEG. Changed from PEF to DNG as I now have PS CS5. JPEG is set for 6MP and high quality. Av Mode. SDHC card is a Sandisk 4 GB Extreme III:-
I had to wait a fraction (very annoying believe me) before taking the next shot. Never happened shooting PEF at the Baby Shower just a week back.
Some shots required the built in flash, and the shutter lag became worse. Expected I suppose with the recharge time.
Request please share your thoughts on this and educate me.
Sounds like a media issue to me.
Try turning off the dual format writes and see if it helps things out.
Also... I find it most helpful to format my cards prior to every shoot.